*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. aplzx

aplzx Newbie

Reputations:
    Dear peeps,

I managed to dual boot this machine after a couple of hours messing around with the position of my stick of V color and Ripjaw. On Bios 07 / 06, machine would only boot with Ripjaws on the dual slot, after upgrading to 08 / 07, laptop boots only with the G.Skill in the main channel, V color in dual slot. For those stuck in a boot-loop, it is worth trying moving the RAM around. It will eventually work.

Question remains, is not being able to run @2666 a clear drop in RAM performance ? I feel satisfied as of right now; although i could order a pair or kingston to make this run at the advertised speed if you people deem worth the extra charge associated with the hardware upgrade.

Best

2. Andrei Ungureanu

Andrei Ungureanu Newbie

Reputations:
    I just got my Kingston KVR26S19D8/16 and after 2 hours of trying to make it work ... I have given up.
    I detached the battery, I tried to insert the new RAM on both slots, I have also tried to run in dual channel with the existing one (Kingstone CBD26D4S9D8ME - 16), I have tired in every combination possible in every position possible, but the laptop did not boot up with the new stick, just with the one that comes with it.

I am very upset about this and I find it unacceptable for a product of this value. One month ago I sent it to RMA with display problems and now this... The fact that Gigabyte is actually recognized for the motherboards, and this product comes with such problems it makes me worry of the quality of their products...

3. TLCH723

TLCH723 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Do you have the link for the RAM you used?

To other, can you post the link of the RAM that you installed and said if any special thing you need to do for it to work? Want to start a list.

4. Andrei Ungureanu

Andrei Ungureanu Newbie

Reputations:
    This should be: https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KVR26S19D8_16.pdf

5. steakikan

steakikan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    At last my repair has been done, they replaced my old keyboard with the new one (the one where the shift key is symbols and not words). So far no problem with the new keyboard, hopefully no ghosting yet.

gnlu26 likes this.
  6. gnlu26

gnlu26 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Have there been any reports of key sensitivity or ghosting with the new iteration of the keyboard? Did they just swap the shift keys out or did they change the manufacturing process entirely?

7. ClstrKid

ClstrKid Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi peeps ! Just want to share my current experience quickly.

Just received my 15x v8 2 days ago, its defintely a great computer but and I would like to share 2 things I am facing right now:

First one, GPU / gaming underperformance ?
    I have been gaming a bit with it and I dont think it performes 100%.
    Fornite set on Ultra everywhere is ranging between 50 fps to 100 depending on the situation ingame. I was expecting a bit more tbh, and when I look at the task manager, I see that the gpu has a 60 to 70% work load and the igpu shows an activity of 40%.
    On the other side, smart manager shows Temp of cpu/gpu averaging 70°C so i feel like its not fully trying its best, and somehow something is being shared between the two gpus.
    I've seen a few posts here and there of people getting better results while using an external monitor (hence putting the work load only on the 1070).
    What do you think? is that a normal behavior ?

I am running on a clean installed windows 1803, pretty much all drivers manually installed (igpu AND dgpu last drivers versions, greater than the ones proposed by smart update)
    CPU undervolted by -0.130

Seconde one, a battery life of 4h30 max, not playing game, juste browsing on chrome. GPU temp is marked Idle on the smart manager, and WakeupGPU not running.
    "Day long" battery was one of this laptops assets, so I am a bit concerned there i have to say.

If anyone has some insight on that
    Cheers !

8. gnlu26

Reputations:
    First Point: On the highest settings with AA, notebookcheck shows an average FPS of ~100 in Fortnite. Sounds like you're getting the correct performance. The iGPU still has to work because it actually draws to the display. Your 1070 might do all the hard work, but it has to pass the processed frame to the iGPU to display it. This is the case for every non-gsync laptop screen. Plug in to an external display through HDMI or mini-DP and it will be directly connected to the 1070, completely bypassing the iGPU. If you want to try and smooth out those 50fps drops, I would undervolt the CPU/GPU to get some more performance, you may be thermal throttling.

Second Point: If you have something like Intel XTU installed you can see how much power the CPU is drawing, some people have reported issues with the CPU drawing more power than it should doing basic tasks. Some other things to consider: screen brightness and power saver settings.

9. ClstrKid

ClstrKid Newbie

Reputations:
    Well 100 is definitely a maximum , it runs at 60 to 70 most of the time. Compared to the 100/110 I see on others benchs... I don't know , feels like a bit behind to me ^^
    Thanks for the insights on gsync and xtu, I am currently cheking xtu

Edit:
    If you are referring to "Core voltage" in XTU, it averages around 0.700 V, wish i guess is ok.
    I do also have "Current Limit throttling" on "Yes" by the way.. (Only appears when on battery)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  10. gnlu26

Reputations:
    For the power I'm referring to the "Package TDP" which shows the current power draw by the CPU. Some people were having 12+W at idle on battery/power saver when it should be ~3W. For throttling we are interesting in "Thermal Throttling," but I've heard that value isn't always accurate in XTU. Better off just monitoring the temps while playing fortnite. If you are around 90C when playing then its probably throttling.