*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. sapstar

sapstar Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for your quick @Kittys. I am in the UK and Samsung 16GB RAM is quite pricey compared to Crucial. So looking for alternatives. It will probably be cheaper for me to just install a crucial in 1 slot and sell the Samsung 8GB and buy another crucial 16GB if I can't mix them.

What would be the problems with mixing RAM. These two RAM sticks seem to have the same exact specs.

2. huantx

huantx Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello. I mixed RAM in other laptops before, and there was no problem. Just realize that both sticks will work at the lowest speed of the two. Pay attention to CAS Latency here.

If you plan on buying another stick in the future, it might be worth getting some stick with lower CL than the one you have now, and in the future upgrade to another one with the same faster latency.

If you use sticks of different size, they will work in what iis called "Flex mode". That is, the lower 8GB of the 16GB stick will work in dual-channel mode with the other 8GB stick, while the rest of the memory of the big one will work in single-channel.
    More info: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005657/boards-and-kits.html

3. sapstar

sapstar Newbie

Reputations:
    @huantx Thanks for the information provided. From what I understand the RAM stick currently in the laptop will be Samsung M471A1K43CB1-CTD. This has exactly the same speed, voltage and CL as the 16GB Crucial CT16G4SFD8266. Crucial website lists this as a supported memory. The laptop and the 16GB RAM should be delivered early next week. I will try the RAM and see how it goes.

4. Kittys

Kittys Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    While it may work, its not guaranteed. Crucial uses Micron dram for the memory whereas Samsung uses...Samsung. While they are the same cas latency all of the other timings will probably not match which will result in the motherboard running them at the lowest common denominator speed (which would be ew) if you were brand mixing but the ram used the same base dram it would be a different story, especially since even for the same dram chips profiles are going to be different and we do not have access to those settings on the Aero. While Intel has a more flexible IMC its still up to the bios and these laptops are Samsung validated, if the bios cannot run 2666 mixed its going to default to jedec or not post without any way to fix it. (tldr; it may work...but odds are it will just be stuck at min. jedec).

edit: they both seem to be 2666 jedec cl19 though so...heres to hoping for the best.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  5. KEVIN WILLIAM

KEVIN WILLIAM Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, I bought an Aero 15 OLED laptop from someone recently. They reinstalled Windows and lost the Pantone color profile and recovery partition. Does downloading the profile from Smart Update give you the pantone profile that comes with the laptop originally? I heard they were calibrated for each panel specifically.

The laptop also has some fan noise (I put some oil on it and it's much quieter now) and the panel has lighter grays on the left side. I was thinking of RMA'ing it. What would Gigabyte do if I sent it in? I wasn't sure if the manufacturer warranty covers this. Thanks

Last edited: May 19, 2020 at 10:53 AM
  6. Kittys

Reputations:
    If you install the pantone 1.0.0 app then it will pull the .icc with newer control center versions. As for the panel itself oled isnt good with gray gradients and seeing banding is part of the territory unless you have won panel lottery (kind of like lcd banding when it comes to pure blacks and whites when testing with solid color). Is it visible outside of gray backgrounds? If you throw up a film like interstellar and the panels misbehaving in same way where its very noticable and takes you out of the film then I would say it warrants an rma but it just is the panel quality and normal gray oled banding wont present itself in normal media consumption.

Unless you are in the business of taking photos of aluminum and steel panels and then looking at them on your screen full screen grey wont be impact in real world scenarios, but if you are seeing it in mixed use thats def. an issue.

7. KEVIN WILLIAM

KEVIN WILLIAM Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you, I wasn't sure if it was a normal thing. Doesn't seem noticeable unless during media. Would Gigabyte rma my laptop for the fan noise? Do they usually fix the issue or give out replacement units? I was wondering because my warranty ends soon and I'm thinking I should send it in before that.

Last edited: May 20, 2020 at 2:45 PM
  8. Kittys

Reputations:
    For me they replaced the entire top half of the laptop and fans so I doubt they will fully replace any chassis unless its a total loss and their fault somehow. Are the fans ticking or just noisy? Gigabyte EU told me with my first RMA that there was a known factory issue with the first batches of fans so if they replaced it a second time (Octoberish) it would likely have the same issue again since the replacement set had same problem, but this new set from Gigabyte NA is finally solid and does not tick or have high pitched airflow whine so its likely finally fixed.

You can RMA it and just go for it, itll be around a month without it and the worst that could happen is you are just out of the shipping cost and time without the system but if the early models did have known flaw and they werent pulling my leg to not deal with me then them replacing fans shouldnt be a struggle at all. You could also mention the screen uniformity issue and leave it up to them to see if its within spec (because oled, probably is. if you could share a photo of the screen though can tell you for sure ) and if they grace you with a new panel or not but they will likely replace the fans without fuss.

9. KEVIN WILLIAM

KEVIN WILLIAM Newbie

Reputations:
    Do you have the super quiet mode control center by any chance? Been trying to get the AERO to be completely slient when I'm not gaming.

10. Kittys

Reputations:
    I think its this one. I have too many versions backed up lol