*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. TLCH723

TLCH723 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @dimsdale Is your RMA working with the RAM on the list?

2. HermannnTheGerman

HermannnTheGerman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi,

in pre-1803, I had these micro-freezes as well. They were most easily observed when the mouse cursor suddenly froze while moving the mouse.These hangs went away after I connected an external monitor. I assume this is because then NVIDIA GPU is running all the time. This bug is mentioned here and here.

Usually I'm only using the external screen with the lid closed and I also prefer to start from hibernation mode instead of a full shutdown.

My Windows 10 1709 system was running fine (with NVIDIA 382.66). 1803 changed this.

After my Aero 15 was updated to 1803, it worked - for some time until another run of Windows update broke the whole thing: the Aero hung after restarting and after some more restarts, a message appeared which stated that Windows would revert to the previous version, i.e., 1709. Just after Windows had reverted to 1709, the 1803 update was automatically installed, again. This time the update had succeeded but graphics adapter related issues emerged.

After logging in and some programs started, the system hung, explorer and task manager windows were shown incomplete (with black patches) and then the display turned black while the graphics driver restarted. Event viewer read "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." I related those issues to the NVIDIA driver 382.66 which seems incompatible with 1803.

Therefore I updated to the most recent NVIDIA driver available from the support page (23.21.13.9101 = 391.01). By the way, "Not-So-Smart Update" provides 382.66 only.

The new NVIDIA driver 391.01 does not reliably detect my external display connected through mini display port (similar to my experience with 391.35). Sometimes the monitor is detected immediately and switched to automatically, other times it's not detected but re-plugging the mini display port cable helps. Sometimes I just have to wait for a minute and then the external display is detected. Very strange. It's disappointing that a notebook as expensive as the AERO 15 is that wonky.

By the way, what is this "WakeupGPU" program on the support page?

NB:

The 1803 update removed the precision touchpad drivers I had installed manually.

As with all earlier feature updates, one needs to run the "Smart Recovery Fix Tool" if one wants to use the "F9" Smart Recovery function.

Smart USB Backup does not work any more. It just formats my USB flash drive but does not write any data on it.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  3. Hoss411

Hoss411 Newbie

Reputations:

Thanks Phoenix,

Yeah, the ASUS is the one I really want, but I need it before I go on vacation at the end of June and it's out of stock everywhere, and Donald tells me they won't have them in time. So that leaves me with the Gigabyte. And this is a Gigabyte thread, so I better be happy about it. Lol.

4. Hoss411

Hoss411 Newbie

Reputations:
    One other question, since I'm getting my laptop customized, I have the option of switching the Intel wireless out for a Killer wireless card. I've always stuck with Intel, but I know Killer is popular on the gaming rigs. Is there really a compelling reason to switch?

5. jmedina3

jmedina3 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all,
    Does anyone know how to disable the Caps Lock/Num Lock notification appearing on screen? It is a bit annoying to see that notification while gaming (I've binded a key to it)… been searching through the registry without success.

6. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    The Intel 9260 and the Killer 1550 are the exact same card under a different name

7. Hoss411

Hoss411 Newbie

Reputations:
    @Phoenix, do you recommend getting a clean Win10 install from HID, or when you're doing a tweaking session, do you just uninstall all the bloatware? I haven't asked, but I'm not sure if you still get all the manufacture tools when doing the clean install. I know on laptops like the ASUS those tools come on a directory on the drive and can be hard to find online.

8. Bedwyr

Bedwyr Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello. New 15x v8 owner here. I've been having some trouble with a couple things. One, I've gotten a couple events where the Bluetooth services completely shut down randomly. Not the peripherals, but the antenna itself. The computer acts as if BT doesn't exist. In Device Manager I can only see evidence of BT devices if I "show hidden". After several restarts and (maybe unrelated) I disable the OSDv3 software in Task Manager startup, BT services come back.

Also when I re-enable OSD *or* manually run Smart Manager the audio playback window pops up automatically. I don't understand why this is happening. When I disable OSD, this doesn't happen. My version of Smart Manager is 7.3.1.

Are both of these behaviors known issues? I'm about to attempt a clean install starting from a Windows 10 1803 USB drive after doing some backup.

Also, I am connecting a Dell external monitor through HDMI. That seems really random, but the behaviors are so bizarre, I don't know where to start. Thanks so much.

9. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Well, Gigabyte has no bloatware from what I've seen other Gigabyte owners' laptops except I encountered one issue with a guy yesterday where the Smart Manager isn't launching and that is needed for the FN hotkeys to work. From what he said, he read that other Gigabyte owners are getting it to work by doing a clean install although I have a feeling that soon with an update from Gigabyte that utility should work. I like the factory image from Gigabyte to be honest, so if you don't mind waiting for a fix for the Smart Manager then keep the factory image but if you're impatient, then get the clean install.

10. Bedwyr

Bedwyr Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Minor update. After doing a clean install of Windows 1803 things appear to be behaving themselves better so far. Crossing fingers. After discovering from Smart Update that there is a 7.3.7 version of Smart Manager, I installed that and it appears that the popup problem for audio has been solved, hopefully. I'll report back any changes.