*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. Momoware

Momoware Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Guys I keep getting this error since I don't remember when. It occurs every 3 minutes.

Event 13, ACPI
    The embedded controller (EC) did not respond within the specified timeout period. This may indicate that there is an error in the EC hardware or firmware or that the BIOS is accessing the EC incorrectly. You should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS. In some situations, this error may cause the computer to function incorrectly.

When it occurs, the screen freezes. I am still able to move the cursor around and sometimes hear ongoing audio. The freezes only last 3 seconds or so, and then everything goes back to normal.

Does anyone know why this occurs? I have the latest chipset driver in Smart Updates.

2. steakikan

steakikan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's a common problem with Aero15 laptops having this error. This is actually due to something messed up between wakeup of Nvidia Optimus, and seems your best bet to at least reduce it is by clean install your Nvidia driver and Intel iGpu with the Gigabyte official driver (it won't go away, but on mine it kinda reduce the occurence and that Driver_power_state_failure bsod)

3. xiangpan64

xiangpan64 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all, I have the AERO 15, i7-7 Series CPU with GTX1060, does anyone know how to power on the laptop without opening up the lid? I'm trying to use this laptop as my desktop replacement, I hate to open up the lid and close it each time I want to power on the device.

Thanks

HermannnTheGerman likes this.
  4. Evgeni

Evgeni Newbie

Reputations:
    Time goes by, the vertical key row of '9', 'o', 'l', ',' periodically do not work. It is getting more often. All drivers & FWs are up to date. I am fed up and going to do smth more serious than writing here.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    tiredmeliorist likes this.
  5. factory_666

factory_666 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've managed to turn on HDR. Not that I did anything. I went into Display settings for Windows while playing Forza Horizon 4 and HDR was suddenly available to turn on. I didn't do any science or studied it, below are my basic observations:

It does activate HDR on TV, the picture definitely changes and the TV recognizes it as a different signal (the TV saves picture settings for HDR-on and HDR-off as two different presets).

I've so far only checked it in Forza and the effect was mostly detrimental:
    1) it dims the brightness of colors in the game and messes up the blacks- to me kinda looks similar to how fake-HDR works in Red Dead Redemption 2 on PS4. However it does look a bit more photorealistic.
    2) turning on the HDR increases usage of some resource - the FPS would take a 20-30% Hit, while the GPU usage stays the same. Perhaps it's the HDMI cable limitation.

My TV is https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/nu8000 and I use the picture settings from Rtings website for this model accordingly.
    I have 15x 2017 version.
    My Windows 10 is 64bit Home 1803
    Nvidia 23.21.13.9101
    Intel HD - 23.20.16.4973

I can test further if there is any interest in this.

6. Howitzer225

Howitzer225 Death Company Dreadnought

Reputations:
    Hello. Just wanna ask existing Aero 15 users whether they have issues with their machines and if it is still sensible to buy one. I'm considering getting one for myself once the holidays arrive. Cheers.

7. steakikan

steakikan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would recommend to replace the keyboard only if it is possible. My keyboard issue are kinda fixed after they replace it with new keyboard hardware (also with the latest firmware, the hardware being replaced has quite an old firmware that is quite bad)

Mine doesn't really work like a charm (that BSOD powerstate failure still appears, tho getting less and less for now), but overall I don't regret getting this beast. It got it's quirk here and there but some can be partially solved (like battery issue with the Nvidia GPU, which afaik can be solved by put your laptop to sleep than wake it up again). I would say the other alternatives will be the new Alienware m15x, Asus Zephyrus, MseiGs65 and Gigabyte own Sabre 15. Don't expect full performance with most of these laptops as they will throttle if pushed hard enough.

8. el3c

el3c Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    BSOD: it may help to prevent it if the Intel or nvidia gpu is disabled with device manager?!

In my case I switched power settings : cover is closed, from hibernate to sleep. Since then I didnt got any bsod on wake up

9. Ollie222

Ollie222 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Other than something like wake on lan then I don't see how you can power it up other than pressing the power button which involves opening the lid.

10. Ollie222

Ollie222 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Are the new keyboards actually different to the old ones? If so do they look any different to before or is there anyway to tell the later keyboard from an earlier one?

I've only recently got my Aero 15X and generally it's behaving pretty well but when typing it does miss some key presses when you press the corners of the keys or don't press hard enough. So far I'm seeing if I adjust but wondered if a decent keyboard fixes all of the problems.