*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. Zill

Zill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi Gigabyte Tribe!

Has anyone tried the razer blade 15 90W TDP vBios on their 2070 MQ or 2080MQ? I successfully flashed it on my laptop and saw great performance benefits on GPU perf but on my particular chassis (TongFang 15") I lost mini dp functionality which I use a lot so I reversed back to the OG vBios

I was wondering if anyone had tried it yet or is willing to give it a go...? I'm hesitating between the Razer blade 15 with its higher performing 2070MQ vs the new Aero 15 2070MQ but if the Razer vbios works on the Aero then I'd happily buy the Aero as I think ultimately its a better overall laptop, its just gaming performance is kinda big deal for me even though we're talking 10-20% benefit at most...

Its safe as they have the same board ID and both are Max-Q skus so you're just getting a higher base and boost clocks with better OCing capability thanks to the raised power limit. I just need to make sure the mini DP still works!

Thank you so much for letting me know, it would help me out a great deal!!!

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  2. tiredmeliorist

tiredmeliorist Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Mind blown-- thanks for posting

Hilarious how they mention the keys must not only function but be durable, smh

3. HussainQ

HussainQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Question, how would you go about cleaning the keyboard/keys?

4. mouazus

mouazus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

[​IMG]

1ambert likes this.
  5. NeKryXe

NeKryXe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    my aero 15 has a permanent white led on the battery icon, always on even when the battery is full.

the only way to turn it off is removing the connection to the power cable.

it has always been like this, I never understood if it is a bug or some bad design.

anyway, I rarely used aero 15 on battery, because this laptop never lasted much more than 1 or 2 hours, just browsing in power saving mode, so I don't need that power led indicator always on. is there any way to turn it off? an application, an hack, or something?

6. thebski

thebski Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

New Aero 15 owner here. I'm hoping this thread can be of some use of me. I ordered the Aero 15 X9 with the i9-8950HK and RTX 2070. I'm a bit disappointed right off the bat as I really did not want Max Q graphics. All over the product page on Newegg and Gigabytes website, it makes no mention of Max Q like every other laptop that has Max Q, so I assumed this was a full laptop 2070. I would not have bought the machine knowing it had Max Q, but I digress. I would exchange it for the Y9 2080 model, but I really do not want a 4K display as gaming performance would be horrible and I can't do 60 hz. It is what it is now.

My apologies as a lot of my questions I'm sure are already answered in this thread, but I don't have time to look through 364 pages of replies and am not coming up with a lot through searches.

Is there a handy QVL list for this laptop? I can't seem to find it in the Gigabyte support section. I have purchased a Kingston HyperX 2666 CL15 16GB Dual Channel (X426S15IB2K2/16) kit to put in this as the first order of business is getting this thing running dual channel memory. I hope it works properly. If not I will have to exchange for something else.

Second order of business is getting a couple of 970 Pros I have laying here installed and getting it on Win 10 Pro. I have built many, many desktop PCs over the years, but I have never reformatted or fresh installed a laptop. Is there anything I should know before I try this? Can I just get all of the drivers from Gigabytes website, do a fresh install like normal, install the drivers and roll on? I assume this is the case, but want to make sure before I go through with it. I'm not sure if there is anything specific in the preinstalled OS for the laptop hardware that will cause me issues.

Third, I will take any help I can get in optimizing the performance. I bought the i9 not with the illusion of getting some 5.0 Ghz CPU out of it, but mostly to have the freedom to change settings and try to find the right balance of performance and power/heat management. By my understanding I am sharing a power envelope with the GPU, so putting it all towards the CPU may not be the best option. Are there any OC guides on this particular laptop? I have OC'ed on desktops many times, but I'm sure this is a different beast. Any other performance tricks? I've seen talks about other v bios. I will have to do more research on that. What about recommended repasting/thermal pads? Any success stories there?

Sorry for the endless open ended questions. I appreciate any help I can get!

7. tiredmeliorist

tiredmeliorist Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I keep mine plugged in all the time, but the light is only on when it's charging. Is your charging policy set? In SmartManager --> Charging Policy, set it to Custom and have it stop at a certain %. I keep mine at around 61%, but it seems to reset randomly so have to change the # every few days.

8. mouazus

mouazus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Aero 15x v8 here with 2 x Kingston HyperX Impact 8GB 2666MHz DDR4 CL15 + Samsung 970 PRO 512GB, all run like a charm

For reinstall what I do is to download latest official windows 10 x64 with "MediaCreationTool1809"
    Some drivers are auto downloaded by windows, the rest from "SmartUpdate" or official Gigabyte site

About optimization, for Aero 15x v8 it's recommended to downclock the cpu ..

One question, on v9 of Aero, Gigabyte advertise that they have used intel ssd + samsung ram, is that not enough ? Why changing them ?

9. thebski

thebski Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the tips. When you say downclock, you mean actually turning the clocks down or just turning voltage down? As for the SSD+ram, the drive in the machine is an Intel 760 which is a pretty entry level SSD. It would be fine if I didn't have a 1 TB and 512 TB 970 Pro laying here that were originally intended to go in a desktop build that fell through. They are laying here and are quite a bit better drives, so I might as well use them. As for the ram, a 16 GB machine only comes with one stick meaning it is only running single channel. In order to get dual channel I bought a 2x8 GB Kingston kit. I don't need 32 GB by any stretch, but I would like to run dual channel.

10. ogflyingmonkeys

ogflyingmonkeys Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone else have a very slow wake up time when opening the lid? For my i7, 1070 MQ Aero 15x it takes like up to 5 or more seconds of just a black screen and then a second of a solid blue screen before my login screen. Also i notice when closing the lid it takes about 5 seconds before the gigabyte logo goes off.