*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. HussainQ

HussainQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I remember when this happened to me, I opened the laptop up to reseat the ribbon cable, and things have been fine since :)

Oh wait, that doesn't happen in safe mode. Then try uninstalling fusion/keyboard drivers, reboot, and reinstall them to see if that works.

2. TLCH723

TLCH723 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So according to support the TB3 only support one monitor.
    upload_2019-10-11_15-30-39.png

3. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This is unfortunately the expected behavior. For two displays to be driven by the thunderbolt port with this adapter, two DisplayPort signals must be wired to the thunderbolt controller, which is not the case here. Other devices do support such a configuration, like many Dell XPS models.

Some other thunderbolt docks (like the HP Zbook dock) get around this limitation by building an MST hub into the dock itself. This allows the full bandwidth of the DisplayPort signal (usually limited to DP 1.2) to be split between multiple display outputs. Consequently, you would be limited to 2x 4k30 displays in such a case.

4. drieschel

drieschel Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Which Aero? I have two displays over display port and a TV over hdmi connected to a thunderbold3 docking station, which is connected to my 15Xv8.

5. TLCH723

TLCH723 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have the same one 15X v8 (i7 8750H w/ 1070)
    I think it is bc your dock, the startech, uses the USB protocol instead of the TB one. Or as alaskajoel said the dock itself have the MST hub.

6. drieschel

Reputations:
    As far as I know the the 15Xv8 has a fully wired TB3 port (40gb/s). Only the charging capability is missing. According to the technical specifications of my dock, it can handle 2x4k displays@60hz or 1x5k display@60hz, so it's not using the MST technique.

7. alaskajoel

Reputations:
    If that is in fact your dock, its actually not even a Thunderbolt dock but a USB-C dock instead. It only uses DisplayPort Alt mode for the single HDMI 1.4 port. The dual DisplayPort outputs are provided by a DisplayLink chip which is basically a USB 3.0 video adapter. Those ports are being driven by software via your CPU and not the GPU.

8. drieschel

Reputations:
    Yes, I can see the DisplayLink display driver in the device manager. How much bandwidth is available on the laptop's usb-c/tb3 port? If it does not have the 40gbit/s it wouldn't work with the 2x4k@60hz. That's what I assume at least. Besides, I can use the displays which are connected to the dock for playing games with the dedicated gpu.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  9. alaskajoel

Reputations:
    The DL-6000 chip in that dock can use the full 10gbps from USB-C in the Aero. The HDMI signal is sent directly from the USB-DP Alt signal so it doesn't count against that limit. All displays using the DisplayLink outputs use their proprietary DL3 compression algorithm to shrink the bandwidth required to output the image. The method employed in this newest version of their compression algorithm is not publicised but it's likely using some combination of variable refresh rate, limited color space, chroma subsampling, etc. It is also adaptive, so depending on what else is being used over the USB/DMI bus, (gigabit ethernet, USB peripherals, SATA and nvme drives, etc.), The displays can use more bandwidth to improve the image.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  10. drieschel

Reputations:
    Thanks for the clarification. I was looking for a dock which can handle 2x4k@60hz displays independent. That's why I chose this dock.

There are still some things not clear for me:
    On the product page of the 15Xv8 they say it has tb3. Also there is a lightning sign next to the port on the laptop.
    How many PCIe lanes are wired with the usb-c/tb3 port of my laptop?