*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. HermannnTheGerman

HermannnTheGerman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello there,

I treated myself to an Aero 15.So far, I don't have much to report on as I only used it for a couple of hours (mainly for installing updates).

I like it and that's mostly due to some details that are usually not mentioned in any specification, i.e., it is pre-configured in an "old fashioned" way. After booting to the Windows desktop for the first time, I noticed the "This PC", "Control Panel" and my user folder sitting on the desktop. Great, I prefer it this way. On other recently bought Windows-PC, they were disabled by default and I had to manually enable them. Additionally, I noticed that Windows 10 (and Mac OS X) on other Notebooks defaulted to an inverted scrolling behaviour, i.e., when swiping with two fingers on the touchpad content scrolls in the directing of fingers. But on the Aero 15 it's configured like it it used to be before the invention of smartphones (swiping moves scrollbar in direction of fingers). Great.

Speaking of the touchpad, it's the part that I don't like. Slow finger movement is not registered immediately and sometimes not at all. Tapping & holding with one finger and dragging with a second finger (e.g. to move a window) does not work. It works only if I click and hold in the lower left corner and then start moving with a second finger although clicking is registered everywhere on the touchpad. Strange and inconsistent in my opinion.

I've yet to find out how the "battery click" function works. The Gigabyte page states "You can now know exactly how much battery is left without even turning your laptop on, just by looking at the icon next to your trackpad." That's of course rubbish. You can stare at that icon for as long as you want but it will not reveal the battery status to you because it's just an icon. :rolleyes: I clicked on the touchpad but nothing happens. Identifying the remaining battery life when the notebook is hibernated or shut-down would be nice but this feature is an elusive mystery to me.

Thanks for reading!
    Dan

2. CedricFP

CedricFP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Have you made sure that emptyproject (an exe) is not running in the background? This is Gigabyte's solution to Windows 10 stuttering due to optimimus switching, and what it does is keep your dGPU enabled at all times (ie prevent the computer from switching to iGPU) which of course will have adverse effects on battery life.

Have you also tried undervolting your CPU and iGPU? While the gains from this are not mind-blowing, it does make a difference.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  3. scrod

scrod Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Free game codes come via email. If they aren't in a spam folder I'd contact them and ask if they can resend.

Runningcount likes this.
  4. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You have to press firmly near that icon. I think it has to be off too. Discussed here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/some-doubts-of-my-new-gigabyte-aero-15.804820/

HermannnTheGerman likes this.
  5. isu89

isu89 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    FYI, Wired did a (very) quick take.. I think they generally liked it, hard to say (main criticism is in the weight?? that is strange to focus on for this class, but I guess their readership might be comparing against non-gaming ultras too)...

https://www.wired.com/2017/06/review-gigabyte-aero-15

6. scrod

Reputations:
    Yeah, other than the MSI GS63VR, there's nothing all that much lighter with a quad-core Kaby Lake and GTX1060 or better GPU. It's definitely not an ultrabook in terms of portability, but relative to its class it's at least average and comparable to XPS15.

7. vinceboiii

vinceboiii Animals are friends, not food.

Reputations:
    And also the Razer Blade, it's lighter but we all know they run hot. Also for their 512gb variant its $200 more than the Aero 15.

scrod likes this.
  8. Kamzu

Kamzu Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think it thermal throttles significantly. For example in Overwatch I was getting 9 FPS, but as soon as I increased the fan speed it went well above 60 FPS.

9. Kamzu

Kamzu Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Not to mention they are loud as hell. I had one before getting the Aero 15, just could not tolerate the fan noise, also the keyboard felt super unsatisfying, real loose key activation.

vinceboiii likes this.
  10. scrod

Reputations:
    Whoops I mean to say for 15.6" notebooks. The XPS is lighter, but only if you opt for the 1080p display with the smaller battery. With the bigger battery, they are basically the same size, weight and thickness with only negligible differences.

If 14" is considered, MSI claims 1.8kg GS63VR vs. 1.9kg Blade 14 vs. 1.9kg Aero 14 vs. 2kg XPS 15 (97WHr battery) vs 2.1kg Aero 15. Plus or minus 0.1kg depending where the specs are from.

Similar spec models like the Alienware 13, GT62VR and Strix GL502VM and Aspire V15 Nitro are closer to 2.5kg.

vinceboiii likes this.