*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. Driftingnfsc3

Driftingnfsc3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    thought some of you guys might be interested in this pwm test i did with the razer blade 15 OLED. the gigabyte aero 15 OLED uses the same panel. notebookcheck did not mention that the 60Hz pwm isn't actually a pwm signal in a sense :p

Darkhan and Joikansai like this.
  2. wrongchew

wrongchew Newbie

Reputations:
    I've been having issues with "Deep Control" when setting fan curves. I've set it as shown in the picture, but when my temperature is 40C the fan is still very quiet, well below 45%. I'm comparing this to 45% on Fixed Mode for custom fan control. Even if I set the curve to be at 100% starting from 40C nothing changes, so Deep Control doesn't seem to be working for me. Anyone have a solution? I have an Aero 15w (GTX 1060, i7-8750h).[​IMG]

3. Meetloaf13

Meetloaf13 fear the MONKEY!!!

Reputations:
    I've spent all morning trying to game on my brand new Aero 15-x9 for the first time.

Loaded with the i9 & 2070, 16 GB RAM (I'm getting another 16GB stick in the mail today), and 2 1TB SSDs.

I have tried undervolting with throttlestop to decrease temps, I've tried pegging the fan to MAX 100%, I've tried combinations of all these things. I'm thinking the machine is simply getting too hot (which is stupid). My OG Aero 15 with the 1060 ran Fortnite just fine, around 100+ FPS and 144Hz without issue.

Both machines are 1080P, no 4K. It is pushing a couple monitors, but that shouldn't matter much.

The laptop is on a stand so it's not directly on the desk for better airflow.

Any ideas?

Do I underclock the i9 and try to keep temps down? If so how would I do this?

Any other suggestions are welcomed. I'm not too keen on repasting as it would void warranty.

Thank you

4. LindsayD

LindsayD Newbie

Reputations:
    I posed the question above to Gigabyte tech support via email and after a week I got this reply:

"Please kindly note from the Intel XTU site, the utility is not valid for the laptop CPU. (You may refer the Intel's site here) In addition, the setting in Intel XTU will force to change certain settings in the Control Center that we do not suggest you use the utility on the laptop. "

I'm baffled since the Lenovo X1 Extreme I had has the same CPU and undervolting is standard procedure. I doubly baffled since XTU seems to come bundled in with the Gigabyte Control Center download.

There's no point in me trying to go back to Throttlestop because whilst that was installed I couldn't open Gigabyte Control Center. I had to deinstall TS, and GCC, then reinstall GCC and re-invoke XTU. I then discovered my XTU watchdog feature no longer worked and I suddenly got the bland skeleton BIOS.

What settings in the Control Center does XTU change?

5. gnlu26

gnlu26 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What temps are you getting and what performance issues are you seeing?

Looking at your signature, you had the i7-7700 previously. The problem comes from the i7-8750h and up (especially including your i9), they are all volcano chips. You could absolutely consider lowering the boost clock on your machine with throttlestop. Another thing to look at is the windows power profile that gigabyte put on. On my v8 they set the minimum cpu frequency to be max all the time. This generally just clocks the cpu higher for now reason, just let the cpu clock up when needed instead.

I assume the X9 is similar enough to the V8 to say that you shouldn't mess with repasting. The cooling system itself is not adequate and gets saturated with the heat of the system. Repasting helps get the heat to the cooling system, but if that system is already hot then it doesn't do much... My system has liquid metal and still hits 90C on most games.

As for benchmarks, I don't play Fortnite, but I do play other e-sport titles like Overwatch and with my 8750/1070mq I play on very high/ultra and at a locked 120fps. Set to 120fps instead of 144 gets me 75-85C instead of 90C.

6. Meetloaf13

Reputations:
    Thanks for your advice. I've since bought a cooling pad and tried to keep the CPU from going full max and I'm gaming at mostly in the 80s at 144hz

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

7. otezs

otezs Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is there a list of known models that is prone to issues like Aero 15 W8 ...etc? I recall seeing that somewhere but can't find it right now. I do like the design of aero better and the long battery life is a huge plus. Keeping my eyes on the Aorus v8 thread for updates but any advices would be appreciated.

I am considering the following models...
    CAD $2699 @ AERO 15-X9-RT5P w/ Core™ i7-8750H, 16GB, 1TB SSD, 15.6inFHD, RTX 2070, Windows 10 Pro
    CAD $2599 @ AORUS 15 XA-F74CDW w/ Core™ i7-9750H, 16GB, 512GB SSD + 2TB HDD, 15.6in Full HD 240Hz, RTX 2070, Windows 10

8. Meetloaf13

Reputations:
    Otez, fwiw, I just picked up the X9 with the i9 for $1,899 + tax.

Machine is a beast.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

9. otezs

otezs Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    oh wow, even with the conversion rate, that's a sweet deal! How'd you find that!? I have not seen deep discounts at all for any of the Aero/Aorus lineup. I do see MSI and Asus getting decent discounts here and there. Let us know the full spec so we can envy and drool :) With even more powerful processor I wonder if you are essentially plugged at all time haha. Cheers!

10. Charleston98

Charleston98 Newbie

Reputations:
    Greetings,
    I own an Aero 15 X9 and I tried to update the Control Center from itself, but Avast messed the installation up putting some important stuff into the virus chest getting it crashed. I restored those archives (gllicense.exe and something else) and set up an exception but it no longer works out, it doesn't even open when I double click or run as administrator either, which means I'm not able to control the fans speed, CPU TPD, Keyboard RGB, literally NOTHING. Reinstalling several times different versions didn't solve my issue. Does anyone know any solution?

Thank you in advance