*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. HermannnTheGerman

HermannnTheGerman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Which nvidia driver do you suggest to install:
    • The Gigabyte provided NV driver (Link), which is 23.21.13.9101 (= 391.01) and I'm currently running, or
    • The NV reference notebook driver (Link), currently at 398.36.

Usually I'm only using the external screen (Dell U2515H connected via miniDP) with the Aero15's lid closed. I also prefer to start from hibernation mode instead of a full shutdown.

Since Windows updated to 1803, the nv display driver causes issues (blank screen, reboots, blue screens) and headaches. Read my earlier posting here for more details.

2. HussainQ

HussainQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Try sticking with Gigabyte's drivers. They might be old, but they're more reliable (sometimes).

3. jrmtz85

jrmtz85 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Coming from an old Envy 15 for which HP provided exactly 1 driver update, I'm a bit miffed that GB expects people to run drivers that are 6+ months old on their brand new machine.

4. HussainQ

Reputations:
    Yeah, OEMs are usually slow at providing driver updates. But there really isn't a need to stick with new drivers if you don't benefit from their features.
    Try the latest drivers in the VGA section here:
    https://www.gigabyte.com/Laptop/AERO-15X--i7-8750H#support-dl-driver-vga

Hopefully they work better for you. Don't forget to clean install the nvidia drivers (not that you haven't been doing that already lol).

5. HermannnTheGerman

HermannnTheGerman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My Aero 15 (core i7) is running the latest (+4 months old) Gigabyte drivers and the system is choking on them after every resume from hibernation. The system is definitely wonky. Therefore I'll have to either reinstall or try the reference drivers or throw the notebook out of the window from the top floor.

6. gnlu26

gnlu26 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would agree with you on basically everything except graphics drivers. If you are getting the latest games, especially AAA, then the latest drivers can give you noticeable speed improvements in game. My machine is on the way still, but I'm gonna be pretty salty if I have to stick to nvidia drivers that are will always be out of date.

7. HussainQ

Reputations:
    That's why I said if you don't benefit from their features haha.
    I use the latest drivers because I play a lot of new games, and also use Whisper Mode, which isn't available on gigabyte's drivers.

Interesting, from what I've heard, the system is most stable with stock drivers. I have been tempted to just run the stock recovery image and stop windows from updating at all since that's when my system was most stable with minimal bugs.

8. jrmtz85

jrmtz85 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Now, another question. I just got a new Samsung T5 external SSD. It comes with 2 cables, USB-C <->USB-A and USB-C <-> USB-C. I've done several tests with the same 40GB MKV file, and when I plug it in via the USB-A port on the left, I get ~350MB/s write speed, but when I plug in to the USB-C port on the right, I only get ~200MB/s write speed. I thought the USB-C was supposed to be TB3, and at least have equal if not better speeds than the USB-A port. Am I missing something?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  9. g85222456

g85222456 Company Representative

Reputations:
    On high speed transmission with Type-C, different cable may lead to totally different result. Maybe try TBT certified USB-C cable

10. g85222456

g85222456 Company Representative

Reputations:
    cuz we will need additional time for the validation......but we could guarantee the better compatibility