*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. Rohanranjan

Rohanranjan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Turns out that it was due to the logitech gaming software. For some reason it clashes with smart update. Works well after I close it.

gadeshi likes this.
  2. Meetloaf13

Meetloaf13 fear the MONKEY!!!

Reputations:
    Some of the earlier rampant issues were solved by firmware updates, but I believe ultimately it is a hardware problem.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

3. Crash525

Crash525 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Just got an aero 15 about a week ago. I noticed a few things and was wondering if others experienced the same. The hinge seems weak. It stands up but when i pick it up if im not careful it falls back or fowards. Anyone one else have this? The right shift key is not as bright when lit. Also is there a way to adjust the degree angle where the screen closes to put it in sleep mode? The space key is loud on release. Anyone else notice this? Also warranty claims anyone experience deal with sending it in? I heard gigabyte sucks at this.

4. santimaster2000

santimaster2000 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So, I just got an Aero 15 and I'm trying to install Windows 7, problem is, after the installation finishes, the keyboard doesn't work, haven't installed any drivers yet, it's this regular behavior and I just have to install some drivers ? The BIOS is on the Default Windows 7 Settings, so, that should be fine.

Any experiencie from someone that has already installed Windows 7 would be really appreciated.

5. CedricFP

CedricFP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @Crash525 I would agree that the hinge is by far the weakest part of the chassis design. I am not at all confident in the hinge and so tend to baby it.

IMO, the rest of the chassis is pretty solid. There is some minor flex around the power button.

6. Crash525

Crash525 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I agree with you on all of that.

7. factory_666

factory_666 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just got an Aero 15X. I ordered it from an Amazon reseller mid-December but only unpacked it this week.

1) I haven't had a chance to check all the shortcuts, as I can't remember which website to use. But the Shift+Ctrl+Down and Up work well, which are the only important ones to me.

2) The keyboard back lighting has no issues. Right Shift IS dimmer than other buttons, but you can a) mask it with creative usage of Fusion software b) need to have OCD to be bothered by it.

3) Keyboard does double-type. (EDIT: A Fix here: *** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***) A random assumption is that 1 in 1000 key presses would double-tap. If I type really fast, then I sometimes manage to squeeze another letter between the double types, which means that there is a delay between you pressing the key and second stroke registering. Maybe it's possible to install some macro that would prevent that. I type a lot and use Excel, but this is a minor nuisance, for coders this could be a serious offense.

4) Battery is solid so far. I haven't measured it closely, but I'd say I've squeezed around 6-8 hours with Excel use, web browsing, constantly voice chatting on Skype and Telegram while downloading and installing games on Steam. And that's without really trying to save on battery - haven't Underrvolted, use keyboard back light, 50% brightness. While just browsing it shows 10+ hours estimates.

5) Smart Manager hasn't bugged out on me yet ver 7.0.5. Also I don't see why people dislike the UI - it looks like a DVD Player UI from 2000.... Nostalgia.

6) Performance-wise I've installed Forza Horizon and it runs almost constant 60 FPS on Ultra.

7) Only briefly checked for Backlight bleed, but I think I'm fine - don't really know what issues to look for. Plus I will play and watch movies off a big screen anyway.

8) Speaking of - haven''t tested with HDMI connection to a TV. As far as I understand I need to restart the laptop every time I connect a new TV to it. But needs testing.

9) I'm coming off a 5+ years old Clevo, so the built-in Elan drivers seemed amazing to me. I still installed the Lenovo ones mentioned here anyway and I enjoy them a lot - feels like using a Mac. Only issue that in Excel 2007 you can''t scroll horizontally with two-finger touch. (haven't tested the other Excels).

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    gadeshi likes this.
  8. santimaster2000

santimaster2000 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm just going to answer myself here, you need the USB 3.0 driver for the keyboard to work.

gadeshi and CedricFP like this.
  9. Crash525

Crash525 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I thought i was just double tapping keys. It happens to me more often, id say around 1 amd 150 key presses.

10. gadeshi

gadeshi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So, I've tested my 15W-BK4 for HDMI/DP/TB3 external displays usage.
    Results are the following:
    1. It runs like charm on both ports but it REQUIRES HDMI 1.4+ and DP 1.2+ high quality cables to run.
    2. No need for restart each time when connecting a TV is found - it attaches my LG 42LB580V smart TV and monitors at the office perfectly at the same moment when the cable is attached.
    3. External displays work OK on Windows 10 Pro and Kubuntu Linux 17.04LTS both (propriatory NVidia drivers and Bumblebee for Optimus required).
    4. Several displays work through TB3 port with DisplayLink equipped device only (like Dell WD-15 USB3.1 dock). I've even decided to keep the dock :)
    5. Dell WD-15 requires DisplayLink drivers (there are drivers for Ubuntu Linux as well).
    6. Cannot reach USB 3.1 PD laptop charging by WD-15 dock as for now. WD-15 restricts non-Dell systems PD power to 60W only, so maybe it's the issue, but can be just PD absent on Aero 15 TB3 port which is sucks either if true. Has asked Gigabyte support a question on it.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018