*OFFICIAL* Gateway Creator Series Model: GWTN156-3 i5-10300H W/ RTX 2060

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by djweissman, Mar 19, 2021.

1. whiterose

whiterose Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Those temps are really impressive since I also applied liquid metal about a month ago and with the 115W bios I am still getting 86*C on the GPU and close to 90-95*C on the CPU. Perhaps I may have applied less since I wanted to be really conservative with how the liquid metal was applied since it was also my first time as well.

For the GPU, I applied the 'Kapton' tape to the capacitors and made sure there was no gap in between the die and the tape so that no liquid metal can get there. I believe either my application of the liquid metal was not enough or there is something completely wrong with my heatsink.

2. DCSS

DCSS Newbie

Reputations:
    The biggest tweak I found to improve my experience with this laptop was disabling Turboboost (through a regedit). This had a much greater effect than the -50 undervolt or the Evoo fan software. The fans were actually ruining my experience with this laptop, as even doing basic tasks like installing software caused the fans to roar, even on my quietest fan profiles.

It has greatly reduced fan usage and noise. and CPU temps while doing my most intensive tasks (e.g. playing a relatively modern game on high settings) have dropped by about 10c degrees. The game I'm playing now (Bioshock Infinite, not a demanding game) took my CPU to about 75c-85c before this tweak. Now it never reaches 70c. Installing software no longer kicks the fans into overdrive.

I have not noticed any drops in performance, but admittedly I don't do a lot of CPU-intensive tasks.

In order to do this, I had to edit my registry (you can google how to disable turboboost through regedit if you're not familiar). I then disabled Turboboost on all of my profiles and this laptop has never worked better.

3. whiterose

whiterose Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am loving this laptop, even though its a 2060 and a i5 in here, the gaming capabilities are amazing. I am coming from weak older computers with a GTX950m and never imagined I'd be playing MS Flight Simulator and get over 25FPS with all high and some ultra settings. Here's a beautiful screenshot of me flying the TBM930 to NYC. I am running the 115W bios for the 2060 and have applied Liquid Metal (may need to reapply if the copper soaked it in) but this is beautiful. [​IMG]

Attached Files: