*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The Aero has 4x lanes of PCIe 3.0, a USB 3.1 Gen 2 and DP1.2 wired to the thunderbolt controller.

2. fscussel

fscussel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So my aero 15 X9 is presenting a problem. I think it's software related. When I'm in the battery it's fixing the cpu speed at a low level (0,8ghz (8 x 100) or 1,7ghz (17 x 100)). I have checked the powerplan and it's set for high performance, with minimum processor speed of 80% and maximum 100%. I don't know what could be wrong as to set the processor at such slow speeds and why it's stuck and not changing the speed on the fly. I've checked with AIDA and it's not throttling either.

3. nukke

nukke Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Do you use the Gigabyte Control Center software? It could be getting downclocked in there.

Maybe a better question would be: how recent is this? Was there a program or update that you installed (or uninstalled) recently?

4. drieschel

drieschel Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's great to hear! :) So it is a fully tb3 compatible port (except power delivery), isn't it?

5. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Correct, no power delivery. The 4 lanes of PCIe are taken off the PCH so while the maximum bandwidth is theoretically capable of 4x PCIe 3.0, it will never achieve it in practice.

6. margroloc

margroloc Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Leaving some random documentation here for someone lucky to find:

15x v8 does not support external gpu enclosures very well (no hot plugging, at least on razer core x chroma) with bios version FB05 (very very old version) - on reconnect the egpu is not detected in device manager, requires reboot. Updating to FB0A (latest, 2019) made the situation better, the egpu was detected on reconnection but couldn't be enabled in device manager due to some error code. (note for anyone updating bios - very scary process for this machine, mine blue screened in the middle of the BIOS update but everything was fine). I was concerned FB0A would have locked the cpu power limits but gigabyte have taken no such step. Then I unlocked the bios and overclocked the ram, ofc had to cmos clear a bunch of times while testing. The bios update (other ones may work too) either in combination with the cmos clear or me figuring out how to eject the egpu properly (nv task tray icon -> disconnect) have fixed all the egpu issues. Now it can be disconnected/reconnected without reboot, reconnect just requires manually enabling from device manager. I already had latest TB3 firmware even on such an old bios, likely most of this same model does too.

eGPU hasn't been discussed much here. one post on egpu.io mentioned disabling the internal gfx - not necessary. the gfx selector built into windows 10 will route apps to the egpu. sadly the nv drivers should take care of this but don't. egpu looks like an afterthought for nv and ms, just by luck it works. but it does.

misc note on ram overclocking; painless process to dump/mod/flash the bios, holy grail finally achieved. cmos clear is a pita, battery connector is hard to remove. wiggle it out from each side, use a plastic pry tool to dig into the connector. leave battery and rtc connectors unplugged when testing settings. just leave on AC, bottom panel connected but unscrewed, and if can't post unplug AC and hit the power button for a cmos reset. after a cmos clear the machine always reboots itself 3 times (sometimes even showing bios splash) to setup (presumably) its default memory timings. makes testing a long process. fyi no you can't overclock iGPU or bclk or turn off spread spectrum from bios.

Stock
    2x32GB 2666 tCL 19 tRCD/tRP 19 tRAS 43 tRTP 10 tWR 20 (detects 21) tRFC 734 tREFI 10400 tRRDL 7 tRRDS 4(5) tWTRL 10 tWTRS 4 tFAW 28 tCWL 18(17) CR 2T
    My settings
    2x32GB 3466 tCL 19 tRCD/tRP 21 tRAS 43 tRTP 5(6) tWR 10(11) tRFC 560 tREFI 32000 tRRDL 6 tRRDS 3 (detects 4) tWTRL 8 (10) tWTRS 3 tFAW 23 tCWL 10(9) CR 2T
    SA +100mV (bios, memory controller is part of SA/uncore), Vddr 1.20 (stock)

M471A4G43MB1-CTD K4AAG085WM-BCTD (its samsung m-die)
    tCWL is not a mistake, it really goes that low. tCL and tRCD/tRP cannot be lowered any more. CR 1T wont post. tREFI errors at 64000, fine at 32000. some of the timings entered into bios don't correlate with software detection or always off by 1. not sure what's going on there. 3666 just doesn't work: atrocious timings, +150mV SA, more Vddr doesn't work. modules don't scale with Vddr. haven't pushed other timings further with this clock, anything more is marginal. m-die is not world's best, but obviously capacity. being able to tighten it up is novel and nice, benchmarks prove perf gain.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2019
    tiredmeliorist and custom90gt like this.
  7. Sabs47

Sabs47 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Question - Has anyone seen a serious battery drain after updating to Windows 10 1903? I did a clean install on the laptop and went to 1903 and all of a sudden my battery life is cut into half. I've ran all the powercfg checks and what not but there is no answer as to why the battery is draining so fast.

Anyone got solutions?

8. nukke

nukke Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Not on my x9. What power plan(s) have you tested with? What Nvidia drivers are you using? Do you have the "hybrid graphics" option selected in the Nvidia Control Panel? If yes, try switching to "integrated" and test further. I bet the issue will be with some sort of driver compatibility wonkiness.

9. Sabs47

Sabs47 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ran through all of that to no avail. I ended up taking a bullet and doing a clean install to win 10 1809 and now the laptop is normal as if nothing ever happened. Running cooler with no spikes and no issues. Not sure if its an isolated incident. I've read online where win 10 1903 is causing all this chaos.

Edit: I forgot to mention im running the Aero Oled with the 2070

10. Hristo Kolev

Hristo Kolev Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, has anyone found a way to reverse the FN keys? I'm literally going insane from pressing the FN key AND the F-keys to control the brightness or volume. On my old laptop there was a key reverse button.

I don't believe that 2600 euro machine will be missing such a basic feature, so can somebody enlighten me, please?