*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. Meetloaf13

Meetloaf13 fear the MONKEY!!!

Reputations:
    So I just did a clean install after installing my 960 EVO... it appears that those partitions may beginning 2 different SSDs...is this problematic?

[​IMG]

One problem I'm having is that I ordered the upgrade to Windows Pro. Upon clean install with my new SSD as the primary, the new Pro OEM key won't activate. I guess it only gets one MoBo/SSD ID combo or something?
    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  2. Kamzu

Kamzu Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Aw man... Too late, just did the creator's update last night. =(

I did do the Gigabyte smart back-up before that though?

hmscott likes this.
  3. Kamzu

Kamzu Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It looks like it's really hard to find another stick of CBD24D4S7D8MB-16.

Must be some OEM only model. :(

hmscott likes this.
  4. CedricFP

CedricFP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Shame about the creator's update, but is a restore really necessary? From my experience, re-installing W10 is fairly painless and the greatest time-sink is doing all the updates and app-installing post install.

Does the recovery image rectify that?

Vistar Shook likes this.
  5. LiamAcer

LiamAcer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm only advising to back up the original & recovery partitions in the event that you need to factory restore the laptop if say you get a virus or corrupt Windows itself and no other option to repair the installation, plus restoring the factory defaults is expected if you need to RMA or send in for repair - plus it looks better if you sell the laptop on as well.

Restoring to the factory image in question via the F9 key in the BIOS is fairly painless and much quicker than reinstalling Windows manually as well - it takes literally 10 minutes from the start to arriving back to out of the box state, I.e. brand new & all original drivers already pre-installed with the recovery image.

@Meetloaf13 - The original key that the laptop comes with is tied with the motherboard and eventually linked to your Microsoft account. Depending which version of Windows 10 yours came with, a reinstall of Windows will automatically install either Home / Pro straight away without giving you the option to choose your version.

Liam.

huntnyc and CedricFP like this.
  6. LiamAcer

Reputations:
    You should also be fine in that case as I believe the Smart USB recovery is basically the recovery image & all partitions ported as a back up USB, it should work in a similar way to the F9 function in the BIOS.

Liam.

7. agent_pires

agent_pires Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I can confirm what Liam is saying is true. Have just tested my machine and hit F9 for recovery and can see creators has screwed up my recovery partition.

[​IMG]

huntnyc and LiamAcer like this.
  8. scrod

scrod Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is there a simple way to prevent Creator's Update? Did a google search but nothing looked particularly intuitive for windows 10 home. I just did a gigabyte smart backup usb since his aero hasn't updated to creator's yet.

9. LiamAcer

Reputations:
    As far as I know Creators Update is still only available via Windows Update to those who have the compatible hardware. However those who want to proceed with it at their own risk can still do so via the Windows Upgrade Assistant program.

Either way Microsoft don't force you to download it, we all had the update arrive via Windows Update on all of our machines at work and still gave us the option to install.

Liam.

MiSJAH, scrod and huntnyc like this.
  10. scrod

scrod Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Perfect- I thought it would be one of those automatic downloaded items that installs on its own and you only know when you reboot and it starts telling you about new features...

I did find the Windows Update -> Advanced Options -> "Defer Feature Updates" and clicked that as well, just in case.

EDIT: Apparently this option is on my desktop because I have Pro, but not on the Aero because it shipped with Home...