*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. do Malho

do Malho Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have one quick question for the owners. How easy it is to change the keyboard?

I'm having trouble finding an international keyboarded Aero 15 in Europe and I got to the point of just buying a qwertz one and changing it myself.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

2. TyroG

TyroG Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I want to do the same but didn't try because it might break some keys... anyway I did a RMA because there was "dust" dead pixels on the screen.... and was a bit overheating (92-93 on CPU, 80 GPU) , but I think I will buy it again but this time on Hidevolution so they can repaste and check for dead pixels.

3. Knacki

Knacki Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wow, heavy customisation plans going on here.
    I would never touch this.
    Thanks guys, for this informative thread.
    Just signed up to give an overview of my experience so far.
    1. Same keyboard issue -almost fixed with the firmware update inside of Gigabyte Fusion (click on gear top right corner)
    2. Wasn't able to update audio driver vie smart update. Stuck in deinstallation. I stopped that. Seems to be no issue, but never leaves a good feeling.
    3. Was reading the long discussion about SSD. I do not have time for a fresh installation, as I'll be on tour for next three weeks and all my needed programs are already installed, what took a while.
    So I went the "cheap" way and bought a 1TB Crucial for data AND another 16GB of Kingston RAM for same prize of an Samsung 960 evo. Ram will Boost my system more, I hope.
    4. I got one of the first AERO15 available in Germany. The config is a bit "cheaper" than in most tested systems. :(
    Win 10 home / SSD is a Transcend MTS800 - which is half speed of the LIte ON in most tested Systems./ installed RAM is one Kingston 16GB - which I hopefully identified correctly via Kingston website:
    http://www.kingston.com/de/memory/search?DeviceType=3&Mfr=GIG&Line=Aero series Aero15&Model=96493
    I'll get both pieces tomorrow.

I am coming from midrange Lenovo mobile workstations but was fed up with Quadro graphic cards as I am going more into real-time simulation on the one hand, video editing and 3D stuff on the other.
    Most of my programs are very hungry for graphical power. Quadros delivers this only for an amount of money I simply can't afford and is not delivered in 15" format.
    Second I was looking for lightweight and long battery life, as I often use the laptop just for remote via LAN of WIFI.
    Non of the 1070GTX laptops I have seen were offering a decent battery life.Read something about GTX1070 not supporting Optimus?
    I wanted a real LAN port as I hate adapters.
    Thunderbolt 3 as I think of using a docking station.
    It needs to have a good cooling as while I am travelling it can be -20° up to +45° Celsius.
    We'll see how that will work. :) Will take a spare laptop with me.
    Anyway the AERO15 offers a lot of my wishlist.
    If it would be a 2in1 concept with a kind of cintiq monitor with pressure sensitive pen support, it would be my dream computer.
    But I needed a new laptop now and couldn't wait anymore.

I'll will see if I will regret going the hybrid gamer workstation way.
    I honestly never heard before that Gigabyte is building laptops :D

brucek2 likes this.
  4. brucek2

brucek2 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I believe the issue is that Optimus (battery life) and G-Sync (variable refresh rate) don't work together, so notebook manufacturers have to choose one or the other. Manufacturers targeting high-powered desktop replacement, where the machine is often plugged in anyway, tend to choose G-Sync. Whereas the Aero 15 and others targeting mobile use may go for Optimus / battery life.

5. CedricFP

CedricFP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    As far as I'm concerned, every laptop that offers G-Sync should have a bios switch for Optimus / iGPU the way the Clevo P650 series does. Give me the *choice* even if it means requiring a bit more technical know-how.

ThePerfectStorm, huntnyc and brucek2 like this.
  6. isu89

isu89 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Completely agree with this!

For the record, genentech billed my CC today and says they will ship out this or early next week

vinceboiii and CedricFP like this.
  7. brucek2

brucek2 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Wow I didn't know that was even possible. I'd love to have that choice too. Do you think that's something Gigabyte could add later as a purely software (firmware) update, or is there underlying hardware design that might be required and isn't present on the Aero 15?

CedricFP likes this.
  8. CedricFP

CedricFP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I actually have no idea about how it's implemented to be completely honest, but I do know that one of the most attractive features of the P650 series is that I can go into the bios and flip the MUX switch and set my computer to use the dGPU or iGPU.

I believe as consumers and enthusiasts that we need more control over our systems, not less. Why this is not a standardized feature is beyond me. I'll happily pay for it if it should cost more.

9. TyroG

TyroG Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Do you think this laptop could come with a GTX 1070 MAX Q?

10. scrod

scrod Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    From what little information there is, "Max-Q" is a software adjustment that lowers GPU voltage and frequency to find the most efficient working point between full power and throttling. There may be other optimizations, but it seems pretty certain that a Max-Q 1070 will not perform as well as a stock 1070 running in a bigger notebook with a better cooling system. If that is true, it's very possible that a 1070 Max-Q GPU in a notebook with poor cooling will perform no better than a stock 1060 in a notebook with good cooling;-) So, yes, I would not be surprised if a Max-Q 1070 appears in an Aero 15, especially since MSI is putting one in their GS63VR that had a 1060. The question is if it will perform significantly better than a 1060 since the cooling system is unchanged.

TyroG likes this.