*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. HussainQ

HussainQ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm using BatteryBar, it gives the current usage through a widget.

Thanks for helping.
    IMO this is really bad battery life compared to the advertised 10 hours and the 7 hours that others are getting.

EDIT: Oddly enough, connecting my external usb display does not affect the battery life prediction at all. It basically stays the same. Whereas on my old laptop, the battery life would be halved.

2. CedricFP

CedricFP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Okay, I'll install it today and see if I can get some figures to share.

I was a little disappointed with battery life myself. I can get 7 hours, but that is with *extremely* light usage and screen brightness down to like 20%. Typically, I'll see 5 hours doing my normal work, but that's on the balanced profile.

10 hours is basically not do-able and faulty advertising.

I was confused as to why the Aero 14 manages so much more battery life. Is it simply the 1 inch difference in panel size?

3. HussainQ

HussainQ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Same. I was under the assumption the battery life would be identical to the aero 14.
    It is definitely possible to get 10 hours, just not on this unit for some reason.

4. CedricFP

Reputations:
    Balanced profile (you can see in the smart manager), 50% screen brightness (also can see in smart manager) battery discharge:

[​IMG]

roughly 10,000mw (fluctuated between 10 and 11) which should work out to 8~9 hours of battery life, but I've never gotten that much before.

Edit: I'm not sure how accruate battery bar is, but if we're running the same software on the same laptops, then we've got points of comparison. Again, I'm at -115mv undervolt on the CPU.

Edit2: BTW, MSI afterburner seems to peg my CPU usage at 5~7% constantly which radically reduces my battery life. Closing MSI AB means I get proper idle CPU usage.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  5. ginar yp

ginar yp Newbie

Reputations:
    I'll test with that same config.
    Anyone knows about "Battery Click" feature?
    ["...Because details count, we have added a “battery click” function to keep track of the remaining battery life. You can now know exactly how much battery is left without even turning your laptop on, just by looking at the icon next to your trackpad..."]
    How to use it?

CedricFP likes this.
  6. CedricFP

Reputations:
    When your laptop is asleep or off, if you press down on right click, right next to the battery icon on your trackpad, the LED indicator lights on the front edge of the laptop will light up to indicate battery life. Like, 1 LED = low battery, 3 LEDs = medium battery, etc.

Honestly, it's not a very useful feature, and I have *never* used it.

7. ginar yp

ginar yp Newbie

Reputations:
    Yup, just a little feature..Thanks

8. nickisverygood

nickisverygood Newbie

Reputations:
    Disable 3d graphic acceleration in bios. It disables the gpu completely and I get ~9000mW while normal use.

CedricFP likes this.
  9. CedricFP

Reputations:
    I don't have to disable the GPU in the bios to get a 10~11k discharge rate, so hopefully there's a more convenient option :)

But that actually reminds me of my old Vaio Z1 where there was a physical switch to disable the dGPU. It was pretty neat. Manual optimus.

10. dme102

dme102 Newbie

Reputations:
    Just got my Aero 15 yesterday and loving it so far!

One issue... when I plug my phone in to the USB ports it is on slow charge, not fast charge. Do I need to update a driver or something? Could someone else test this and see if it's fast charging for them? (I am specifically testing the left hand USB with the "SS" symbol so it should be rapid charge.)

Also, what drivers should one update when first setting up this PC? I downloaded a few of the drivers from the Gigabyte website (e.g. chipset, Thunderbolt, etc) but when I went to run them it said the drivers installed were newer. Am I missing out on anything by NOT installing/updating any drivers?