*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. KML

KML Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys. I have a question for owners here. Do you think this laptop worth buying? Well, someone can say that the answer of this question is more than 100-page long most of which I've already read. But I'm asking if the owners are really happy with the device, without regretting their choice. Without thinking that another specific laptop would be a better one for their money :)

Apart from the known issues like keyboard ghosting, can it give the performance promised uncut and without rising above temperatures like 80-85 C during long sessions (gaming or cpu heavy tasks) like they say in the reviews? Maybe after undervolting (without liquid metal)?

Assuming that someone got a flawless Aero 15, how long do you think can it last before something inside dies? I know this question is a bit... hard to answer but I generally use my laptops until they become useless or dead.

Thanks in advance.

tobham likes this.
  2. hyvas

hyvas Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Everyone! I've been searching around for a new laptop and this one looks like it might have the right combination of what I was looking for.

I use my laptop connected to power 99% of the time (only reason for having a laptop rather than a desktop is that it needs to move countries with me every few months). I used to quickly screw up batteries by having them fully charged the whole time (bad for li-ion batteries). In recent years I've managed this by removing the battery (always had an externally accessible battery up till now) except when needed.

So I was wondering - are there any battery charge threshold options (e.g. start charging at x%, stop at y%) in the BIOS or anything to help with this (I see Dell provides these)? Or, is disconnecting the battery a realistic option (or just too much of a pain)?

Thanks!

bberry110 likes this.
  3. Dannya951

Dannya951 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Bad news. I called in today, and got a totally different answer again. The representative I spoke with said "we had a meeting with HQ and decided not replace the keyboards." I don't know if by HQ he's referring to Gigabyte Taiwan vs. Gigabyte USA, but whatever corporate entity is in charge has spoken and decided keyboard replacements aren't happening across the board. Management's decision to not replace the keyboards was based on two factors:
    1) 3+ Key Rollover / Non-Ghosting was technically never marketed as a feature on the Aero 15, so apparently they're legally not really required to do anything about it. As such, they've decided such a replacement program wouldn't be worth the cost and bad PR.
    2) The keyboards used on the Aero 15 apparently come from three different manufacturers, and at least one of them can be "fixed" with software/driver/firmware updates alone, no macros required. Unfortunately, there's apparently no way to tell based on serial number which keyboard you have. Even worse, you may have one of the "fixable" keyboards, and you still wouldn't be able to tell because the software/driver/firmware updates that Gigabyte's repair center is using to fix them is technically still in beta and not yet available to the public. So, for the time being, they don't want to have everyone send in their laptops if a third of them don't need to be sent in.

As far as servicing goes, the news isn't great. Edward in the customer service's notebook support group said customers are allowed to send in their laptops for keyboard service. The same shipping rules listed in my last post still apply, you just have to send in proof of purchase with an appropriate date. The repair center will try their beta fixes to see if you have one of the miracle keyboards. If you do and the fixes work, they verify the previously non-functional key combinations and send the laptop back to you. If you have any other keyboard, the repair center will petition "HQ" to see if they can perform a hardware fix.

What makes no sense to me is why HQ would decide against a broad policy of replacing keyboards, only to potentially authorize individual keyboard replacements in the future. Obviously they decided they're covered legally and that the cost isn't worth it, so it seems like they're really not incentivized to/interested in helping the customer, anyway. But for what it's worth, the possibility of having your bad keyboard replaced still technically exists. Turnaround time at the repair center is 5-8 business days. Accounting for shipping, the process of checking key combinations and having the laptop serviced could take up more than half of a retailers 30-day return period. I may give it a shot and just have it serviced as soon as I purchase it.

@p0izn Sorry, I forgot to bring up the issue of your ticket. Let me know if you want me to call again specifically in regards to that, I'd be happy to help.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    p0izn, Vistar Shook and hmscott like this.
  4. scrod

scrod Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah it's pretty much the same with most companies unless you get Ann Apple or buy through Costco:(

So many farm out support to Asia where they use scripts to basically try to make you give up.

5. Dubalgan

Dubalgan Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, for me, if I had to do it again, I would do it again without hesitation. The laptop corresponds perfectly to my expectations (doing MAO), and I don't notice keyboard or screen problem like we can read here.

I don't know because I don't play, I made some photo processing but not for long period.

Difficult to estimate. 10 years ago, I bought an Asus gaming 15" laptop (there was 10 years). It was in plastic and didn't like it 2 years after. After that I bought an Sony which was a good one but there was a switch to commute between graphic card and embedded graphic --> useless and source of bugs. For working, I used some Dell (I have an XPS 13 at this time. I think they are good quality laptop and they can last more than 4 years before beeing progressively obsolete. The principal default on my XPS 13" is the lake of port (only 2 USB+1display port...).
    Now I have the Aero 15 for my personnal use. It's a good one with a robust chassis and high end component. It's a good compromise between gaming laptop with (but fragile materials) and pro ultra portable (but with the lake of in/out ports). It's the first time I have one with all this criteria, and I like the look (I have the green one and the Numeric Pad is very appreciable). I hope this one will still be in full use in 4 years, I will probably consider replacing it in 5 or 6 years

Note : in forums, owners generaly reports there problems. In my opinion, the product reviews in the forums are not representative. When all is Ok with your materials, you don't need to report it. For me all is ok and I am very satisfied.

And sorry for my very bad english...

KML and p0izn like this.
  6. Mathlan

Mathlan Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,
    I will receive my aero 15 next week.
    What do you recommend to perform on it before first use ? (fresh windows installation ... ?)

7. Logs

Logs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok well what do other people suggest then as the next best since Gigabyte isn't getting their act together.

I'm coming from an x3+ v3 that fell apart in less than 2 years. I really don't want to go bigger than the aero 15.

8. Morningkill

Morningkill Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That's exactly why I'm sure it was the perfect choice for me too
    But for pro usage, the keyboard issues are a big deal.
    (and maybe, for gaming in 3/4 years, the TB3 port speed, but it's a lesser issue)

9. Dubalgan

Dubalgan Newbie

Reputations:
    I just made some updates (BIOS, and some drivers). I recommend that you use it as is for a certain period and then see later for a new installation (for example on the occasion of the release of a new Windows)

I didn't observe keyboard issu for me. What I have to do to check this? For the moment, the keyboard do what I want when I press a key.
    What is exactly the problem with the TB3 port speed, and how can I check this? I don't have TB3 device and I hope TB3 audio interfaces will be release soon for my use.

10. Morningkill

Morningkill Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations: