*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. scrod

scrod Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Very unfortunate. On our Samsung big screen, I was able to reduce the effect with external screws that loosened the panel, but could never eliminate it as others had claimed was possible.

2. dlUltra

dlUltra Newbie

Reputations:
    So I am enjoying my Aero 15. Only concern is high temps for the CPU(85-86s, 25C ambient with signs of thermal throttling, even with a laptop cooling pad, then again I am running 1440p on a external monitor) during gaming sessions(GPU is just fine 70-75C). I had my fan control on Gaming, would switching to "Normal" make it better? I have no idea how they differentiate these two fan profiles.

Also, I heard that there are people with undervolting mods for Aero15, where can I find them?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  3. Kamzu

Kamzu Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What RAM should I get that will match with the stick that comes with the laptop?

4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The laptop maker may change brands or models within a production run, certainly over many production runs they might use different make / models, so you need to not go by what someone else's laptop has - you need to check for yourself.

You can use CPU-Z to look at the memory make / model, here's an example:
    2z3qvkn.png
    You can download CPU-Z here:
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

5. uberdev

uberdev Newbie

Reputations:
    Re: the keyboard modifier keys issue - with fusion firmware v1.1.5 Ctrl + Shift + N works. However, I remap my Caps key to Ctrl for development work, and Caps + Shift + N, along with several other combinations, do not work.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897578.aspx (remap tool for Windows, but I actually dual-boot Ubuntu 16.04 LTS/Win10)

Support essentially told me that they don't consider my 'unusual' setup valid. This setup works on every other laptop I've owned, as well as external keyboards.

Sadly, this is a deal-breaker for me, and I'll likely return/resell the laptop.

Is there an aftermarket, drop-in replacement keyboard available for the Gigabyte Aero 15?

6. yakm

yakm Newbie

Reputations:
    When installing the SSD i removed the foam from the SSD spot. Am i supposed to remove the foam next to the battery too? I am worried because the foam next to the battery puts pressure on the SSD.

7. HermannnTheGerman

HermannnTheGerman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @vinceboiii , I assume that you are referring to this guide. What is the application that creates the green battery icon on your taskbar to the left of the notification area which can be seen in the screenshot you included:
    [​IMG]
    Also I notice a difference in the display of remaining battery life (5:40 vs. 9:58). My Aero 15 is more like 5 hours when I'm just "browsing the Internet".

@uberdev , that's great news but how do I get this Gigabyte Fusion firmware? My Gigabyte Fusion displays "VER 4.1.6 FIRMWARE 1.1.4" and Smart Update does not provide any more recent drivers.

Speaking of Smart Update, after updating it to 3.5.9 it displays an error message when starting "GMSG has stopped working". Anybody else observed this issue?
    [​IMG]
    Update 2017-07-16: After updating Smart Update to 3.6.2 the error message is gone and Smart Update works as expected.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  8. yakm

yakm Newbie

Reputations:
    To get 1.15
    Open Gigabyte Fusion then click the gear next to minimize and close

HermannnTheGerman likes this.
  9. vinceboiii

vinceboiii Animals are friends, not food.

Reputations:
    Yes, that is the guide I followed. The program is batterybar. You can get it at https://batterybarpro.com/ I know I'm getting more than 5 hours with browsing probably 6 hours still really good.

agent_pires likes this.
  10. LiamAcer

LiamAcer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    IMPORTANT HEADS UP FOR OWNERS LOOKING INTO UPGRADING TO THE LATEST CREATORS UPDATE

Guys, I was meant to post this up the other day after my initial findings but I've only just remembered to now. I first discovered this on a brand new 7700HQ Aero 14 that I was working on for a friend the other day - before commencing with the Creators Update, it is imperative that you do a complete backup image of all the original Gigabyte partitions FIRST beforehand. The reason for this is that after upgrading to the Creators Update, the original Gigabyte partition is somehow messed up / corrupted in the process and if you attempt to carry out either the F9 factory reset / Reset this PC option to restore back to factory default, the built in Gigabyte recovery program simply kicks you out of it when you attempt to start the process.

Even though I discovered this on the latest Aero 14, I imagine that this is highly likely to also affect the Aero 15 considering that they are near enough identical laptops in terms of specs and the overall software setup.

This may be automatically rectified by Windows / Gigabyte in time but for the time being - please bare this in mind before upgrading. In order to backup your original Gigabyte partitions, download & install the free version of Macrium Reflect free in order to carry this out. The complete partitions together as one image (I believe there should be five partitions in total, as per Disk Management within Windows) should take up around 60GB on a backup drive.

Many thanks - Liam.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017