*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. HussainQ

HussainQ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Update: I think I fixed my battery issues by doing a clean re-install of my GPU drivers (basically go to geforce experience and do a custom re-installation of my driver).

Usage is down ~12000 now. I'll update if this doesn't stick!

hmscott and CedricFP like this.
  2. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don´t have an Aero, but I imagine it gets about the same firestrike graphics score as my 1060 notebook, in the 11700 range with no OC´ing. The 1070MQ gets at least 14500 in firestrike graphics, potentially more depending on the implementation (zephyrus gets 16000). So the performance is there, around 20-25%. Now the question would be thermal impact of such an upgrade and the price increase, at least $200 more....if it is worth it or not.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    CedricFP likes this.
  3. Keklord

Keklord Newbie

Reputations:
    So I'm having an issues with my Aero 15 ,which I recently got, where the processor never seems to be at a constant clock speed even though I have adjusted the power options to keep it at the maximum speed constantly. Sometimes the laptop will be idle and it will be running at the full turbo speed but as soon as I try and run a game or a stress test it will lower the speed to like 2.13 Ghz and sometimes even lower even though I have adjusted the power options as mentioned before. This only happens when I am using the laptop on battery only and I want to know if this is how the laptop is meant to work or if it is just an issue with mine? I would assume its not how the laptop should work because if I wanted to be plugged in all the time to get the most out of my system then I would have just built a desktop. While I understand that I will not be able to game for hours on end on battery, I feel that I should be able to have that option without losing out on any performance. The reason I am asking this and kind of ranting is that it was running fine about a week ago, I was getting good frame rates on games, while running on only the battery, and the processor was running up to the 3.8 Ghz boost clock. But for some reason now that does not seem to be the case. I would appreciate if someone could respond with suggestions to what I should try and do or if anyone could clarify something that perhaps I am just missing or do not fully understand. Sorry if I excluded some details but I'm in a hurry at the moment and just wanted to post this to see if anyone could help. Thanks in advance

4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yes, the battery alone can't sustain for performance. All laptops are like this, they only give full performance on AC.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  5. JiDey247

JiDey247 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Do you think it would impact the thermal performances of the Aero in a huge way? Not sure of that. And still 20% more performances isn't nothing.
    Would be stupid to buy an Aero 15 now if a new version is going to be released soon. But looks like I don't really have the choice.

But if it's an October release I can wait until that time

Vistar Shook likes this.
  6. frostwarefx

frostwarefx Newbie

Reputations:
    I got my black Aero 15 a week ago. I'm in South Africa so the model I got has 1x16GB of Kingston ram and 1x512GB Transcend SSD (TS512GMTS800) so there's plenty of room for upgrading. It came with a light grey backpack and gaming mouse. I’m disappointed that the gigabyte supplier (Rectron) did not provide me with any game bundles. The other suppliers here are bundling the purchase of this laptop with rocket league from nvidia and 3 free games from Intel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm a 3D developer so I use After Effects, Autodesk Maya, and Photoshop. My review is based my real-world usage and not benchmarks that you can find elsewhere.

There is backlight bleed at the bottom but it is only noticeable if your brightness is set to max and your screen is black(blank) so don't let that bother you because the chances of your screen being blank for the bleed to be visible is rare to none. If you're watching a movie with max brightest you won't even see the bleed, if there's a picture or something on your screen, the bleed is not visible. The screen is sharp, clear and beautiful to look at.

[​IMG]
    These pictures were taken with maximum brightness and as you can see there is no visible bleed. I couldn't take a photo with a black screen as the camera would not focus and also note that the lighter colours came out over exposed because of the cellular camera, these pictures don't due justice to the clarity of the screen.
    [​IMG]

Gaming performance is good, I tested The Division on high/max settings @ 1080p and got high 50-60fps. Fans do get noisy though when gaming but if you have it set to quiet mode and do non-intensive tasks, it's dead quiet! Fans don't spin and there's no electronic noises like buzzing so it's an absolute pleasure to use in a quiet environment.

The wifi is fast, I copied 200GB of files over to the laptop and the transfer rate was 600mbps in the task manager, granted I was positioned close to the router.

[​IMG]

The Gigabyte smart manager software shows all the vital info and allows control of various aspects of the laptop but it has a very dated look from a decade ago and the smart update software takes forever to download the latest software versions and drivers. You have to manually select to download and install each driver/software, there needs to be an option to select multiple items to update at once. I don't know why the latest versions are only available to download from the smart-update software and the gigabyte website does not have the latest versions listed there. It would be nice if release notes were available but sadly there is none. I can’t seem to download the latest card reader driver, it goes to 1% then says to check my internet connection. As for bloatware, you don’t need to format and reinstall windows, just go into the control panel and remove what you don’t need. I uninstalled cyberlink power dvd, all the camera software, xsplit gamecaster and lan optimizer for example. It’s much quicker than going for the format and reinstall route.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The best thing about this laptop is the RGB fusion keyboard lights, it just looks amazing! I love that the light shines through the numbers/letters rather than around the actual key. The keyboard combinations of 3 keys are working good for my work flow. All the keys feel good, only my escape key feels tacky. The keyboard “fn” shortcuts allow you to control volume, brightness and fan speed to name a few. No issues with the trackpad, expect the battery click function doesn’t work on my laptop.

I would highly recommend this machine! It’s beautifully designed with beastly performance. If there’s anything I would like to see changed, it would be the design of the smart manager software.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017 at 11:54 AM
  7. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I was actually commenting on the 1070MQ, battery usage and performance, not that I think it will be released anytime soon if ever. Answering your quesetion, the thermal impact is manageable judging by other notebooks that implemented the MQ. However I doubt very much there will be an upgrade around the corner for this particular machine. The target audience for the Aero is different than a pure gaming machine, which tends to be upgraded with every new tech. Maybe, just maybe, they might opt for the MQ when Coffeelake HQ is out, if only as a place holder till Volta is out.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017 at 8:18 AM
  8. HussainQ

Reputations:
    Oddly enough, the power issue re-appears after a reboot. I'll try the re-install again, else I have no clue what the issue is.

EDIT: Issue remains, I'm going to try an older driver.
    EDIT2: That didn't help. Basically I have to reinstall my drivers every time I reboot, so i should probably just use hibernate mode.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017 at 1:54 PM
    hmscott likes this.
  9. HussainQ

Reputations:
    @CedricFP Did you do a clean installation of windows?

10. CedricFP

CedricFP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, I reinstalled Windows and have upgraded to W10 Pro. I hope you solve your battery drainage issue.

Are you absolutely sure your CPU isn't being pegged to 5~7% usage because of monitoring software? Like I said in my earlier post, MSI AB, HWINFO, HWMONITOR, etc, anything that measure's CPU/GPU temps pegs me to 5~7% CPU usage and increases my dischage to baout 25k, what you're seeing.

I have no idea why this happens.