*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. sapstar

sapstar Newbie

Reputations:
    Fingerprint reader on my Gigabyte aero 15 with 9th Gen intel stopped working. I see the below error in device manager. I tried updating driver but it says it already has the latest driver.
    I manually downloaded the fingerprint reader driver from gigabyte website and that didn't work too. Can someone please help fix this issue.
    [​IMG]

PS: I was able to fix this myself by forcing driver installation from device manager using the following option.
    "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer."

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  2. Kooly2000

Kooly2000 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys I am thinking to buy new Aero 15 with rtx 3000 series and I need help in few concerns!!
    First, I wonder if it is risky to buy Oled version because I heard that it may get burn ins over time,change in quality or picture retention .. have anybody face this issue before? especially aero owners more than 3 years before now ..

Secondly, I may sometimes work(programming) in cafes or public places and I also seen some revies talk about the fan noise will that be a too loud to use it in public places!!

Please Give me your feedback guys

3. Kittys

Kittys Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes oled has a risk of burn in but if you are careful there are people even with Alienware R13 OLEDs that panels still good even after some abuse, and those are first gen panels with this bieng second to hit market at least. It was battle tested and they decided it was good for mass market finally seemingly... My first batch Aero 15 OLED has only suffered from the whole panel itself bieng bad which they have replaced but long term theres been no burn in for me or noticable image retention its different technology than LG CX and TVs its more akin to phones approach to oled.

If you are going to have massive amounts of static screens then standard panel may still be for you however, though the high nits of the oled panel helps a heck of a lot in overly bright places when working. All thin and lights also have for the most part meh fan noise but there is a quiet mode and if you want more control someone made an awesome manager replacement called AeroCTL. You can also make new fan curves or lock fans into certain speed to fit your needs in the stock app, you just cannot go under 20% fan speed unless you use AeroCTL or another work around. Laptop will spin down lower automatically Gigabyte just does not trust us I guess.

The only other thing to consider is battery life. The oled draws more power if you are going to be unplugged a lot, it can be mitigated by setting it to 1080P and using darker UIs to degree but still can draw more. Some days I get 9 hours unplugged, others I get 4 hours...it really depends on content and does not have uniform power draw like standard panels. Oh and oled under linux is still sometimes iffy so keep that in mind unless you want retinas to be burned, otherwise its solid option.

Kooly2000 likes this.
  4. Kooly2000

Kooly2000 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks Kittys this was really helpful!!! I have seen the new aero 15 in HIDevolution and there is ability to buy 2 years dead pixels warranty is that mean that they will cover the burn ins or picture retention if happened?

5. Kittys

Reputations:
    You would have to shoot an email over to HID to ask about that in regards to the oled panel, since the gigabyte screens are set in place and then the front piece is glued and press fit on even they tend to just do entirely new top panel. I would imagine HID needs to source top panel from gigabyte or send it in for you through their own rma system if that happens and since it specifies pixels as oled is still rarity.... I would verify.

6. factory_666

factory_666 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello all. I want to add a 500GB SSD to my Aero 15x v7 (7700HQ) - only for storage and gaming, I'll leave the OS on the current SSD. However I'm not sure which SSD's are compatible. I've been searching here for a while, but haven't found conclusive info.

I found a user list of compatible SSDs and RAMs for v8 as well as an official Crucial SSD list for v8, but considering how fidgety Aero laptops are, I'm worried that this list would differ for v7.

In the country where I'm currently stuck I found a Crucial CT500P1SSD8 model which is listed as compatible in the lists above at a decent price - anyone heard of these working for v7?

7. Kooly2000

Kooly2000 Newbie

Reputations:
    HIDevolution just replied me with below response which made me more confused between oled and 1080p :) ..

Hello,

Yes it does include burn in and picture retention cases. Shipping is not included you would have to ship the laptop to us and pay for shipping both ways.

We have a HIPS (HIDevolution International Prepaid Shipping) Service which can be selected in the laptop configurator. That would cover shipping costs both ways for 2 instances per year if anything goes back with the laptop.

So for example if you choose a 2 year warranty, you can also select a 2 Year HIPS service to give you the extra piece of mind and save on hefty shipping costs in the even something wrong happens.

Thank you,

8. Kittys

Reputations:
    At that point... Mixed media, full screen apps, and coding? Oled. Staring at VIM most of the time? Pick the FHD panel. If all you are doing is programming for most of the time its on and the windows task bar is always there, something will happen eventually.

9. Kooly2000

Kooly2000 Newbie

Reputations:
    Great! So what about the keyboard rgb lighting can I fix it to one light for all the keys? Or it has to be rainbow lights ? And if yes should I configue it with every restart or just once?

10. headkaze

headkaze Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have an Aero 15X v8 and I would check if they still use the same crappy keyboards in their latest models. When I bought mine the previous model had keyboard problems. They never fixed it. It's a hardware issue and the firmware updates do not fix it. Be wary.