*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. steakikan

steakikan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For sure it is not 2 amps as it is charging my phone slowly. I think it provide 500ma but gotta check with usb tester when I came back home.

2. LindsayD

LindsayD Newbie

Reputations:
    Likewise. XTU running fine since installation a month ago, then yesterday I did some routine Windows 10 updates, updated chipset driver in the Gigabyte control centre utility, and installed an update for the control centre itself. This zeroed out my XTU values so I reset them, and when I hit 'apply' I got a warning message exactly as you did. Tried re-installing XTU as admin, no difference. I went ahead and applied my undervolt anyway but set it a little lower than I had originally.

I would really appreciate any advice on this one, as I rely on XTU.

3. LindsayD

LindsayD Newbie

Reputations:
    At absolute idle, with nothing open, and my power management and undervolt tweaks applied, my 15-X9 RTX2070 idles at around 47 degrees. With a couple of Edge tabs open in the background and email, the temp can fluctuate up to around 53. Edit: temps are a couple of degrees higher when on charge.

Your settings may be different to mine (I skew my setup towards quietness rather than performance and I run a Balanced power plan, I disable turbo boost and re-enable it only when the task I'm doing might need it) and I set cooling mode to Passive. I also undervolt with XTU, although on this machine I only gained a benefit of two or three degrees (I got a much better result on the Lenovo X1 Extreme).

I have my fans set to 'quiet' incidentally, otherwise they are on all the time. It's not the loudness of the fans which irritates me, it's the high pitch of the fan motor (which is actually more audible at lower rpm).

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  4. Driftingnfsc3

Driftingnfsc3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ok. i went through a similar situation a while back with my aero 15x v8 (page 316-317 on this very thread). are you sure you completely wiped the original ssd? to confirm, with the original ssd plugged in and booted into windows, press win + x, and go into disk management. see you you still have a WinRE or Windows Recovery drive that is some 10GB+ big (i dont remember the exact size of it, but its bigger than your typical <1GB WinRE partition)

if you still have this partition, you have a chance of bringing back the factory reset feature, albeit my method is a bit convoluted. the F9 key relies on not only that partition, but the original factory image to be installed, as the two are linked upon first bootup.

lets get the easy stuff out of the way first. you need to have an empty usb drive, at least 16GB though i feel like i needed a 32GB drive. once you do, install and run Smart USB Backup from Gigabytes website and choose the flash drive to turn into your USB Backup. once done DO NOT try to factory reset your device (****running the USB Backup at this point, which does NOT have the recovery image, will ERASE EVERYTHING, INCLUDING FACTOR RECOVERY IMAGE). if you go into the backup you made and look inside the recovery folder (i think that is what it was called) there will be no install files inside. you are going to have to manually copy over the windows install files over.

to get access to the recovery drive, do the following:
    1) run command prompt as administrator (press win + s → type cmd → right click "command prompt" → left click "run as administrator"

2) type "diskpart" without the quotes, and hit enter.

3) type "list disk" without the quotes, and hit enter.

4) find the original disk based off of its size... or if it is the only disk remaining.

5) type "select disk [insert disk number]" where the disk number is the one you found. (i don't think i need to keep repeating myself saying "without quotes and, hit enter")

6) type "list part"

7) find the recovery partition number that is related to the recovery partition. you can match the size of the partition with the partition i said to find earlier using disk management.

8) type "select part [insert partition number]" where the partition number is the one you found that pertains to the recovery drive.

9) type "assign"

10) you should see a message saying "DiskPart successfully assigned the drive letter or mount point"

once done, you can go into you file explorer and you will see your recovery drive show up. i advise you to backup EVERYTHING in this partition. for the USB Backup itself, browse the original recovery drive, and copy the installation files from the folder "RecoveryImage" the files should go something like install.swm, install1.swm, install2.swm and so on. copy all of these to where the recovery image should be on the Smart USB Backup. you should also have access to your display's factory calibration in the "Display Profiles" folder. the profile from there goes into a separate folder on the USB backup if i remember correctly.

here is an image of the process (left to right) on my msi gs60 (excluding the Smart USB Backup):

[​IMG]

and an image of the backup recovery drive i extracted from my aero 15x v8. ignore the System Volume Information files. i used EaseUS only for this particular backup.

[​IMG]

EDIT: if you run into any issue creating the USB Backup using gigabyte's software, use Rufus to format the drive with a GPT partition table first, then try again.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    bberry110 likes this.
  5. Meetloaf13

Meetloaf13 fear the MONKEY!!!

Reputations:
    nm 10 char delete

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  6. Jeehong

Jeehong Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Can you guys confirm that recent versions of Aero 15 don't have keyboard issue(input ignoring, double input, etc.), including most recent one(with renewed chassis)?

7. Meetloaf13

Meetloaf13 fear the MONKEY!!!

Reputations:
    I just got the 15-x9, so far so good.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

8. Judrick

Judrick Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So I bought a Aorus 15 xa with the 2070. I had a strange issue and I can’t locate anyone having the same issue. I been playing Wow and noticing random black rectangle/squares showing up on my screen. I even isolated one and plugged my laptop into my TV and it’s not showing up on the TV screen but is showing up on my laptop.

9. safety1g

safety1g Newbie

Reputations:
    control centre version 19.05.10.01 and I have the Aero w9

from the Gigabyte website, under the RTX series section.

I emailed Gigabyte to find out what these bars mean, and apparently the bars next to the CPU control the Intel Turbo Boost and the bars next to the GPU toggle between power saving mode and performance mode.

10. LindsayD

LindsayD Newbie

Reputations:
    Interesting - I don't have any bars showing next to my CPU (I'm running the same version of control centre). I wonder if that's because I'm on a balanced power plan?

Another phenomenon I saw a couple of days ago is that my bios no longer looks like it did two weeks ago. I'm on FB08, which looked attractive and had a good range of options. When I looked at it a few days ago (same version) it's now just a bland skeleton bios, basic grey and blue interface, and most of my options have gone. I have no idea how that happened - all I've done is update the control center app, deinstall and reinstall XTU, and update chipset drivers. It's also running a little hotter.