*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. Avalix

Avalix Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all, Just picked up a Aero 15 and i want to hook it up to my two monitor setup. Can anyone tell me if the laptop will support a thunderbolt 3 to Duel Displayport adapter? I' ve read a few things that it can only support one monitor out of the TB3 port, but its hard to confirm?

Cheers!

2. Osadst

Osadst Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello Everyone !
    I have been following this thread from last few months, since I started looking for a gaming laptop for myself. I got my Aero 15 about 3 weeks ago and after all the helpful info I found here, I feel obligated to write my short review here.

I looked for a right laptop for so long as:
    1. I am big into 3D graphics (3dDS Max, Substance Painter), so needed both performance & colour accurate display.
    2. Still in college and travel abroad a lot, so battery life was quite important for me.
    3. Coming from MacBook Pro 2014, got used to good quality machine.

So I bought my Aero 15 from Spain (www.pccomponents.com), great customer service and price lower than from Amazon.co.uk or german websites, although delivery took 3 weeks time.
    First of all I was seriously shocked by its size! :eek: Its is so small in dimensions, you would never say it is such a performance beast! Just few mm thicker than my macbook pro but smaller in circuit (not sure if its the right word sorry). Let's keep it easy to read so:

PROS:
    • Overall good build quality, obviously not as good as Macbook Pro but much better than most of gaming laptops I have seen, keyboard feels sturdy.
    • Seriously gorgeous display, except lower resolution than my mac (was 2800 x 1900) I can't tell big difference between their vivid colours it's and now I don't have those bloody scaling issues while using Windows via bootcamp! :D Imo it literally crushes all the gaming laptops displays I have seen around in the shops & college.
    • Battery is just great, on 30% brightness (which is still pretty good) and using word it showed me 11h+ lol,
    • Cooling is also surprisingly good for such a thin laptop, I did some rendering in 3ds MAX and fans are about 50% while CPU is 75 celcius which is GREAT.
    • Laptop is dead quiet under light usage
    • System performance is good, although mine Aero came with TS256GMTS800 which from what I see is pretty slow nvme
    • Didn't have a chance to play anything else other than Smite, everything full with 200% textures scaling, around 130fps+
    • I was really concerned about keyboard ghosting but didn't find ANY GHOSTING ISSUES so far
    • Keyboard RGB lighting is great
    • Fingerprint is not as bad as I thought it is manageable to keep the laptop clean
    • No problems connecting my 24-inch HP monitor

TOLERABLE:
    • Back light bleeding is present but I cannot notice it while normal usage, only in the evening when booting up the machine. IT IS VERY SMALL in my case, not even close to the famous video of that guy complaining about his
    • Mouse coursor tends to freeze for few milliseconds when graphic switches
    • Gigabyte Fusion software can be slow and glitchy
    • Trackpad is just fine (above average), needs some time to get used to it

CONCERNS
    • Since I Play smite on this machine it's very laggy but not sure if its either my bad internet provider, windows 10 problems or laptop driver / wi-fi card - Anyone else has that issue?
    • Display hinges seems to be are a bit weak (it falls down when reaches about 30 degress) not so annoying but worth to mention
    • USB hubs are very tight
    • Camera image quality isn't great
    • Could not find out how to get that battery indicator to work
    • Top panel seems to be delicate, it is relatively easy to scratch it, I wish it was made with same material as the keyboard panel
    • Too much bloatware

To 3D artists and other content creators:
    Guys, the ability to light each key with different colour + mapping one KEY to different keys combinations is so cool I can't stress it more! For example I lid up only my 3ds Max shortcuts, giving each category different colour. I also, for example, mapped F12 to act as SHIFT + ALT + C so it runs one of my scripts. The possibilities are endless and it speeds up and make your workflow very comfortable.

Conclusion:
    Sorry guys, did not expect this review to be so long. Overall I am super happy with the laptop so far, its light weight and battery life are perfect for a student. Super display and GTX 1060 are great for content creators and gamers. I will take some pictures with mapped and lighted up keys for 3ds max workflow,I am sure some of you will like it.

Thanks everyone for all the useful information I found on this forum before my purchase !

Traviepie likes this.
  3. HussainQ

HussainQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Has anyone repasted with Grizzly Conductonaut (LM)? What were your temperatures at idle and load?
    I only see an improvement on my CPU side.

Thanks!

4. Meetloaf13

Meetloaf13 fear the MONKEY!!!

Reputations:
    Did you download the Synaptics or Elan?

5. HussainQ

Reputations:
    Should be ELAN since the Aero 15 uses ELAN drivers.

Meetloaf13 likes this.
  6. lebellium

lebellium Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    You have to press the trackpad corner quite hard.

7. Shark00n

Shark00n Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey guys!
    A friend of mine got one of these, looks like a beastly machine.
    Just wondering, any real important tweaks that have to be made on it? Thanks!

Also, what kind of undervoling voltages are you guys running?

And lastly, does it need a BIOS update? Can't find a changelog so I'm being precaucious. Is the BETA BIOS any better?

And he's having some keyboard issues. What's the best keyboard firmware? The latest?

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  8. HussainQ

Reputations:
    I'm running my CPU at -0.125mV but I think it can go farther.
    The BIOS update is useful if you use TB3 for eGPUs or anything else of the kind, since AFAIK it enabled the full speed of the TB3 port @ 40Gbps (used to be ~18Gbps I think).

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    Shark00n likes this.
  9. Bowlerguy92

Bowlerguy92 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Is anyone having issues with external displays? I have my Aero 15 plugged into my 24" 1440p monitor outputting at that resolution. If I leave and come back after awhile, my monitor is dark and I have to open the lid of the laptop and then re-adjust which screen it's projecting to using the F hot key. Unfortunately, it seems a high percentage of the time, I'll then get a BSOD and the computer will restart.

Anyone else seeing this? I've also just seen some other general wonkyness where it doesn't seem to want to display correctly or I'll get weird colors or something on my monitor until I reconnect the HDMI cable which will fix it.

10. deoFusion

deoFusion Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone tried using the latest nvidia driver on the gigabyte site for the Aero 15x, on the Aero 15?

I wanted to use a more updated driver and so I initially used the latest onefor notebooks direct from the nvidia site. However, it resulted in an annoying bug with a black screen when resuming from sleep with a connected external monitor (via HDMI) as described here: http://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/2197/gigabyte-aero-15-booting-problem

I've reverted to gigabyte's latest one for the Aero 15 in the meantime.