*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. Aaron Pham

Aaron Pham Newbie

Reputations:
    Maybe u mess something up with your throttle stop settings?

2. drieschel

drieschel Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Throttlestop settings are not persistent I think. The laptop is only starting when one of the inserted sticks has lower timings (with 19 19 19 43 max). And the RAM is running on 1333 Mhz clock speed, in case both sticks have these slower max timings (see attached image).

Attached Files:

3. CocoLoco

CocoLoco Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Anyone else having an issue with excessive "System" CPU use? Several times a day, I am noticing CPU running higher than it should and I look and see this pic. After googling, everything pointed to Nvidia/directx. I tried disabling Nvidia graphics, and the problem goes away. But if I turn of Nvidia graphics, it eventually comes on again.

Any suggestions?

2019-12-20_6-01-41.png

4. DvP

DvP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Dear Aero 15 people,

after my Aero 15 X9 was DOA (USB 3.1 port defective, consumed 60W at idle) I can now finally use it. But I struggle to find the options "super quiet mode" and "super boost mode" which Gigabyte promotes!? Mine is always running the fans...even on idle doing nothing. The super quite mode would make sense to me since I have no intention fiddling with Trottlestop for now and I won't use maxpower for more than some seconds when doing RAW foto work etc.
    I do have Gigabyte Control Center 19.10.21.02 installed and I have literally no idea where I should be able to turn on those modes. I activated quiet...but like I said. Fan is on...almost all the time.

Thank you very much for the help!

DvP

5. dstone1983

dstone1983 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the gigabyte aero 15 oled 1660ti version. I can't seem to find anything regarding VUDU and UHD compatibility with this laptop. Is there a reason why Netflix works just find, but VUDU doesn't when it comes to UHD? Granted the netflix app always crashes on me for some reason. I have to use edge in order to play netflix without crashes. I have tried switching to Nvidia graphics as the dedicated card and that didn't seem to work.

My pc is running a fresh install of windows 10 pro and not the version that the laptop came with (could that be causing this?)

I appreciate any help with this.

6. Nerazzuri09

Nerazzuri09 Newbie

Reputations:
    Is there any official information on what are new features or fixes of bios version.i recently got aero 15 oled which was on fb04 version,i upgraded to fb08 and have no info on what changed. I do notice that the screen flicker(color change) when I started windows is atleast gone now

7. nr_clark

nr_clark Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all, I'm a new & proud owner of a Gigabyte 15 classic laptop (RTX 2070 max-q, i7 9th gen, etc)

I have concerns regarding the longevity of the machine.

Q #1: The laptop gets just too hot when playing anything GPU intensive even at max fan mode (fn + Esc). Does Gigabyte use thermal paste on the CPU & GPU? I can apply Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut or something to help, but I was just wondering if they beat me to it.

Q #1.5: The rear of the laptop is very low and when casually resting on a flat surface, I don't think it's enough room for air flow thus causing issue #1. Any way around this?

Q #2: The battery charges all the way to 100% and I was concerned about the long-term battery health as a result of always fully charging. I wanted to keep it in good health by limiting max charge to 80% or something. But it seems the Control Center doesn't have an option for that?

Q #3: The laptop wakes up from sleep mode every 4hrs or so all on its own. Is this a bug?

Q #4: (not longevity-related) I was wondering how to get Stereo Mix on the machine (AKA record what u hear)

8. CocoLoco

CocoLoco Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have had it a few days on my Aero 17 i7/1660. Don't see anything changed of substance. Certainly no change in circuit whine, fan management or excessive throttling on battery.

9. gnlu26

gnlu26 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I can answer a few of these questions:

1: There is obviously some kind of thermal paste on the cpu/gpu but its nothing super fancy. There was another thread around here talking about performance optimizations, and it seems like repasting won't help that much. I have liquid metal on mine and it'll still thermal throttle (90C CPU) if I'm not paying attention. Fear not! there are a few ways to get the temperature down to something reasonable.
    1a. Be sure to undervolt your CPU with throttlestop or XTU. This is probably the biggest improvement you can do. Repasting might give you 1-2C but undervolt got me 5.
    2a. You can OC the gpu a little bit with Afterburner. This one won't help a ton with max thermals, but may give you a few more frames without raising the temp.
    3a. Lastly, and the easiest one you can do. On my V8 every time I plug in to AC it switches my power profile to SmartManager High Performance. From my limited testing, this is the worst possible thing you can do for gaming. It sets the CPU to max clock, even if the CPU doesn't want it. This guarantees I will hit thermal throttle in any intensive game. Changing to balanced mode lets the CPU decide when to boost and I have seen no change in FPS, but I never hit 90C anymore.

1.5. Use a laptop cooler just to get some elevation. In a pinch, I use my wallet or other small object to elevate the back of the machine when gaming. Also, if you're using an external monitor never play with the lid closed.

2. I don't have any hard data to back this up, but I have much less battery longevity issues on newer machines than older ones. Some of my old laptops the battery would be shot after a year of heavy use, I'm not seeing that anymore. I think the charge management these days and battery tech is significantly better. I wouldn't worry too much about it. You will most likely be upgrading before the battery gives out.

3. Is it exactly 4 hours? If I leave mine plugged in to AC, Windows will almost always turn it on in the middle of the night or reboot it if it was left on. Mine never turns on when AC is unplugged though (Windows 7 will do it however, which destroyed an old HP laptop I had in a backpack).

nr_clark likes this.
  10. nr_clark

nr_clark Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the tips. I finally got around to tinkering with the laptop after exchanging it for another (same specs) thru the retailer. The 4hr wake-up issue isn't happening on the 2nd. I guess it was a bug?

I figured out how to limit the battery max charge! In the Gigabyte Control Center, under Manager tab, there's "Charging Policy". I selected "Customize" and the limit could be set to any number above 60%. I put 95% and the battery shows as high as 97% at that number, so it fluctuates by a few.

I undervolted the CPU with ThrottleStop by 1.50V, no issues with that AFAIK. I tried to OC the GPU on Afterburner and the software wouldn't allow any mods due to being a non-desktop GPU (huh?), so I installed EVGA Precision X1 instead. I didn't modify anything and went straight to the VF Curve Tuner scan. Even with the ThrottleStop UV disabled, every single scan results in a BSOD...EVGA is known to be buggy. Not sure what to make of it. Perhaps I got one of "those" GPU's.

Btw in the EVGA HWM panel tab, my GPU (2070 max-q) temp reaches 86 C under max load. :vbthumbsup: