*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. steakikan

steakikan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, XPS 15 is totally different beast. Actually there is a post that say you may increase the battery life by reducing the 144hz to 60hz on iGPU ( it can't be done on 4k model)
    Battery Lifer.png
    About 3 hour running, still got 50% battery life.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  2. dander

dander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I tried disabling the dgpu in device manager and I'm getting a flat 2W Package TDP in XTU, where as before I'd get spikes to 6/8/9W TDP.

I'll try that app since the windows estimate is 1 hour flat at 25% battery :/
    *EDIT*
    If there's a temperature instead of idle in the smartmanager dashboard does it mean it's being used? Still shows a temp despite being disabled

Is there a way to disable hyperthreading/cores on this laptop? I could remember I could disable HT on my XPS

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  3. thatfatgamer

thatfatgamer Newbie

Reputations:
  4. scrod

scrod Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Props to GenTechPC and Gigabyte. My son's Aero15 had an issue with a key that stopped registering. GenTechPC was kind enough to get the RMA setup and approved. Gigabyte was pleasant to work with as well. Emails were promptly returned and even with a part that was out-of-stock, it took about 3 weeks and appears to be working fine. Best I can tell, keyboard and keyboard buffer were replaced/repaired. Notebook was within warranty and repaired without charge (other than one-way shipping to California). Thank you @GenTechPC and Gigabyte.

GenTechPC likes this.
  5. HussainQ

HussainQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    upload_2019-1-23_0-46-44.png

My display on the Aero 15v7 is now showing up as above instead of how it's supposed to be (model number I believe), so my smart manager is no longer showing the different colour profiles. Has anyone experienced this before?
    I tried uninstalling the device/driver but it did not help.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  6. steakikan

Reputations:
    There is a chance that it still on, try to use HwInfo (just run the sensor) and check the dGPU section, it will show 0watt if it is not running
    AFAIK, you can't disable hyperthreading, the bios is too sparse (maybe if you pay for unlocked bios then it is possible, but with it's own risk).

edit: Apparently you can change hyperthreading, it is there in the bios, just press f2 and explore not much setting there.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  7. dander

dander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does the USB backup utility let you reinstall the OS to factory new after a secure erase? I'm returning this laptop in the next few days

Any idea how to do safe erase with the MTE510T drive? Didn't see a secure erase option in the bios of f9 recovery options :/

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  8. Laughing Bobcat

Laughing Bobcat Newbie

Reputations:
    I get between 6-8 hours of battery life in MS Office use.

9. E Groot

E Groot Newbie

Reputations:
    After reporting here before, I want to report about how it went further with my Aero and the problems. As suspected when I send the laptop back to repair (in Germany) the message was that the new memory I had bough was faulty. When the laptop came back it had a new hard disk inside, so my previous install was gone and I had to re install my settings (special settings to be able to use Merging Pyramix with native audio workstation) again. I installed my new extra 1TB Samsung EVO and continued to use the laptop. And I send the extra ram back to the supplier with an RMA. Finally today I received a new returned RAM (the same spec) and proceeded to install in the Aero. First undid the battery and used the on button to drain any remaining power. Then took out the original ram and installed the new one in the same slot (opposite from the battery close to cooler) and replugged the battery and started the computer. It started normally just as with the original supplied memory. Good news. Then again undid the battery after shutting down, and added the original supplied memory to the other slot. Again replugged battery and started again. It took a little longer, but started OK to windows. Result! I am very happy that it went so smooth in the end, and the dual memory now working perfectly as far as I can tell. I am very happy that Gigabyte had taken back the laptop and replaced the broken hard disk and confirmed that the type of memory I had bought should work, but that this component was most likely broken. They were right and with the replaced new RAM it is working like it should. I have no other problems with the laptop, although I cannot say that with how Pyramix runs on this, as that workstation is very unstable still. Seems like a combination of hardware (drivers with asio for IFI DAC) and windows 10 with Pyramix. It crashes at the most unlikely moments. Looking forward to trying now with the extra memory and hope for an improvement.

10. steakikan

Reputations:
    I reformat my drive externally and then reinstall using the USB backup. The original oem recovery in my case doesn't work at all so have no other choice.
    Just a reminder, check the website for smart backup tools repair, after update 1803 the oem recovery kinda f*** up.

Nice, I choose the expensive way by buying 2 kingston dual channel.