*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Possibly. I mean it moved like 1cm after being shipped around the world

2. LiamAcer

LiamAcer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's quite an alarming scenario like you say, and it makes you wonder if this could be the actual concern regarding the battery rather than the software part of it. Perhaps the tape itself was originally thought to be more durable during the production stages but obviously not since what you have described with these laptops being shipped all over the world.

Do you actually physically feel it moving around if you rock the laptop around a little or to it's side? The battery layout on the Aero 14 looks exactly the same as well, and no screws to fix it down cannot be seen either - however the battery itself is totally enclosed on all ends in the compartment.

Liam.

3. scrod

scrod Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Looking forward to your review or summary, and from any owner here. How do you like it so far vs. Blade 14, GS63VR and XPS 15? Portability, gaming, build quality, anything really.

4. PT.Gigabyte

PT.Gigabyte Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have received this laptop from Newegg for about 1 week now, it is a nice laptop overall, but i have some doubts about my unit.

1. I saw that most units on the Internet reviews have that "X-rite Pantone" label locate at the bottom right hand corner of their screens, but my unit does not have it.

2. When i got my unit, the "power cycle count" of the SSD hard drive is over 200 times (i checked this data using a few different software). After using it for about one week, the "power cycle count" rises to about 300 times and the "Power on time" comes to 7 hours.

I'm suspecting that i got an open-box laptop (at least the SSD hard drive), because it is very strange to see that a new laptop has a "power cycle count" over 200 times.

Guys, what is the condition of your new Aero 15 regarding the two issues i mentioned? What do you think?
    Does Newegg sell open-box units or Gigabyte uses some old parts on their new laptops or i'm just being too suspicious?

5. brucek2

brucek2 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My laptop is similar to yours PT:

1. No Pantone label on either the screen (no labels there at all) or the keyboard deck (has Aero 15, Geforce, and Core i7). I do have installed color settings in which the file matches the ID of my display panel, and I do feel they improve the quality of movies and videos when activated. I'm not worried about not having a sticker, I could see it being something added just to review units. (I'm much more concerned that apparently at least some review units received IGZO panels, as opposed to the Innolux panel shipped to me (and all other US customers?). Also my panel has a mid 2015 mfr date - when I asked Gigabyte about it, they replied that that's how long mfrs need to stockpile new displays in order to support a product launch.)

2. SMART for my drive also shows 200+ power ons (I'm good for maybe a couple dozen at most), yet only 3 hours of power on time (I'm good for far more than that). I'm not sure how many times a drive is power cycled in the process of manufacturing and initial testing, and then again during qualification of the completed notebook. More likely I suspect there's just something off in the software here?

For myself I'm not going to worry about the drive. I never planned to use it as my primary drive anyway. The rest of my laptop shows no other signs of being used or having wear and tear on it so I'm not worried there.

I am disappointed about the lack of IGZO display as seen in reviews and on the newegg page (mentioned indirectly, as "same panel as Dell 9560.") I am leaning towards my returning my unit because of this, because the keyboard can not register ctrl + shift + n, and because of my concerns over the not-a-recall-but-unexplained-units-taken-back documented elsewhere on these forums.

6. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    No, you don't feel it moving. Especially after I added more tape.

7. PT.Gigabyte

PT.Gigabyte Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Brucek2:

Thank you for the response. At least i now know that i'm not the only one who has no Pantone sticker on the panel.

1. I also have the Innolux panel N156HCA-EA1 (CMN15D7) on my unit, the same one that notebookcheck has reviewed. I don't think that you should worry too much about the mfr date of the screen cause they are usually older. I understand that IGZO panels usually have better color space, but if you have read the review on notebookcheck, the IGZO panel that xps15 uses has a really bad response time comparing to this screen, i heard that the XPS 15 screen has a blurring issue when playing games due to the bad response time. So i'd rather have something with better response time, yet it is a personal preference.

2. I don't think there is anything wrong with SMART, i tested mine using a few different software, they all show 200+ for power cycle count, which is really too much for a new laptop, usually power cycle count should be around 50 times or so since they need to do some initial test. But maybe LITEON has a different standard for their initial testing??

I also have the keyboard (ctrl+shift+n) issue, but i don't use it much, so i'm not concerning it too much and i think that is a software issue which can be fixed in the later firmware. As long as i'm not having a second hand hard drive, i prefer to keep it cause it looks really nice :), although i still wanna cover that orange line on the front cover, any suggestions on that? :)

My battery last about 7 hours for regular uses (some web + word + pdf ) at 40% brightness using Power saver mode, is it normal or a bit less than what they advertised? To get 10 hours, i guess i have to turn off my Internet access, but never tried that.

avalance likes this.
  8. avalance

avalance Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nice to read. Regarding the 7hrs regular use, seems that is okay. Maybe in newer revisions of BIOS and drivers there will be any improvement, also the battery may need some cycles to work proparly (and the software will recognize / forecast littl better then). And yes, maybe liteon has different test cycles or does not reset before shipping the SSD which causes the 200+ on times, but thats no big thing and won´t impact anything out of my perspective.

Regarding the display, I would not be that unhappy not having the pantone sticker and manufacturing date is "long ago", as long the display works nice and colors are okay and there´s no much backlite bleeding whatsoever. Atm i´m using XPS13 IGZO panel (QHD+) and wanna find a video or image compared to the Aero15 display, cause i love the IGZO up on many reasons (black level / colors / brightness), i hope the Aero15 ones will be near that, but not yet found any comparison.

Q: What do you guys think about the fan noise under real life load for over 20 or 30 min´s (in games / or real life usage, not benchmarks or burn in tests)? Are you happy with that?

Regards, aVa

9. LiamAcer

LiamAcer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think it's highly likely that Gigabyte may well be only using the Innolux panel on the Aero 15 and no other panel, and it's pretty bad on NewEgg's part for quoting that the Aero 15 uses the exact same panel as the XPS 15 - just goes to show that they haven't done their research into the laptop properly & their overall review on it is terrible in my opinion.

I also think that Gigabyte maybe sticking to the Innolux panel on the Aero 15 because of the slim bezel design overall, and as already explained - the Sharp panel used in the XPS 15 has a bad response time & suffers from ghosting.

Liam.

agent_pires likes this.
  10. scrod

scrod Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think it is simpler than that. I bet the WVA panel is significantly less expensive than the IGZO panel;-)

I wonder how many returns Newegg has received from their own misinformation? I notice they already have open box returned ones, it was $1799 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...m_re=gigabyte_aero_15-_-34-233-205R-_-Product

The Innolux WVA seems like a decent enough screen that I'm not changing my pre-order. Still would have been nice to have the Sharp IGZO as Newegg advertised. Has anyone outside the USA received an Aero 15 with the SHP1453 LQ156M1?

LiamAcer likes this.