*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. Vertix

Vertix Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Guys,

I have an Aero 15 Classic XA (RTX 2070 & i7-9750H).
    I made an attempt to undervolt my pc using ThrottleStop and I realize that the microcode of my CPU is 0xCA.
    After searching on the net, I understood that this microcode locks the undervolting.
    My BIOS version is B02 / F003.
    I have no experience regarding the installation of BIOS versions or changing the microcode.
    Can someone help me understand the process.

Best,
    Axel

2. tm125690

tm125690 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Axel,
    I have not updated my BIOS or changed CPU microcode, so I don't have any first-hand advice for you. I am somewhat surprised that your 9th gen Aero has the undervolt lock. When did you purchase your laptop? Did you buy it new or used? Which supplier did you purchase from? From your post I assume that you have never updated your BIOS?

3. Vertix

Vertix Newbie

Reputations:
    I know it seems weird because I remember that I think I was able to undervolt when I bought it in December 2020.
    I bought it new from Newegg. I didn't update my bios yet because I don't know what is the changelog and I can't find it.
    Apparently, a recent Windows Update change the microcode of some CPUs to 0xCA.

4. Dan Mornill

Dan Mornill Newbie

Reputations:
    On my 9th gen Aero 15 SA with FB09 BIOS I can undervolt the CPU as I want.

5. podin

podin Newbie

Reputations:
    can anyone confirm if they're removed the 4 GHZ max frequency restriction from the latest FB09 bios currently on gigabyte website? If not, i'd really appreciate if someone can link me to the bios version that is not restricted as i'm looking to revert to it.

boggles the mind that they dont upload a changelog.

6. Zigzagzug

Zigzagzug Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone have the fb05 bios/ex files for the aero 15xv8 (8750)?

I'm trying to get a set of hyperX
    (HX426S15IB2K2/32)
    ram to work and margroloc posted here that he got the kit to run with fb05 bios version.
    His ram sticks are the exact same model except mine has hynix chips and his had Samsung...
    This machine is sooo picky with ram, it seems
    I've tried bios fb0A (latest) and FB08 which are available on the gigabyte website.
    Tbanks

7. Zigzagzug

Reputations:

Does anyone have the fb05 bios/ex files for the aero 15xv8 (8750)?

I'm trying to get a set of hyperX
    (HX426S15IB2K2/32)
    ram to work and margroloc posted here that he got the kit to run with fb05 bios version.
    His ram sticks are the exact same model except mine has hynix chips and his had Samsung...
    This machine is sooo picky with ram, it seems
    I've tried bios fb0A (latest) and FB08 which are available on the gigabyte website.
    Tbanks

8. Zigzagzug

Reputations:
    I am (trying) to upgrade the ram on my 15x v8. I have the original
    v-color tn416g26d819-sb 16gb CL19
    Stick that came with the laptop. I'm about to put it up on eBay... Or you can send me a message/comment if anyone is interested in buying it. No issues with it. Its pretty much impossible to order anymore...

9. speedy1979

speedy1979 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Today my Gigabyte Aero 15w v8 died due to unknown hardware failure.

On 6/27/2020 my Gigabtye Aero gave me a blue screen several times; each time the screen last less than a second and no dump file was created.

On 6/28/2020 I reinstalled windows after formatting the ssd thinking that it was driver conflict or something else windows related after getting several more dump-less bluescreens. Then I reinstalled my games and while playing I got another bluescreen same as before; no dump file was created and screen was too brief to really see anything. So I set my phone to record the screen and after reviewing the video frame by frame I was able to see the error code on the bluescreen which was (WHEA Uncorrectable error) after some research I discovered this typically a hardware related error. So I replaced the ram and then the SSD drive and finally the wifi card. Still got the same error which would suggest that the fault lies in the motherboard it's self.

Some background.

This laptop was purchased on 7/11/2018. Has been used exclusively on a Thermaltake Massive TM laptop cooling pad (model number CL-N002-PL12BL-A)for that entire time. Obviously it wasn't enough to stop the hardware failure/degradation. Ironically the battery is fine. I always thought that the battery would go first, the battery in my HP x360 didn't last more than 9 months before swelling up.

10. slokbal

slokbal Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello there my fellow aero owners / enthusiasts,

Wanted to share some insights to perhaps help someone, anyways.

Since exactly 14 days ago I’m the proud owner of an Aero 15 OLED XB i7-10875H RTX 2070 super max-q, very happy so far.

I’ve been creeping this forum (along with other sites) through google search to help me aid in upgrading to a suitable new RAM and SSD, couldn’t really find that much on the RAM spectrum so I contacted Kingston and Gigabyte.

After a quick response from Kingston assuring me my preferred RAM the HX429S17IBK2/32 should be compatible I decided to buy it along with the Samsung 500Gb EVO plus. (I also contacted Gigabyte (took around a week), they gave me the usual RAM compatibility list and the Kingston wasn’t on the list)

Arrived today, installed and worked like a charm, zero issues with installation. Cloned the disk using Samsung migration without issue and the RAM gave no issues either (runs at 2933 mhz and dual channel). Just plugged everything in and it worked.

As a side note, I used throttlestop to undervolt by 160 and repasted the “messy” paste job + added some gelid pads (also on the new ssd).

Runs like a charm, haven’t averaged the temps yet, but if anyone wants me to I’d be happy to.

Hope this helps some people facing the same doubts I had.

Cheers