*** OFFICIAL GIGABYTE AERO 15 OWNERS LOUNGE ***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BringTheRain403, May 8, 2017.

1. BringTheRain403

BringTheRain403 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just figured I'd start this. Mine comes tomorrow and I have a Samsung EVO960 coming the next day to swap out the m.2 SATA drive.

Aside from removing the unneeded bloatware what other performance mods would everyone recommend?

Thanks!

Also, anyone that has received this already. Do you know if the drive has a recovery partition? If it does what is the best way to clone that drive over to the new SSD I'm putting in? Samsung's data migration software supposedly won't work if there's a recovery partition.

Thanks!

2. XH558

XH558 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I upgraded to a 1TB Evo 960 too on my Aero 14. I used Acronis full disk backup to move all partitions to the new drive. Then used partition magic (free version) to resize the main partition.

Sent from my Plus E using Tapatalk

3. BringTheRain403

Reputations:
    Is Acronis free? Sorry this is the first time I've ever done this. I've usually just done a fresh install when I change drives but I'm guessing there's no recovery media included with this computer

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

4. InvoluntorySoul

InvoluntorySoul Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    do you guys know the internal DAC spec? how do you guys like the sound quality?

5. brucek2

brucek2 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The sound chip in mine is the Realtek ALC255. I've done one listening session (headphones) so far and did not care for the results - music and video both sounded harsh and tinny on the high end. To be fair though most of my listening is via very nice equipment off my desktop, and that's not a fair comparison. But to be fair again on the other side, I also often listen to my iphone and ipad using the standard apple ear pods and if I'm not paying special attention there the sound will not draw attention to itself in a negative way like it did on the Aero 15.

Don't take this as the final word. The laptop sounds off enough to me that I suspect there may be a driver / "sound improvement filter" hidden somewhere I haven't found yet that just needs to be turned off or configured properly. I got one notch of improvement already by turning off the defaulted on dolby pro feature. I'm also not sure how different any other laptop would be.

6. brucek2

brucek2 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Please let us know how it goes with your EVO 960... I've got one coming too. I'm on the fence between trying to move my existing drive contents or whether to start over with a fresh install of Win 10 Pro.

7. brucek2

brucek2 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Has anyone undervolted their Aero 15 yet? If so care to share your final settings and temps?

8. BringTheRain403

Reputations:
    I don't think so. @iunlock made a bunch of mods but I don't think that was one of them...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

9. iunlock

iunlock 7820HK @ 4.7GHz

Reputations:
    Review will be up soon...

::iunlock::

10. iunlock

iunlock 7820HK @ 4.7GHz

Reputations:
    Yes it has it. You can use macruim to clone it over to your new drive.
    Always go a clean install. :)

::iunlock::

brucek2 likes this.