*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. HussainQ

HussainQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ^No idea why.

Also, same reaction, but wouldn't really shell out that much extra for the upgrade.

divv likes this.
  2. frostwarefx

frostwarefx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Congrats! Who did you buy from and did you get any free games? and did you get the black colour you wanted?

3. divv

divv Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks frostwarefx..
    I bought from pclinkshop - sadly the icky orange and no games but since the wall is the only thing that "sees" the orange 99% of the time, and given that I'm not a gamer to start with, I decided I could live with both issues, and I opted for the savings rather.

frostwarefx likes this.
  4. divv

divv Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don't know if this problem is restricted to us South Africa Aero owner, but it is over 24 hours later and I am STILL trying to finish updating the drivers. Several times a driver gets to a certain point and no further with the download..
    So from my experience "Smart update" is ANYTHING BUT!
    Really frustrated and annoyed...

5. lebellium

lebellium Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Downloads with Smart Update are terribly slow. It's faster when downloading from the product support page and selecting the FTP in your region.
    But Smart Update is the only way to get the newest drivers as soon as they get released. The product support page is updated a few days later.

divv likes this.
  6. SBalazs

SBalazs Newbie

Reputations:
    hello all,

Last week I have purchased an aero 15 in the US through newegg. I generally like and satisfied with the new machine except one issue: it seems to be very slow to boot and wake up from sleep (I have cleared it from bloatware). The wake up time is often more than 5secs which is significantly longer than on my 5 years old dell XPS. disappointing. I seem to recall from reviews I read that the aero 15 has a rather slow SSD. Is that right and if yes does that explain the slow boot/wake up times?

I noticed on this thread that some people have upgraded to Samsung EVO 960 SSDs, does that solve the problem? Are there some practical guides about the upgrade? Does this upgrade lead to noticeable performance gains (first hand experience reports would be much much appreciated) with respect to boot and wake up times?

best, BS

7. lebellium

lebellium Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    With the 960 Evo:
    - Boot up: 14 seconds to reach the login screen (then the session loading time depends on your default programs at startup so hard to compare*)
    - Sleep: 6-10 seconds
    - Wake up: 4 seconds

* For me it's an additionnal 35 seconds (14 + 35 = ~50 seconds) to load my Windows session + many programs including Firefox and Outlook (see in attachment) so it's clearly not optimized for boot time. I only start it up once a day so it's not a big deal

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  8. CedricFP

CedricFP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have an NVME SSD, the Toshiba XG4. It's not as fast as a 960 Evo but it is faster than the stock SATA drive.

Unfortunately wake from sleep time for me is still at least 5 seconds also.

As a result, I've set it to not sleep when plugged in; it's not ideal but it's the only workaround I've got that doesn't involve having to wait 5 seconds every time I return to my desk from whereever.

9. kllla

kllla Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Does Aero 15 support upgrading to 2666 mhz or 3000 mhz ram?

Never mind, I asked the newegg chat guy and he confirmed 2666 the max speed.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  10. CedricFP

CedricFP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It will be based off the chipset and from what I saw poking around the bios, there is no option to enable XMP profiles.