*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. popstand

popstand Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for posting. That seems to have fixed it for me. I'm typing this on the keyboard without edits and not seeing any more double registers. I'll update if I notice the behavior again, but it really seems like Gigabyte is making a more concerted effort to support this model. I was also having some color/contrast and screen brightness issues initially that resolved with one of the recent updates. Compared to the Lenovo I recently returned, they are being far more proactive with launch issues.

2. margroloc

margroloc Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    For me the firmware update to 3.0.8 did not fix the problem. I thought it did at first after typing a few paragraphs, but you can see in the image below that keypresses are still getting repeated.

[​IMG]

It may be possible that the fw is rejecting some repeat keys, but I'm still seeing repeat keys getting through that are just 39ms apart (on the aero with 3.0.8).

I think this repeated keypress issue is a physical problem with the keyswitches, because
    1.) Gigabyte recommends sending in the laptop to get the keyboard replaced if you have this issue
    2.) I have 2 aero 15's in front of me and both have this issue, but with different keys
    3.) Triggering the chattering seems to depend at least a little bit on how the key is pressed

If the problem really is with hardware then it's going to be impossible for a keyboard fw update to totally fix. The software wont ever be able to tell whether a fast repeated keypress was intentional or not. At best it can try to reject keypresses that happen too quickly but obviously gigabyte's firmware is not even doing that appropriately.

Even if they manage to push a simple fix with a higher threshold time to the firmware, it's going to run into problems. I have seen in both the aero 15s I've tested that some of the repeated keys happen up to 180ms apart. If gigabyte eventually pushes an update that rejects repeat keys quicker than that value, then they wont catch all of the phantom presses. If they do set the tolerance too high, then it's going to mess with typing.

If anyone is hoping that a keyboard fw update will solve the chattering, I would think again. A software patch for a hardware problem like this is basically just doing the same thing as the windows registry tweak/keyboard chattering fix app.

3. Marlon Estella

Marlon Estella Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Can you put a link please?
    I can't seem to find it.

4. popstand

popstand Newbie

Reputations:
    I am not able to replicate your results while clicking random keys as well as normal typing. Are you seeing the problem while typing normally or just when pushing single keys as in your picture above?

5. popstand

popstand Newbie

Reputations:
    You can find it in the Gigabyte SmartUpdate app if you still have it installed.

Marlon Estella likes this.
  6. jrmtz85

jrmtz85 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  7. Jack Dingo

Jack Dingo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    oiooioioioioioioioioioioioioioooioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioiioioioioiioioioiioioioioiooioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioiooioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioiooioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioi
    Hm, ok I think its much better now since the new keyboard firmware update. I don't really feel like sending it in. It still does it occasionally.

So have been running this little chatter fix program in the background, which caught the last mistakes.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Keyboard-Chattering-Fix.shtml

I placed it into the startup and selected minimise on startup and set it on 90ms. So I don't even noticed its ruining, apart of having no more chatter issues.

PS. my right shift key is also not lighting up

8. Jemchong

Jemchong Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

I recently bought an Aero 15x v8 and its my first gaming laptop. My question is: do you guys perform windows update on the laptop, or just the drivers in the smart update. I did both on mine and it seemed to have screwed up some of my drivers. Eg. The audio jack could not detect any headphones and nvidia could not detect my gpu.

I sent it back to the store and they couldn't seem to fix it and so they exchanged it.

Im thinking if I should try updating windows again on this new set or not and was wondering what the communities experience are like.

Thanks!

9. Jeehong

Jeehong Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I got my Aero 15x v8 now, but there are some serious problem.

1. Double-input issue with keyboard has been solved with keyboard firmware 3.0.8. But now I have ignored input issue. If I types the edge of key or too fast, it's just ignored.
    2. Intel and Nvidia graphics driver aren't upgradable(no appropriate device has been found). Only ones from Smart Updater can be installed, but they're seriously obsolete.
    3. If I install Intel Graphics driver from Smart Updater, there are often freezing and when I play youtube and other hardware-accelerated video, there are only green screens(I think it's related to this).

Any solves or tips are welcome.

10. Marlon Estella

Marlon Estella Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Having an issue with where FN+F3 (or F4) does not adjust brightness.
    As a matter of fact, the only FN+F# shortcut that works is volume.
    Any advice?