*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. gran_lexu

gran_lexu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    15W v8 here, new with less than 1 month, shift keys with new design, and still double click problems with one key (F4)

2. Mike Hadley

Mike Hadley Newbie

Reputations:
    Howdy! This thread has been super helpful as a relatively new Aero 15 (i7-8750H) owner. I've had it for a couple months, and solved some of my issues (e.g. battery life and the task manager freezing) through this thread & forum, but I'm struggling with persistent blue screens of death and am hopeful that someone here might have struggled with something similar (or might be able to point me in the direction of some diagnostics to run). About once a week, I get a "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE" BSoD. I also have occasional - but less worrying - issues with the computer regularly freezing up for a split second during usage until I reboot it.

Some more info:
    • I haven't been able to notice a pattern of usage that causes it - sometimes it's while the computer is fairly idle but other times it's in the middle of coding / streaming video / working.
    • My computer is usually on AC power and set to high performance power profile, so it definitely happens under those conditions.
    • If I inspect the Windows Event Viewer right after the crash, the error that occurs before the crash appears to be: "The embedded controller (EC) did not respond within the specified timeout period. This may indicate that there is an error in the EC hardware or firmware or that the BIOS is accessing the EC incorrectly." That error occurs quite regularly in the event viewer (>70 times yesterday) without a BSoD, so it might be a red herring. There is usually a corresponding "Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation" volmgr error in there too with the BSoD.
    • I've done a clean install of Windows 10 twice. This most recent time, I made sure to install smart update and only installed the official drivers. Still BSoDing (and the first one occurred after the first boot into the fresh install).
    • Windows Memory Diagnostic comes back fine, so I think that rules out RAM.
    • I ran LatencyMon, after seeing some threads elsewhere recommend that. It warns that my system may not be suitable for real-time tasks, with the highest latency for ACPI.sys.
    I submitted a ticket to Gigabyte support, but they just directed me to repairs. Is there any way I can completely be sure that there is a hardware problem before I have to go through repairs process (backing up the computer, wiping it, purchasing a crappy replacement so that I can still work while it's in the shop)?

3. gnlu26

gnlu26 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is it always the same cores? I find it unlikely to be a heatsink tolerance issue. What's more likely, the hot core is the one being turbo-boosted, until it thermal throttles. Pretty normal behavior, especially if you are doing a stress test.

4. gnlu26

gnlu26 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That BSOD haunts my dreams. I've seen it since pre-windows 10 days on my old Sager and I still get it today on my aero. Seems like it was always an optimus related issue, and I could always replicate the bsod. For my sager it meant unplugging from the wall while using the dedicated GPU. USB devices would just stop working and eventually the whole system would crash.
    On my aero this means plugging in an external monitor and leaving my computer to idle. Eventually it will just crash.
    May have solved the Sager with patience and driver updates, still crash on the gigabyte so I don't use an external monitor if I can avoid it.

Mike Hadley likes this.
  5. steakikan

steakikan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Same here, a reinstall kinda slow down the occurences tho (it used to be every 2 days, now it can run for about a week before it bsod). Still recalling Optimus issue that I also experience in the early days on Dell LX502 and Lenovo Ideapad (kinda forgot the models), and it took about 1 year to solve it.

Mike Hadley likes this.
  6. mouazus

mouazus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just testing the VENTION Type-C 8-1 on the Aero 15x v8, connected simultaniously (another 4usb hub is used, connected on the VENTION) :
    • HDMI 1080p 60hz
    • RJ45 Gbps
    • 2 x external HDD
    • USB Headphone
    • Mouse
    • Keyboard
    Got 120Mb/s when coping from one external hdd
    Got 75+85 Mb/s when coping from both external hdd simultaniously

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

heraldo_jones likes this.
  7. Mike Hadley

Mike Hadley Newbie

Reputations:
    Yikes. Those are both disheartening to hear. My last laptop was an asus rog, which also used optimus, but had zero issues with crashing or freezing. (Of course, it was also 3x the size and weight of the aero...)

8. dander

dander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm happy I returned my 15X, got a GS65 now and looking back the 15X was a software mess. And the keyboard/trackpad(not as smooth material wise) is much better and more functional... I do miss the full numpad (but not the small 0. key) though.

9. Jmanthesin

Jmanthesin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone getting 8hrs + battery life with the latest Nvidia and Smart Manager drivers/updates?

I am using the old Smart Manager and official Nvidia drivers to achieve these great battery life results. The newest version of Smart Manager would not idle my GPU.

- Aero 15X

10. lebellium

lebellium Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    How our Aero 15 is built! Not everyday you see behind the scenes of a product you buy, love it.

tiredmeliorist likes this.