*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. MetaRvB

MetaRvB Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    True, however, in my case the laptop came with 1 ssd and 1x16 RAM stick, meaning there is room for an additional ssd and RAM stick.

If they were this conservative, they should have soldered all components onto the motherboard with no upgrade options.

@Cap86, I do not think you will get in trouble by lifting the cover. However, as I said before, doing anything with the panel itself is probably not as trivial as working with SSD and RAM and might require additional knowledge and extra care. This is something you could get in trouble with if you're not sure what you're doing.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  2. MetaRvB

Reputations:
    If you do a clean installation of Windows 10, it will automatically use the license key programmed in BIOS. All you need is Windows 10 installation media which you can get for free from Microsoft. There is no need to buy a new license unless you want to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.

mcgrevan likes this.
  3. hireegy

hireegy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Indeed, now that I've used it for some time, I can see it too: some keys (like the "0" key) can make multiple output when I type them. The "p" just did in "type". It seems quite random, and probably some wrong signal processing in the keyboard hardware or firmware (if there is such a thing). Normally it should resolve such aliases. I am sorry to hear the problem is that intense in your case!

For the screen color, I have no problems here, everything seems fine.

On another note, I do have a big problem with the GTX 1070 Max-Q:
    - Yesterday, I discovered I could not watch teaser videos on Steam in full screen, only in window view
    - Today, I discovered Solidworks simply does not work. I have a black viewport, no matter whether I try to tell the Nvidia utility to use integrated or discrete graphics. Something in the very existence of the Nvidia driver does not work with Solidworks... I am investigating it right now, and would like to know whether anyone else has had similar problems of black screens in *some* programs with the Max-Q card!

4. mcgrevan

mcgrevan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ah, so even if you are creating a new partition on the same SSD to do the clean install of windows, the license programmed into BIOS will work? (because you are technically installing windows again)

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

5. MetaRvB

Reputations:
    Correct. If you want to double check, there are many utilities that can retrieve the key from BIOS/motherboard. I've used this one on several occasions:

http://neosmart.net/OemKey/

You can keep the key for your records just in case, however, when you install Windows 10 from scratch, you will notice that the installation will not ask for the key or the Win10 edition, because it will be retrieved automatically.

6. French51

French51 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone,

I read this forum since its creation. Thank you for your feedback and your help, which are valuable.

I received today my AERO 15.

I would like to format the hard drive and make a new installation of the system, before starting to use the computer, so as to have the feeling of appropriating the system and starting on seine bases.

But I have never done this type of manipulation and so I have concerns.

1) How to fully format the hard drive?
    2) Can this manipulation affect the BIOS setup?
    3) What about the "notion" of UEFI? I do not know what it represents but I know it is mentioned when it comes to reinstalling a system.
    4) What are the main effects to be aware of when undertaking this manipulation?
    5) Are there any risks?
    6) I guess it's not difficult to get a WINDOWS installation?
    7) But what about the activation of the license? Is it confirmed that I would not have to worry because the BIOS will do it?
    8) As for the calibration of the screen, is it confirmed that SMARTUPDATE will recover it for me?
    9) I certainly forget other questions ...

I really need your advice and recommendations, and thank you very much in advance.

7. mcgrevan

mcgrevan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you for posting this. I didn’t know and it’s super helpful. I’ve never done a clean install of windows. Is there a video walkthrough that you recommend? I’ve looked on YT and there are hundreds but just curious to know if you have a favorite. If not I totally understand.

Also the Gigabyte Smart recovery software, have you used it to do the key change?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

8. MetaRvB

Reputations:
    In fact, there are several ways you can re-install windows from scratch. In order to save time and make sure you do not accidentally remove the recovery partition, try using this method:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/265054/how-to-easily-reinstall-windows-10-without-the-bloatware/

make sure you have downloaded wireless and lan drivers from Gigabyte just in case before re-installing windows.

Not sure what you mean by the "key change".

9. P2K18

P2K18 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey all, does anyone know how to disable the caps lock enable/disable notifications? They seem to cause lag ingame (CSGO) when I enable/disable caps lock.

10. MaanKaas

MaanKaas Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I did the following, it will disable all gigabyte On Screen notifications.