*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. lemegetin

lemegetin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As i am expecting mine in the week and have already ordered the EVO 960, my strategy to migrate would be to use the Gigabyte utility to create a recovery usb, swap the m.2s and then perform a recovery, followed by uninstalling all bloatware.

Do you think this would retain the screen calibration etc?

Also does anyone have an opinion if the installation of gigabyte utilities leaves any unwanted load? I mean is a clean install preferable? in this case would the Gigabyte update tool be enough to install everything? the screen calibration is apparently not restored.. but am i missing anything else?

Thanks a lot everyone

2. Notif

Notif Newbie

Reputations:
    @lemegetin To save the color calibration, it's likely necessary to run the USB backup utility.

On the drive, it will be here: GIGABYTE > Display Profiles

I believe that by executing the file it will apply the profile, but I'm not sure. Below is a copy of my display profile, I do not know how color accurate it will be for your screen.
    -
    As far as hinges go, the screen will eventually fall if the angle of the screen is closer to horizontal than vertical. I'm not bothered by this, but perhaps there's a way for them to be tightened? Tighter hinges might make the screen considerably harder to open.
    -
    I have tried repasting the CPU and GPU, and I have not had much luck. I first tried repasting with some left over Arctic Silver 5 that I had in storage, and I did this several times, trying for better results, and from the tests it would appear that the thermals got worse. And, I might just be imagining it, but the fans would seem to kick in sooner. I did not account for changes in ambient temperature with these tests, and that would have affected the test results. I then tried applying Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut and did not notice any difference between that and the arctic silver 5, yet the days have been getting considerably hotter since the initial tests, so it could just be that, but I was expecting some real improvements regardless that I'm just not seeing. Right now the fans are going and audible with the CPU at about 38 c. The ambient temperature being 75 f / 24 c. I no longer know if that's normal or whether there was anything different that I could have done to get better results. My gut feeling is that I would have been better off just leaving it alone.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    agent_pires likes this.
  3. brucek2

brucek2 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You don't have to do an entire USB recovery backup just for the color profile. Color profiles are ultimately just a file stored in:

C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color

Windows also provides various GUI screens for accessing or installing them via display adapter properties tabs. For example you could install a profile with:

Desktop right click -> display settings -> advanced display settings -> color management -> Add...

agent_pires likes this.
  4. Meetloaf13

Meetloaf13 fear the MONKEY!!!

Reputations:
    I'm getting a little anxious, no movement on my order. =]

5. brucek2

brucek2 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Oh oh - went to turn on my Aero 15 this evening and looks like something died. Main power button lights up, as does the tiny power LED, for maybe 15 seconds but no signal to screen, nothing sent on the HDMI port, no audio. I can't think of any reason it would choose now to die, last usage was a few hours ago, unremarkable, and it hasn't been moved or altered since then.

6. Shivalry

Shivalry Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, new to forum. I want to share my feedback with Aero 15

I got my Aero 15 around 2 weeks ago in Seoul, but due to work in mainland i had no chance to use it. So i am at 4th day of it using. So good so far, but there are few things:

1) Laptop build quality is good, but its very easy to make finger print marks on it. It's a bit glossy and even washing your hands doesnt really help that much. It's mildly infuriating but bearable i guess. I have to polish it with micro fibre cloth once in a while.
    2) Today windows just suddenly started auto repairing itself and i am not even sure what happened. I did clean install of windows 10 few days ago, installed basic software and antivirus and used only Office/Chrome to work yesterday and today it just suddenly didnt boot at first. After second attempt it did boot and everything was fine, but i was really pissed, because laptop is new and fresh and somehow i already started experiencing some problems. Does anyone know if it is somehow related to hardware ? Maybe ssd faulty? I usually never turn off my laptop and just close it to force auto sleep. Could it be an issue?
    3) I have Aero 15 with 8gb of ram (that was the only version available) and for me laptop boot is a bit too slow on start up.
    I already ordered Samsung 960 EVO SSD 500GB M2.E for OS and Crucial DDR4 2400 16GB. Hopefully it will make things smoother.

Overall i really enjoy this laptop. I didnt try any games yet. Gonna test when i have some spare time. I am also planning to repaste it/undervolt and add some new thermal pads. Did anyone already tried doing it? Maybe someone can share guide. I really dont want to **** up with it so i am waiting until someone posts a video of how to disassemble, repaste and etc with Aero 15.

agent_pires and huntnyc like this.
  7. Shivalry

Shivalry Newbie

Reputations:
    I did clean install of my Windows 10. Formatting pretty much everything. Does it mean i lost default Colour Calibration? Oh god. :(
    I didn't even know.

8. agent_pires

agent_pires Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Have you tried booting it up with the power supply attached? Sounds like the battery might be dead.

brucek2 likes this.
  9. PT.Gigabyte

PT.Gigabyte Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Looks to me either your hard drive or motherboard died. Try using a different hard drive, if not working, i guess something is burned in the motherboard.....Was it raining and thunder-storming in your area?

brucek2 and agent_pires like this.
  10. brucek2

brucek2 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks guys. Same symptoms with or without external power. Built in battery meter (holding down on touchpad corner) still functions and reports full charge.

Even with no working hard drive I'd expect the BIOS screen or at least the Gigabyte logo, but screen never emits any light at all. No storms in area but messed up motherboard is possible I guess. I'm going to call support in the morning. Bummer is I have a big trip starting a day from now so looks like I'll be back to my old ancient warhorse of a DTR.