*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. marltonn

marltonn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you! I didn't have time to do more testing when I initially installed & it appeared to be fine. I've done some further checking tonight & you are right, it is only recognizing at 2400. I'm going to do what @g85222456 suggested by installed one ram & then the other & switching slots. I am on the updated BIOS so I'll see if it works. I hope they figure out a solution since I don't want to deal with the hassle of returning this RAM when hopefully they can fix it through a BIOS update. If they CAN'T fix it, then hopefully they will tell us...

UPDATE:
    When using JUST the G.SKILL F4-2666C18-16GRS my Aero 15x wouldn't boot properly (black screen) when in EITHER slot. I had to hold the power for a hard reset and it would turn itself back on...

When using BOTH G.Skill & V-Color in either slot, it would boot but at 2400 as stated before.

Obviously JUST the V-Color works fine and at the advertised speed. So yeah, we seem to have the same issues. I don't have 2x G.Skill sticks so I can't confirm that

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  2. TimDonovanGP

TimDonovanGP Newbie

Reputations:
    Looking for some pre-purchase help & advice on ergonomics.

I'm ready to purchase a Gigabyte Aero 15X v8 from HIDEvolution, but I have one last concern: The ergonomics of the palm rest area.

Back the ASUS Zen Books first came out (years and years ago), I bought one and then had to turn around and return it. The problem was that the edge of the case (the front edge of the unit where you rest your palm) was a sharp corner rather than the nice chamfered edge they have now. It resulted in a stinging pressure point that dug into my palm and made it awful to use the system for longer than 10 minutes.

The Aero ticks all the boxes for me (except for the Web cam placement) except that I've never seen one in person. I live in Southern Oregon ("StickVille"), and so there's no easy way to get my hands on one to have a look.

If you're an Aero 15X user, could you help me out with that assessment? Could someone post a close-up view of that area? I heard the edge is kind of sharp, and that indented relief area they included to make it easier to open the lid worries me too.

Appreciate any help you could offer.

Thanks!

3. ouhshuo

ouhshuo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

I have tested with my two G.skill stick. My aero 15 came originally with a Kingston OEM ram (CBDxxx something). The machine won't boot when two stick installed at the same time. However it will boot with 1 g.skill stick and the original kingston ram.

I'm done with it. I will issue an RMA to my local service centre. If I can get a refund, I'll go with DELL XPS15 because I'm only do casual gaming but main productivity tasks. Otherwise I'll leave to the service centre to figure out a way to install the ram for me.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  4. headkaze

headkaze Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone managed to installed Feature update to Windows 10, version 1809?

I have tried several times and it keeps failing at 30%, reboots then states it's "Undoing changes made to your computer..."

The error code is 0x800704b8.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  5. betaelmer

betaelmer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have no issue updating my Aero 15x V8 to Windows 10 version 1809 last night.

6. JamesHughes

JamesHughes Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys. I've had my Aero 15w v8 for a while now. I really like it, despite a few little issues I've had with it (mostly driver issues etc.)

I'm having this problem at the moment where I don't use the SmartManager power options (I use either the Windows default Balanced plan or my own, custom plans). This normally works fine, and SmartManager always says I'm using a "Custom" Plan, as I would expect. HOWEVER, anytime the computer is woken from sleep, it keeps reverting back to the "Smartmanager High performance" plan within the control panel power options section. In SmartManager itself, it still says I'm using a custom plan, however this is clearly not the case.

I tried getting around the issue for a while by setting up the three SmartManager power plans how I wanted them in the control panel, which worked for a while (I figured "well, SmartManager wants to take control of my power plans, that's fine, I'll let it do that"). However, one day (I can't remember if it was after a SmartManager update or not, but there have been a couple since anyway), it duplicated the Smartmanager High performance plan with the default settings and started using that again. Ever since then, trying to customise this plan seems to have the same outcome (it creates a default duplicate and my customised plan isn't used).

As I said before this is not unique to the current latest version of SmartManager, and I updated to Windows 1809 last night and I'm still having the same problem, so it's not that either.

Obviously, the problem isn't major, it only takes a couple of seconds to revert the plan to whatever I want after sleep. But it is frustrating, and I'd like to know if anyone else has experienced similar problems or found solutions etc.

I really wish I could uninstall SmartManager as it makes my personal experience with the computer more frustrating than it is helpful, however I can't see an alternative for things like fan control etc. so I guess it has to stick around.

Thanks in advance!

7. frostwarefx

frostwarefx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I updated my mine yesterday, no issues.(aero15 v7) Just make sure you have the latest intel drivers installed 1st and ample hard drive space available as well

8. MonkeyPorter

MonkeyPorter Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Tim,

I can provide pictures in a few days, but from personal experience I don't have a problem with the edge of the laptop. The actual edge is a slightly rounded plastic, but the hand rest area seems to be large enough so that it's not a problem (unless you have the laptop up on a high shelf where you have to reach above your head).
    The hand rest area is large enough so my palm and wrist are pretty much entirely on it whether typing or gaming. I haven't come away with lines on my wrist from the edge, and I have larger than average hands. I usually use the laptop where my forearms are resting on the desk surface in front of it.

FWIW I love this laptop, it has its problems (power profiles, memory compatibility or lack thereof, headphone jack issues, trackpad usage issues, webcam placement) but the mobility, power, and professional look outweigh these issues in my mind still. I've never had many ergonomic issues with this laptop, aside from the placement of a few keys (but that's more a personal issue than a design issue I think).

9. margroloc

margroloc Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Kingston HX426S15IB2K2/32 (KHX2666C15S4) is compatible.

These are 16GB 2666 CL15 sticks.

Supported Module Timing at 1333.3 MHz: 15-17-17-35 CR 2T
    There is both a JEDEC and XMP 2.0 profile at these timings, the laptop will obviously use the JEDEC profile.
    One stick alone works, both sticks together work. No problems so far.

My sticks used samsung B-die (K4A8G085WB-BCRC)
    Datasheet for the dimm https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/HX426S15IB2K2_16.pdf
    Datasheet for the dram https://www.samsung.com/semiconduct...11/8G_B_DDR4_Samsung_Spec_Rev2_1_Feb_17-0.pdf

Using BIOS version 05

Screenshot:
    https://i.postimg.cc/yNNPVZDs/screenshot_32.png
    https://i.postimg.cc/FFPJ4Bjd/screenshot_33.png

These seem to be the fastest sticks that 8th gen non-overclocking intel laptops will support. This kit cost 265$. Pretty expensive, wouldn't recommend it at 1$ more.

MonkeyPorter and marltonn like this.
  10. marltonn

marltonn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Thank you for this!! Finally some concrete info on what actually works. I'm waiting for my 2nd GSkill RAM to arrive & if it doesnt work, then will be purchasing these. Where did you purchase your kit from? Lowest I could find was from Provantage for $288

Is there a reason you haven't updated your BIOS since version 5?