*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. HermannnTheGerman

HermannnTheGerman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks.

First, I tried the most recent driver available at NVidia: 391.35
    But still the my external display (which is connected through display port) is not recognized when the computer wakes up from hibernation. So sad. :-(

Then I deinstalled this driver. Did I mention that deinstallation was interrupted with a blue screen (reason: nvlddmkm.sys)? I managed to deinstall the driver and rebooted properly, after a few minutes running Windows, somehow the previous version 388.78 was installed automatically. WTF?

This notebook is wonky.

2. Donald@zTecpc

Donald@zTecpc Company Representative

Reputations:
    Well, not exactly. You need to use DDU to uninstall the NVIDIA driver to do a complete job of it. Then install the latest NVIDIA driver.

3. HermannnTheGerman

Reputations:
    Thanks for pointing to this tool.

Still, I first wanted to play this "deinstallation game" to see where it would lead to. So I deinstalled this 388.78 and after a reboot and a couple of minutes into running Windows 10, another nvidia driver was installed automatically (which I could tell from the tray icon "NVIDIA GPU Activity" that appeared out of nowhere).

According to device manager, I'm now at 382.66. The "hibernation issue" has not appeared since. However, the nvidia settings tray icon is gone. :-(

4. AresHarvest

AresHarvest Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Open nvidia control panel, and under the "Desktop" menu enable "Show Notification Tray Icon"

If you cant get to the nvidia control panel by right-clicking the desktop, you can open it directly from C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Control Panel Client\nvcplui.exe

5. HermannnTheGerman

Reputations:
    Ares, thanks for the excellent instructions. I don't really need the nvidia settings tray icon, all I wanted was to have access to the control panel. I completely forgot about the Nvidia control panel context menu. That's sufficient for me. Anyway, my nvidia control panel offers in "Desktop" menu the following items only: "add to desktop context menu", "add run with graphics processor to context menu" and "Display GPU activity icon in Notification Area". All items are checked.

I don't know where Windows pulled that old nvidia driver from (maybe it keeps old drivers around), but for the time being, I'm now sticking with that nvidia driver 382.66. That works for me. ;) Thumbs up, Windows 10. Well done.

Thumbs down, however, for Gigabyte (and nvidia) as they apparently are unable to provide working updates.:eek:

Donald@zTecpc likes this.
  6. Filbee

Filbee Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    New Aero 15w, has been running OK for a couple of days, all of a sudden today it's hitting 52c at idle (really idling, 0% -1% CPU) and GPU (1060) won't turn off,and fans behaving oddly. Using Smart manager on Gaming mode, fans are only just above 2000rpm. I can only get them to spin up to 2750 if I use the Deep fan setting.

Any ideas where to start? Not happy with these temps, not keen on a repaste as there goes my warranty.

7. HussainQ

HussainQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Could you go to nvidia control panel and enable the GPU activity in the taskbar? It should tell you what is using your GPU. I think you might have an old version of Smart Manager that keeps the GPU on but idle.
    Make sure your Gigabyte stuff is up to date (through smart update maybe).

8. Filbee

Filbee Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the suggestion. I've just had Smart Manager change language to Chinese, too, so I've uninstalled 7.29 (which I'd downloaded from the website) and reinstalled the version from Smart Update (7.05). It's definitely an issue with programs hogging the Nvidia GPU, as soon as that goes away in the task bar the temp drops, so I'll try a clean reinstall of the GPU drivers too. I'd forgotten how much I hate Optimus!

9. xDjinn

xDjinn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Quick question,

If all the aero series laptops are x-rite pantone display certified. Does that mean that it is guaranteed with zero back-light bleed from before they ship to a reseller? Is the back-light bleed caused by the shipping process itself?

10. CedricFP

CedricFP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Pantone xrite is just a color ICC profile aka software. It just makes colors on the screen more accurate.

Backlight bleed is hardware, and unrelated to that, and a little bit of a lottery.

Vistar Shook and xDjinn like this.