*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. Kamzu

Kamzu Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Had something similar happen to me, noticed it was because I had the fans on silent.

2. TyroG

TyroG Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hey guys received my new Aero 15 laptop, but unfortunately I seem to have coil whine ... it is very noticeable, it's making more noise than the fans. Anyone else got coil whine? I didn't have it in my previous Aero 15 model.

Not to mention but my laptop Windows is not activated, weird. And also the XRite Pantone is not working either. Changing from Smart Color to X Rite Pantone Color seems to do nothing.

I'm afraid my reseller wiped out the ssd or something. Anyone have these issues ?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  3. Philwd

Philwd Newbie

Reputations:
    New poster here. I bought the Aero15 for my son to head off to college with.

Initial impressions:
    - No concerns with build quality. Everything looks good.
    - We did a battery life test. Wi fi on, key backlighting off, fan in quiet mode. Running integrated graphics, web surfing only. Originally battery life monitor prediction was 5 hrs. After 5 hrs battery meter was ~ 50% so we could probably get close to 9 hrs for class notes etc. He's pretty happy.
    - No truly visible back light bleeding. Will need to watch out for it
    - Got the SATA SSD. His first computer with SSD and he really likes it. Boots up in seconds. Added an extra 16Gb memory.
    - Screen looks fantastic. No issues with lid moving.
    - Not having used a trackpad much he's ok with the performance. Ditto for typing. He likes it.
    - We got ours through Gentech and got the ICD paste. The computer case does get very hot playing games with fans on gaming mode. Haven't looked at component temps yet(what are people using to monitor that?). He commented he is getting better performance than his i5 OC'd CPU Nvidia 970 desktop.

Because of the case temps I want to look into better laptop cooling pads. The one he has is several years old. Does anyone have a suggestion on a good cooling pad?

Redteam likes this.
  4. TyroG

TyroG Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    You're lucky. Use Hwmonitor for temps
    Is the X Rite Pantone Color working for you? And is your Windows activated? (Asking this because I bought mine on a reseller too and these aren't working, I don't know why. ) Thanks

5. MikeDiswhoibe

MikeDiswhoibe Newbie

Reputations:
    I just sent mine back to Newegg for the same Windows activation issue.

I contacted Gigabyte and they told me it was likely due to the manufacturer of their boards issuing a duplicate Windows key. I was told they would look into it and get back to me, but they never did...so I RMA'd it.

6. Knacki

Knacki Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone have a solution for STRG+ALT+SHIFT+ anykey???
    Can't believe that the keyboard is working as a Disco but not as a keyboard.

steberg likes this.
  7. TyroG

TyroG Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hey guys what are you idle temps? Mine are 55-60 CPU and GPU 55 with a undervolt of 125 and room temps of 28 C :/ This makes the fan always ON in quiet mode. Which is weird as my old laptop without a repaste were not going ON

8. scrod

scrod Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That seems a bit high for idle. I took some measurements while running a Youtube video and the CPU was around 40C. No undervolting or other tweaks, other than retailer liquid metal paste application. The GPU was not reporting temps either in HWInfo or the Gigabyte Dashboard, presumably because it was disabled. I wonder if it's possible yours isn't automatically switching off via Optimus?

I have a couple pics of the passive stand I purchased here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/gigabyte-aero-15-review.805885/page-2 . I think it would also work very well if combined with any small desktop fan blowing from the side across the surfaces. My son's old Cooler Master cooling pad had a bottom mounted USB fan blowing up through steel mesh. The laptop sat right on that mesh plate, raised only by the rubber feet. I wondered if it had any net benefit at all, given the any improvement from the fan's forced air could be offset by the mesh surface that restricted airflow to the bottom of the laptop. Plus it took up a USB port and the small fan it used was almost as noisy as the ones on his old laptop. I'm sure there are newer designs that have better fans and don't have a mesh design that partially blocks air to bottom mounted intakes like those on the Aero 15.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  9. lemegetin

lemegetin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    OK.. so time to start discovering the unpleasant particularities of the laptop. it seems that for some reason i am losing the p button on the keyboard. it does not respond at all. after a restart it come back but it is irritating.. not sure what is triggering it though.. i have udpated the firmware through fusion but please let me know if you have experienced something similar... cheers

10. Meetloaf13

Meetloaf13 fear the MONKEY!!!

Reputations:
    Any of you having keyboard problems, did you have the fusion app running in the background? I've had problems with it open (like odd Windows key behavior)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk