*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. factory_666

factory_666 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm debating on a new TV or a Monitor to hook my 15x up with and I'm a little confused about cables and functions:

1) Do I need to connect through any specific cables to take advantage of HDR when gaming?

2) Same question with cables but in regards to 60hz+. Maybe a 100 or a 144hz monitor.

3) Also what's the verdict on running games at 1440p on a 4K screen? Does it produce any side effects or does it mess with the refresh rate? 1070 MaxQ can't run modern AAA games at 4k and 60fps+ (hardly anything can), so I'd rather stick to lower resolutions.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  2. AresHarvest

AresHarvest Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    1. HDMI 2.0 or higher, these are the ones you want for 4k and/or HDR. 2.1 is the latest revision, go with that if you can.
    2. HDMI 2.1 if you need 4k or higher at 120 Hz. Higher frame rates at 4k resolution and above would require displayport as far as I know.
    3. It varies from TV to TV, since the quality is determined by the upscaling. For example, my 4k TV does a great job of upscaling SD material, but it sucks for upscaling 720p.

3. Jack Dingo

Jack Dingo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I was planing on getting the Aero15X but it is not available anymore. Now I have the choice of waiting for the refreshed version, which still has no ETA or getting the Aero 15.
    Do you think it is worth it to wait for the refreshed X version? possibly with coffee lake.
    I want to use it for Uni, mainly CAD programs such as Solidworks, Fusion 360, Rhinoceros and Gravity Sketch VR. And Adobe programs such as Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign. Also a bit of gaming.
    Would be appreciate any input.
    Thanks

4. Niklear

Niklear Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys, I bought my Aero 15 almost a year ago and haven't had any major issues asides from the common keyboard combination buttons not working, though as of three days ago my keyboard stopped working in Windows entirely. The touchpad is fully functional and the keyboard lets me get into BIOS (so it works physically), but the moment the Windows screen loads up it stops. It stopped working during a Nvidia GeForce Experience driver update the other day if that has any bearing. I have never opened the laptop up physically, nor dropped it or anything to cause physical damage to the components. I'm currently using an external USB keyboard. I've done a google search and keyword searched this thread, but as you can imagine "Keyboard not working" and "Aero 15" just brings up the combination key posts and nothing focusing on the entire keyboard breaking down completely. Has anybody else had something similar happen to them, and if so what can I do to fix this issue? Any advice and suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

5. factory_666

factory_666 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What's the safest way of updating nVidia drivers? As I remember with my previous gaming PC from 6 years ago none of the automated options through the website or GeForce Experience worked properly. Is it still the case? Is there a way to roll them back if something goes awry? I don't have a Recovery Drive as my Windows errors out when trying to create one.

6. HussainQ

HussainQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I use GeForce Experience for auto downloads, then do a clean install when updating just to be safe. It works fine for me. I do notice that GeForce experience itself bugs out some games so I just exit all of its processes when playing a game.

7. Osadst

Osadst Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys I just wanna show you my today's message to gigabyte, maybe any off you had similar issue.
    "Hello, I own Aero 15 since September and I take care of it better than of my own girlfriend. I was using it as usual, doing some not too heavy rendering and found out that battery is being drained even though it was plugged in.
    (Laptop is plugged in for the most of the time and I drain battery down to 30-40% every few weeks). Trying to fix this problem I did the following:
    1.Uninstalled battery driver, restarted laptop - no success
    2.Took out the battery for a minute and hard reset with power button, put it back in -no success
    3. When I run laptop without battery it either:
    - turns on for few second so the fans kick off and turn back off
    - turns on and goes to bios straight away
    - it turns on all the way to windows login window and goes off after a second
    - turns and and after seeing gigabyte logo and little loading circle it goes off
    - turns on - gigabyte logo + please wait message is displayed for few second - turns back off
    4. I left a laptop plugged in for a night and battery seems to be dead. It does nothing when turned on without AC cord also battery indicator flashes at 1st Bluetooth LED
    In Bios it shows that nvme drive is missing (and I have only one) - never touched it though"
    Additional info - I don't have the latest bios update(got the one before)

8. HermannnTheGerman

HermannnTheGerman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My Aero 15 crashes every so often as can be see from Windows Event Log:
    Crash Events Capture.PNG Crash Events Capture.PNG

That's a real show stopper.

9. HermannnTheGerman

HermannnTheGerman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Same here. Smart Update downloads the bios.zip file into C:\Program Files\Smart Update\temp but is not smart enough to unzip the password protected archive and so the Bios update does not run. :eek:

10. austinpike

austinpike Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    We recently got the Aero 15X w/1070 Max-Q, it has been reformatted with a clean Windows 1709 build. We also have a Razer Blade 14" (1060) and Aorus x5v7 (1070.) Using them for real-time architectural animation; trying to find the best balance of performance/portability. I'm running Unigine Valley (1920x1080, OpenGL, High) to benchmark and the Gigabyte lags behind the Razer.

Scores are ~4600/3600/3200 for Aorus/Razer/Gigabyte.

I've installed the latest nVidia drivers (391.01); have fans set to gaming and power mode set to high performance in smart manager. Valley never shows a temp above 70c - The fans don't get obnoxious like the Razer, which I guess is good, but I almost feel like it is limiting/throttling somehow.

On the other had, running Valley on Directx11 (1080p, Ultra, no AA) yielded 86fps/3600 score which is quite a bit higher than the Aero15/1060 in this post.

I'll try some other benchmarks to get more details. Mostly concerned with OpenGL since that's what our 3D software is using. But the performance seems pretty lacking; is there anything obvious I might be missing?