*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. g85222456

g85222456 Company Representative

Reputations:
    in 398.36 there's some potential BSOD problem solved so maybe try the newer one

2. frostwarefx

frostwarefx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is this true for the aero 15 v7 as well? I was just about to buy a SATA m.2 SSD to add on. What ram can you guys recommend that's tried and tested. I want to add another 16GB stick. My laptop current has a stick of kingston 16GB. I"ve read previously that guys were having compatibility issues . .

3. alawadhi3000

alawadhi3000 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You can use any SATA or NVMe SSD in the M.2 slots in the Aero 15 v7.

AS for the RAM, try to get a stick with the same brand and part number for maximum compatibility, if you can't just get one with the same speed, voltage and timings, also make sure that you buy it from somewhere with a good return policy (Like Amazon) so that you can return it easily if it doesn't work.

4. Sparky961

Sparky961 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone found a decent, reliable power adapter for the Aero 15W to use with a 12V DC power source?

5. HermannnTheGerman

HermannnTheGerman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I agree - partially. As I reported here, my system was stable with Gigabyte's nvidia drivers on Windows 1709 (the older 22.21.13.8266 and not the 23.21.13.8878). Windows 1803 broke the graphics driver and now when I resume from hibernation I get a blank screen on my second screen (with lid closed).

I disagree with you regarding updates. A €2000+ notebook should always stay up to date and the manufacturer should see that current drivers are available (or produce hardware that can run on the reference drivers).

Do your homework, Gigabyte!

6. tdodd

tdodd Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This laptop is on my shortlist as a replacement for my six year old Dell Precision M6700, originally supplied with Windows 7. It's been through 8, 8.1 and 10, with a clean rebuild about a week ago. The latest Nvidia drivers pop straight on that thing without a hitch.

WTF is wrong with Gigabyte that they can't manage an equivalent standard of compatibility with a brand new, modern machine? Until they get their act together I won't become a customer any time soon.

My other shortlist option is a Dell XPS 15 with all the trimmings, but that seems equally poorly engineered, as do the Alienware offerings. I want a colour accurate 4k display and oodles of power. Specs on these thing look great, but it seems engineering and build are a farce. How can it be economical to turn out rubbish and frustrate customers time and again. All I see everywhere I look is repaste, repaste, repaste. Why can't manufacturing spend another $5 at the time of assembly to build them right the first time?

7. HussainQ

HussainQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I assumed that MS would still push security patches to builds that haven't been updated. If that is not the case, then yes I must stay updated.

8. TLCH723

TLCH723 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    But a 10k+ server always stay behind

9. HermannnTheGerman

Reputations:
    I agree - partially :) . I remember that our IT department used Debian on their servers as it was said to be "rock stable". But it was always helplessly outdated. If software was installed, we got the releases that were two years old...
    However, I disagree that this holds true today. Nowadays you have Docker and Virtual Servers. It's easy to run the newest kernel to include security fixes or the latest features. Same holds true for applications that run as Docker images. No excuse for server admins any more to stay behind.

10. HermannnTheGerman

Reputations:
    Thanks. So I downloaded and installed nvidias's 398.36 reference driver.

My first impression: resume from hibernation works - partially. Driver does not remember that I have a second display attached. This I have to switch to the external display (Windows + P, choose "second screen only") but at least both displays are detected by the driver and working.

Will have to see how this display driver "behaves" on the long run...

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018