*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. null0

null0 Newbie

Reputations:
    You are not alone. I have been experiencing the exact same behabiour with my Aero 15X v8 and I am quite concerned because this is the fist time I read anyone talking about it.

I'm runing the copy of Windows 10 which came with the laptop, in addition to the latests Nvidia and Intel drivers. I still didn't have time to revert to the suggested ones to test if the same applies.

As you said, it happens just by switching between the laptop monitor and an external one, in this case through HDMI, being both 1080p pannels. See the example screenshots and note the difference in GPU usage and framerate drop:
    The same happens with all games and benchmarks I've tested. I'll have the machine running in dual channel in a cuple of weeks so I'll see if this is somehow related to that.

2. Vipeout

Vipeout Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for the screenshots. Wow, I guess I'm not the only one after all? I'm also running the pre-installed copy with latest drivers. However on my last notebook I had the same issue and that one had Dual Channel Ram and Win7 installed many times over, so i don't think its related to that.

It's crazy that nobody talks about this, but then again I don't know if this is an isolated problem. I posted the same question on reddit and only one guy replied, saying he only sees a ~10% FPS difference between internal vs external display (Link)

3. steakikan

steakikan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Looking at the screenshot, I think you may need to explore Intel IGPU setting. Your GPU is bottlenecked on Internal Screen (GPU load is not 100%)

4. factory_666

factory_666 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's a good point, but I already run it with the port set up as a PC port on my Samsung TV. Without it the sharpness and screen latency are not suitable too well for working or gaming. And to be honest I just follow the advice that I read on Rtings for my TV's model, as I trust them and too lazy to benchmark the connection when it's not setup as PC.

5. rspt1908

rspt1908 Newbie

Reputations:
    PSA: Gigabyte Aero 15 screen might be prone to white spots

This laptop may be susceptible to white spots especially at the part near the logo due to thin aluminum chassis cover used for housing screen. The chassis is prone to bending and is not as thick as those used in the Dell XPS and the Macbooks. It might me due to the groove on the lid that houses the lighting element for the logo scratching the backlight diffusing layer of the screen. Here are photos (The spot is near the center, not that visible in full brightness):

IMG_20190121_183134.jpg IMG_20190121_182348v2.jpg s-l1600 v2.jpg

This might be due to habits. I have owned the laptop for a year (bought it last December in Canada). The affected portion of the screen is where the laptop is in contact with my back when it's inside my backpack. That might be the cause. This is also just a sample size of one and this issue is not unique to this particular laptop as other laptops also have this issue after a long time of use such as Asus, Lenovo and MSI laptops (which in some cases also use thin aluminum sheets and plastic reinforcement for their lcd chassis).

Here are also some teardown photos I have found from the net that might be useful for other owners:
    aero15-13b.jpg s-l1600.jpg

It might be best to get a laptop messenger bag or just not store it in our backpacks.

6. rspt1908

rspt1908 Newbie

Reputations:
    Other Aero 15 or 15X Teardown photos:
    s-l1600.jpg HTB1_USZv25TBuNjSspcq6znGFXa5.jpg s-l1600 (16).jpg s-l1600 (15).jpg screenshot_41.png

thatfatgamer likes this.
  7. dander

dander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How long are people getting out of the battery(power icon on taskbar)?

Got throttlestop at -100.6mV for the cores, turbo disabled and clockspeed locked at 40% in the power plan (0.79GHz),Power saver plan and Battery Saver but I'm getting a ~4 hours estimate from 100% on a laptop with under 10 charge discharge cycles, used to get more before(varied like crazy).

8. steakikan

steakikan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's about right I think. I use batterybar, seems more accurate than Windows battery bar.

9. Christopher Gonzalez

Christopher Gonzalez Newbie

Reputations:
    My battery life has been hovering in the 5-6 hour range when constantly streaming youtube and browsing.

The estimates are usually more generous than what I get.

10. dander

dander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I remember seeing 7 hours plus when the laptop was new(after installing some programs), I'm usually just browsing the internet and listening to Spotify. It's pretty disappointing to the XPS 15 I had