*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. HermannnTheGerman

HermannnTheGerman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Downloaded the *.exe and ran it. It automatically extracted the driver files to a folder. I unchecked the "install" checkbox at the end. Then I followed your instructions to install the driver via "ETD.inf".

The result is ambivalent.

positive: The touchpad seems to follow my finger's movements more precisely. Additionally I can finally click&hold with one finger and drag with a second finger (I'm used to this operation mode coming from MacBook Pro). With the original driver this behaviour was only available when clicking in the lower left corner.

negative: I loose almost all other functionality, i.e., no more tapping, no right click / menu, no gestures (scrolling, ...) , all configuration options gone (ELAN configuration not available any more, no new options Windows Settings > Devices > Mouse & Touchpad that would compensate this loss of configuration).

Typing disables the touchpad. I found that pressing Shift resuscitates the touchpad.

So sad this driver seems not to work on the Aero. :-(

UPDATE
    This driver made the touchpad feel a lot more responsive so I did not want to give up on it. I assumed that to properly install this driver including all components, one has to run "Setup.exe". However, out of the box "Setup.exe" refuses to start on the Aero 15. I had to set "CheckHWID=0" in "Setup.ini" to make it run and install the driver. Now Windows Settings reports that I have an "precision touchpad" (see screenshot) and offers a lot of configuration options. C00l. :) Goodbye to the antiquated-looking and stale Elan configuration tool. ;) I'm well chuffed. Now we have to convince Gigabyte to officially provide the "precision" driver, too.

Capture Precision.PNG

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    cjoshuav, ryajso, ChrisHPU and 4 others like this.
  2. agent_pires

agent_pires Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just put my Aero 15 to the running BattleTech Beta.... ambient temp today is 29C .... idling at 48-50C .... on load hit 78C for CPU ... GPU hit 70C

vinceboiii, hmscott and Meetloaf13 like this.
  3. ReeseATPH

ReeseATPH Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello Everyone... I've been having some trouble with both the Aero 14 (2017) and Aero 15 and wanted to see if the problems were widespread. I have so far sent back two Aero 15's for excessive backlight bleed and I'm about to send back an Aero 14 for the left fan rattling and some minor backlight bleed. Is this typical of the Aero's ?

I'm getting ready to give up and pick up the New Lenovo Legion with 4k display.

4. willofsound

willofsound Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Would you guys think this is too much light bleed? Looks like I might be retracting my previous statement.

5. ReeseATPH

ReeseATPH Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've never even seen that before - WTF ?

Normally it's like one maybe two corners.

scrod likes this.
  6. willofsound

willofsound Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I think I'm going to send mine back for sure- The reason I didn't notice this bad of backlight is due to an issue with my screen as a whole I think. When I move the laptop lid up and down (normally) it shifts the screen bleed. Sometimes it's actually goes away, but now there's another issue - Randomly when moving the screen, the laptop will go into sleep mode (But not even close to closing the lid).

Hoping maybe a 2nd one, I'll be lucky?

7. agent_pires

Reputations:
    Yeah afraid to say there seems to be a hardware fault with yours. You'll get light bleed on any screen regardless but it's how much you can notice. Surprised you have visible bleed on white. You'd generally only see it on a full black background but what you said about the movement of the lid causing it to sleep I'd definitely send it back for a replacement.

8. agent_pires

Reputations:
    Do you now have full functionality with the touchpad now? Does it turn off when typing etc?

EDIT: I tired this and gave it a go and it seems it just worked! I made the CheckHWID=0 adjustment first before going into device manager and installing via EDF.ini file and it worked straight away. Only thing I'm noticing right now is I'll have to adjust palm rejection again because its become super sensitive where as before I didn't have any pointer issues.

I've communicated the trackpad findings with Gigabyte UK and it's been forwarded to Taiwan HQ so hopefully the next update might be official support for precision drivers on the trackpad!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  9. Meetloaf13

Meetloaf13 fear the MONKEY!!!

Reputations:
  10. scrod

scrod Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah the AS SSD benchmark I posted of mine vs. the OEM Transcend were not even close. Granted, I doubt the difference impacts things like gaming FPS much, if at all, but certainly helps with loading times and such.