*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. comps

comps Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hi iunlock, I've been following your postings and reviews for Aero 15 for a bit since I'm very interested in the laptop. Will your review be delayed due to the recall? Looking forward to it, been checking twice a day! Thanks so much for all you do.

2. alexey.v

alexey.v Newbie

Reputations:
    Interesting note on possible recall, I wonder if thats why all units are "sold out". When I talked to Newegg regarding keyboard issue they said no one else reported that problem, which isn't true. I tried contacting Gigabyte but they don't really have any answers as the team in charge of troubleshooting is overseas in Taiwan I believe.
    For reference my video:

3. brucek2

brucek2 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I just received this response from Gigabyte technical support:

Dear [Customer],

Yes, I have see that video and the Notebook Marketing and HQ is aware of this but we never advertised the Aero 15 with Anti-Ghost keyboard so some key combinations may not register. Thank you.

Best regards,

GIGABYTE Tech Support Team
    This is not satisfactory to me as I believe that ctrl and shift are keystroke modifiers that are supposed to work under even the most basic implementation of the keyboard spec. For example, N, shift+N, ctrl+n, and ctrl+shift+n are all different keystrokes under all platforms, o/s, etc and this has nothing to do with "ghosting" or "n-key-rollover" or any other advanced capability. (If any readers here feel I am incorrect, please let me know.) The response that Gigabyte does not believe it is an issue is very concerning.

agent_pires likes this.
  4. ffrules

ffrules Newbie

Reputations:

seriously? that's insane

5. brucek2

brucek2 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    New answer received re: keyboard after I disputed the first one:

Dear [customer],

Our HQ is working with the Keyboard manufacture to see if they can resolve this through a KB firmware update. This will take at least a few weeks. Thank you.

Best regards,

GIGABYTE Tech Support Team​

agent_pires and Cha72 like this.
  6. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I got my Aero 15. Overall feel is great. I didn't know the display bezel was rubber; it's much nicer than the FHD xps 15. The keyboard is fantastic.

However, I have been having trouble getting hotkeys to work. I think it might be related to the gigabyte smart manager software, which doesn't work when I try to open it.

One thing to note is that the battery is not secured to the case in any way other than a few pieces of tape. If you don't have a second SSD in, the battery will actually move itself into the area of the ssd! Quality engineering, folks.

I used electrical tape to better secure the battery to the chassis and installed a second drive.

7. CedricFP

CedricFP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for the quick write-up, @Eason. Can you please explain what you mean when you say it looks better than the FHD XPS15?

8. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I mean the rubber on the side of the screen looks and feels nicer than the plastic/rubber on the XPS's screen. The overall build is quite nice. Feels solid.

agent_pires and CedricFP like this.
  9. genomecop

genomecop Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The battery not being secure isn't to reassuring.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    Eason likes this.
  10. agent_pires

agent_pires Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Maybe this is what the hardware battery issue is after all?

genomecop likes this.