*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. g85222456

g85222456 Company Representative

Reputations:
    Exactly, do make clean install of the NV driver

2. HCx

HCx Newbie

Reputations:
    FWIW about 10 pages ago I asked about picking up an Aero 15 used and you guys we're very helpful.

So I went ahead and got it. It's been working extremely well so far. The screen certainly isn't perfect but it's more than adequate for my needs. I wish I had a way to force the keyboard backlit to be on all the time and set static colors with reactive effects but life will go on.

Would like some idea on where to get a second 16GB ram stick though.

3. jmdvella

jmdvella Newbie

Reputations:
    I have noticed since the 1803 Windows 10 update, My Rear USB3 port on the right side does not accept USB3 Hard Drives. USB2/3 USB Keys work fine, however not my 1-5TB hard drives. I have checked in the smart manager the latest drivers are running. I have checked there is no issues regarding drivers in the Device Manager - however one item in Universal Serial Bus controllers is labelled "USB Composite Device", where as the others seem to be labelled USB 3.0 device etc.

Anyone have a solution for this? Is there a way to feedback to Gigabyte directly regarding this issue?

4. FreshPrinc7

FreshPrinc7 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have recently discovered a keyboard issue with my brand-spanking-new Aero 15w-V8. The "k" key creaks when pressed, and feels like it's coming close to being stuck in the down position. Is there a fix for this?

Here's a link to the Reddit post with my video of the problem, turn your sound on.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gigabyte/comments/8w0xz7/aero_15wv8_k_key_issue/

Edit:
    Perhaps I could figure out a fix if I could take the key off....how would I go about doing this?
    If it is impossible to fix, would I want to try to RMA it with the reseller I bought it from, GentechPC, or from Gigabyte itself?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  5. Julii

Julii Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I didn't know about the Razer power limit, can someone confirm if it is a problem that also affects the 15x v8?
    As a newbie, the Razer seems better to me in cooling solution. Why do you think the Aero is better?

6. HussainQ

HussainQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The power limit throttle isn't an issue on the Aeroes AFAIK.
    In my experience, the Aero has had more efficient and effective cooling that the Blades. The vapor chamber, while an amazing idea, cantc fully be tested because of that power limit throttle.
    That said, the common user wouldn't notice that at all, only when putting the laptop under heavy load will that be a problem.

7. Cryptic Joker

Cryptic Joker Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I can confirm no power limit issue on 15xv8.

Vistar Shook and raz8020 like this.
  8. Julii

Julii Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So for the moment, the biggest issue is the instability due to the drivers, isn't it?
    Anyone knows if running linux on this machine is a pain (in terms of instabilities, driver availability and so)?

9. HussainQ

HussainQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I did run openSUSE for a while, it was decent, but driver support was pretty limited. I only used it for a limited time until I switched to a VM. The battery life is worse on linux vs windows 10 per my testing (I ran on the intel GPU with manual graphics switching, so no problem there).
    The touchpad was awful (mainly because I'm used to the precision drivers on windows), and would sometimes not be detected (had to reboot a couple times for it to work).

Overall I would not recommend it, just because of how unstable things can get, but if you absolutely need it, I would recommend keeping a dual boot so you can switch depending on what tasks you're doing.

10. DecredDave

DecredDave Newbie

Reputations:
    I've also had poor experience with this laptop running Ubuntu 16 or 18.04 - it usually freezes during the initial install. I could run it live, but I couldn't get it to complete the install.

Also, I just joined the forum to share my experience with the Aero 15's keyboard. The original one was faulty as everyone knows due to the problems with multi-key combinations. I created an RMA with Gigabyte and they replaced the keyboard no questions asked. When I received the laptop back, the multi-key combination issue was solved but then the keyboard was having a new issue with several different keys printing multiple characters despite having only pressed each key once. I recently RMA'd the laptop a 2nd time and requested a prepaid shipping label which took several calls to finally get. Gigabyte has been working on the laptop for several weeks now and they emailed me yesterday requesting credit card info to charge me $200 in labor and parts to look at and repair/replace the same keyboard they just replaced under a previous RMA. I boldly refused to pay it and I'm waiting for a response, so that's where my situation is at now. I'm not happy about this one bit!