*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. dgoran

dgoran Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Take those reviews with the grain of salt. I love his enthusiasm and his videos but keep in mind that laptops that he is reviewing are loaner laptops cherry picked from Gigabyte that is different what average consumer like me and you will get..I would not be shocked if Gigabytes repasted all of the loaner laptops that go out to reviewers.

In this case Aero 15x and in the videos you are talking about you will notice that ram that he has in his aero is a Gskill brand name ram and we get no name ram stick slapped onto our retail unit along with generic powerbrick that is nothing like the advertised powerbrick with charging USB port. Also I am not trying to single out him specifically but you will notice a pattern in these YouTube reviews where they will generally praise the laptop and throw in a soft ball “flaw” just to appear that they are critical of the laptop but in reality they would not dare slamming the laptop and jeopardize future relationship with manuf. marketing department. None of these reviewers, no matter how good they are, rarely if ever mention chatter, backlight bleed or some other fatal flaw that cannot be easily fixed.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  2. 2042Third

2042Third Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was just going to mention that. BTW, you think repasting the laptop works?

3. margroloc

margroloc Notebook Geek

Reputations:

Interesting that side by side the GTX 1070maxQ is only 5% faster than the GTX 1060 on average.
    Surprisingly that video was the only comparison of 1070maxQ and GTX 1060 I could find on the web.

I think the 1060 and 1070mQ both have similar power limits (in fact it seems max-Q is just a hyped up way of saying 'vBIOS power limit') which would explain why there is barely a difference. In theory the wider and slower cores of the 1070mQ at the same power should give an edge over the 1060 but its bigger memory system probably cuts into the available power budget.

It may be too early to say for sure whether the 1060 & 1070mQ have the same power limit across all laptops - but if they do then there's going to be no difference in cooling, temperatures, or battery life.
    In theory software that stays under the power limit of both chips would allow both to hit max boost clocks, thus making the 1070 faster b/c of its higher core count - but that doesn't seem to happen outside synthetic benchmarks. Max-Q chips aren't even binned.

TL;DR
    Looks like paying 300$ more for the 15x/1070 maxQ model may not get you much of anything in return.
    If the real world performance difference is similar to the 5% from the acer comparison video it just doesn't make sense.

For that 300$ you could buy a 1TB nvme SSD (if you know where to look, otherwise 300-400$) and end up with an aero 15 non-x that has the same performance as the x-model and 1.5TB of total flash storage.

Can anyone with an aero 15x check the power limit of the 1070 maxQ? Just download hwinfo (it's free) and open the sensors window, then run a game/benchmark and see where the 'GPU power use' caps out? Image below is just from my 15w-v7/GTX 1060 at idle - but it has a max power limit of around 70W.
    [​IMG]

I think if you look in userbenchmarks for the aero 15v8 models, it seems g.skill ripjaws is the most common ram. If you think userbenchmarks is a representative sample then at least your chances of getting ripjaws are decent.

Digital1337 and Vistar Shook like this.
  4. fireedo

fireedo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    do you monitor the temperature? what is your room ambient temperature? repasting is one of good way to tame the heat but some say it will void the waranty

here is mine, but I did a little OC on the GPU :

Capture.JPG

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    margroloc likes this.
  5. 2042Third

2042Third Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What's this application? And have you repasted? Thank you!

6. fireedo

fireedo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm using Hwinfo64 and still no re-pasting, maybe later for now

7. sanyex

sanyex Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

temps with liquid metal if anyone is interested. in 3d mark firestrike i get 63°C gpu 73°C cpu max.

8. jrmtz85

jrmtz85 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Doesn't that graph say 85 as CPU temp?

9. xDjinn

xDjinn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone gotten a clean OS install from HIDevolution? Is it just a reinstall of windows 10?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Jack Dingo

Jack Dingo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, does anyone know where i can get the old Keyboard FW 3.0.7.

I still have this issue with not recognising key strokes since the new firmware update. With the old one it was working perfect when running that small chatter fix in the background.
    For me especially the i was chattering a lot and now since the update it occasionally misses the i. Less often but still annoying especially since i am working on a 5000 word document.