*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. ongsta

ongsta Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My AERO came with G.Skill F4-2400C16S-16GRS, I'm looking to purchase the exact same stick to get 32GB ram. Has anyone else done this?

Just a little concern based on all the posts about ram incompatibility.

2. TLCH723

TLCH723 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Which version do you have? I assume is the v7 since v8 come with 2666 RAMs

3. ongsta

Reputations:
    I was under the impression it was V8 but I could be wrong, it's the 7700HQ with GTX 1060 and 1080p 60Hz panel

4. thisisscotts

thisisscotts Newbie

Reputations:
    Just wanted to share my experiences with upgrading the Aero 15x v8 1070 SSD and RAM:

1) SSD: I bought the Intel 660p 2TB m.2 NVME. Installed it in the unoccupied slot (vertical, furthest from the screen hinges). It worked first try, no problems. Enabled via disk management, formatted, running fine.

2) RAM: Laptop came with Kingston CBD26D4S9D8ME-16. Was unable to find a local supplier for the same model, but kept finding Kingston KVR26S19D8/16 when I googled for the original. Did some digging and found that some users had reported success with the KVR26S19D8/16. Initial test in-store booted, loaded Windows, but stalled repeatedly with the new stick, also when on its own. Got a refund for the stick and went home. Ended up having the same problem with my own original stick (stall), so I left the laptop to do its thing and it came good when I got home (might have been a Windows background service that made it appear stalled).

Today went and bought the exact same KVR stick from a different store (the original one had sent my rejected stick away since the packet was open). Brought the new stick home, no luck with booting from it, even solo at first. Got the black screen of death that others have reported - when powering off, after a few seconds the machine will power itself back on. Put the original stick in solo, no problems. Played a few games of dota, then tried the new stick again. No luck. Swapped slots, put in each stick solo in different slots, haphazard experimentation. Sometimes the new KVR stick would boot on its own, sometimes not. Original stick booted fine on its own.

Tried no sticks, same symptoms as before - black screen, no activity, no clue. Tried solo sticks, dual, swapped slots, no luck. Gave it one last try with dual sticks, black screen... got sad. Decided to start pressing the F2, F10 and F12 keys because I'd seen them in Post/BIOS boot before. Suddenly the screen turned on and the Gigabyte logo appeared. Booted into Windows, 32GB physical ram reported, rebooted just to check, running ok so far. HWInfo shows ~1330Mhz (x2 DDR = 2666), timing 19-19-19-43. Signed up to the forum and started typing this.

So, two hints that *might* help people:
    1) If you have the black screen of boot death, maybe try the F12 keys (or other keys). I think by the end I was pushing them several times (e.g. 5). I think when the laptop discovers new ram (and is happy), then the boot screen will show the Gigabyte logo and text at the bottom with F2/F12 for setup screens. It seems that when it's using ram it's already happy with, then the boot screen will show the Gigabyte logo only. However, I know my actions are correlation, not necessarily causation at this point (and I'm unwilling to start swapping around sticks to recreate the situation, in case I've actually just gotten lucky).
    2) Before installing any new ram disconnect your battery. If you get stuck in the black screen boot loop, your two options are to let the battery run down or yank the battery whilst it's running (I did the latter, had no problems, but the connection is delicate and I don't recommend it when you have the option of doing it whilst it's off).

Good luck!

[Edit] See this thread for a motivated effort to consolidate working RAM/SSD options.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  5. ongsta

Reputations:
    @thisisscotts - thanks for posting your experience, it gave me a bit of a push to go for the G.Skill!

My experience: As mentioned above; my 7700HQ Aero 15 came with a stick of G.Skill F4-2400C16S-16GRS (the S after C16 denotes Single vvs C16D which is Dual for matched pair) and I managed to find another exact same stick for sale. Because it had the S denotion, I was still a little worried given that they weren't technically 'matched' even though they were the same model.
    I picked up the stick today and it was an APR2019 date on it where as the stick in my notebook has a JAN2017 date; both timings and voltages were the exact same though.

I plugged it in, hit the power button and it was stuck on a black screen. 30 seconds goes by and my heart begins to sink and then after a few more seconds everything boots up as per normal. So I can confidently say that for anyone considering upgrading their G.Skill 16GB 2400MHz with another G.Skill F4-2400C16S-16GRS; that it works a-okay with no need to swap anything. Just straight plug and play.

thisisscotts likes this.
  6. thisisscotts

thisisscotts Newbie

Reputations:
    Awesome mate, glad it worked out for you! Wish that it had only taken 30 seconds for mine to kick in... alas, it took me a couple of hours of attempting to get it working... haha :'(

7. factory_666

factory_666 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My Aero 15x v7 once completely died and I had to send it for motherboard replacement (happened a year ago, has been working fine with the new moba). I never realized what it was, but I also remember leaving my laptop in sleep right before it broke, so maybe it also stopped charging like yours.

The only thing I had to do after moba replacement was transfer licenses for all my Microsoft Store items from my old moba to my new moba (two Forza games) as the Store wouldn't recognize my laptop with a new moba as my laptop and the games wouldn't launch. Steam worked fine.

8. frostwarefx

frostwarefx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I hardly use my laptop, bought it for use only when I travel so it's also set to sleep and plugged into mains all the time.

Looks like these mainboards have a life span of 1-2 years or they are just problematic

9. factory_666

factory_666 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mine died after 2 months. Granted I'm a heavy user and the laptop gets physically abused as it travels with me a lot.

10. deadlyrhythm

deadlyrhythm Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    HELP
    Does anyone know of a way to access the inside the webcam lens of the aero 15?
    I have some strange fungus growing inside the webcam just under the glass screen.

Is it possible to open the screen housing that holds it to the bottom of laptop? Or some other way to access the webcam to get this out?
    See the pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]