*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. HussainQ

HussainQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The 15w with the 7th gen processor is not affected by the chattering issues, but has issues of its own discussed in the past.
    The issues currently being discussed are for 15w 8th gen, and 15x 7th/8th gen

Marlon Estella likes this.
  2. margroloc

margroloc Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yes, the keyboard still chatters (repeat keys) regardless of whether I'm typing normally or pressing the same key in succession.
    The chattering is a physical problem with the keyswitches. If you didn't notice chattering before the firmware update, you wont notice it after. If you were having keyboard chattering before the firmware update, you're still going to have it after. I think I've tested the keyboard pretty well both pre & post-update. If anyone is saying that the keyboard FW update fixed their chattering, highly doubt it.

That's not true. The chattering is a physical problem with the keyswitches, and all aero 15s (15w/15x/15x v8/etc) all use the same keyboard so all are affected.
    I have 2 aero 15Ws (7700HQ + 1060) in front of me and both have the problem.

3. HussainQ

HussainQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Apologies, they switched keyboard vendors a few months after the launch of the 15w 2017 and I completely forgot about that. The earlier models don't experience the chatter issues, but have other issues like some specific combinations of keys not registering, or not being able to register more than 3 keys at a time (I experience this one, don't know if anyone else does).

margroloc and CedricFP like this.
  4. Jeehong

Jeehong Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So... even if I change the keyboard with new one, it will be same? Wt..
    I think it's very serious problem, but you say they haven't done anything since 2 years ago?

5. CedricFP

CedricFP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I also have a very early Aero 15 and have the key combination problem (not registering certain 3-key commands) but no chattering.

The keyboard on the 7700HQ Aero 15 was replaced a few months after release, so all newer 7700HQ Aero 15s could also have the chattering issue.

6. margroloc

margroloc Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Seems like a glaring quality control issue doesn't it? To be fair most of the keyboards probably function fine (I hope) so if you get it replaced it maybe it will be fixed.

I can clarify what I mean about them not doing anything: underneath the keyswitches there's a contact that lets the computer know whether the key is either pressed or not. There is no in-between. That's why when the repeated keys happen you can't fix it in software, because the software only knows when the key is depressed and nothing else. If I were typing normally I might press down L [+0ms] then L [+140ms] then L [+166ms], but If the keyboard were chattering it might look like L [+0ms] then L [+41ms], or even L [+0ms] then L [+180ms] (I've seen up to 180ms on both aero 15ws).

Tell me, if you were windows / the keyboard firmware / chattering fix app, which of these looks like chattering?
    1. L [+0ms] then L [+120ms]
    2. L [+0ms] then L [+41ms]
    3. L [+0ms] then L [+180ms]

You would probably reject #2, right? Based on the fact that nobody can type a repeat key in just 41ms? Well, you would be right - but what if I told you that #3 was also chattering? If you also reject #3 then you would end up rejecting #1 and also pissing people off who didn't have the chattering problem to begin with. That's why there is never going to be a firmware fix. Outside of some fancy software with heuristics that detects what you are typing and lets you flag the worst-chattering keys (which btw does not exist) there is no fix.

And yes, I really do think gigabyte's FW updates are not doing anything, and you shouldn't expect much from them. For me with both aero 15ws updated to the latest keyboard firmware repeat keys still happen all the way down to 39ms (when I bothered to check), and this happens both while 'stress testing' the keys (o o o o o o oo o etc) and normal typing. That has been the case for both machines, the worst of the two having gone through 3 keyboard FW updates including the latest.

There really does not seem to be any sort of intelligence in the keyboard FWs and I think anyone saying otherwise has not really done enough testing. It's all probably related to the RGB.
    If I get bored enough I'll try to take the keycaps off the worse laptop and jiggle the switch around to see if it helps, LOL

7. frostwarefx

frostwarefx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have no keyboard chattering issues, maybe you guys must type properly :D Aero 15 v7

8. Jeehong

Jeehong Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I am seriously considering returning this due to that keyboard problem. How do you think about this? Should I return this and get MSI GS65 or Dell XPS 9570 instead?

9. kowabunga98

kowabunga98 Newbie

Reputations:
    If you're considering this laptop, please don't.

I received mine today from Amazon. Messed with it all day long to try and get temps down, I undervolted -.160 and temps barely changed. CPU sits at a dangerous 90-95 degrees. Absolutely unacceptable.

Light bleed is apparent in 3 corners, distorts colors. Very very annoying.

Right shift key does not light up.

Performance in games is nowhere near the claimed results by reviewers, Dave Lee reported an average of 137 in overwatch on max settings, I hardly ever broke 100 fps.

Do not buy this laptop. Even if the laptop wasn't literally melting itself apart one gaming session at a time, there are simply too many issues to make this laptop worth it. I contacted gigabyte to see what they'll do for me but I can't rma a laptop right now. Not for maybe a month. And by then the new xps will be out...

10. sanyex

sanyex Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Because your Laptop has thermal throttling. Playing in bed or something like this? This can cause high temps. Maybe a repaste of the thermal Paste will help. I had high temps and fixed it with LM/Kryonaut