*OFFICIAL* Gateway Creator Series Model: GWTN156-3 i5-10300H W/ RTX 2060

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by djweissman, Mar 19, 2021.

1. djweissman

djweissman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks. I will try 125/500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. whiterose

whiterose Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So far, playing a few games here and there, especially games that are more GPU intensive than CPU, I am seeing a lot more FPS and a lot more smoother game play. I can say that the bios flash at least for me made a difference that I can not only see but can also feel (the heat). I am seeing more frame rates in first person shooter games (BF5, Cyberpunk, Splitgate).

I am also undervolting the CPU (more power reserved for the GPU) and overclocking the 2060 (150+ GPU and 300+ Memory).

In CPU intensive games (MS Flight Simulator), I do see some dips in FPS when loading new textures or new parts of the world map or using third-party add ons (Volanta or NeoFly). This usually happens when the CPU usage goes up - I do see the voltage numbers dropping, perhaps to accommodate the CPU as well even with the undervolting. This only happens when the CPU boosts to 4GHz.

So far, I'm enjoying the flash. I think it made a noticeable difference for me and may put off buying a newer 3060 laptop for another year or so

. In terms of thermals, even though I am running hotter than before, I am not seeing any adverse effects yet besides some throttling. I am planning on repasting my CPU/GPU with liquid metal soon so hopefully I can have the best of both worlds.

Has anyone else repasted with liquid metal yet? How much of the difference have you seen?

djweissman likes this.
  3. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Everything is just under a lot more stress than it was designed for, you could have a fan go much more easily etc But if you were willing to buy a 3060 laptop less than a year after this was released then I guess it's good for you. I aim to keep this for at least 3 years. The battery on this thing already was pretty bad, I think with only dgpu I get less than 3hrs non gaming use. There is no real warranty on this as well, a reviewer on the walmart site described what he went through to learn that, pretty much could see that from "gateways" web site lol

Hardware Unboxed found the 115 watt 2060 about 13% faster than the 80 watt 2060, or 8% faster than the 90 watt 2060. @60fps=+5fps @120fps=+10fps

https://techplanet.today/post/new-rtx-2060-115w-gaming-benchmarks-msi-gl65-20-game-test

djweissman and whiterose like this.
  4. djweissman

Reputations:
    I’m going to flash the bios after I can save for the same Laptop or a better on. I really want to do the flash but if it gets bricked then I won’t be able to play the Diablo remaster. That’s more important to me than more power. Also if I did the flash, it would make the system less stable and more heat equals problems for most of the internals. I’m still on the fence. Convince me why or why I shouldn’t do it. Thanks.

P.S; friend me on steam. Also friend me on other clients. Inquire for my username to other clients. I have them all.

Danny

[​IMG]

5. djweissman

Reputations:
    I think I’m gonna try the bios flash. Any words or wisdom/warning before I do so?

Thanks y’all,

Danny

6. whiterose

whiterose Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think you’ll be fine. Just follow the instructions on that post. It takes about 5 minutes. After it flashes, the screen will be blank. Just hold down the power button and restart the computer and you’re done.

if you want you can also undervolt the CPU on the bios and then adjust it more using throttle stop app.

As always - do it if you’re comfortable with the heat and the possible risks.

djweissman likes this.
  7. djweissman

Reputations:
    Thanks for the confidence,

Danny

8. I922sParkCir

I922sParkCir Newbie

Reputations:
    An update on my machine! I noticed my idle temps were starting to creep up and while playing FlightSim in VR the CPU would constantly be at 95 and the GPU would start hitting 79. I didn’t want to revert from my 115w vBIOS, so I ended up repasting by following this guide:

I applied Kryonaut to the GPU and Conductonaut liquid metal to the CPU.

[​IMG]

I applied two layers non-conducting conformal coating around the CPU and then surrounded the die with polyamide high temp tape. That drop of liquid metal (minus what stuck to the applicator q-tip) was more than enough to fully coat the CPU die and the contact area on the copper heat sink.

I did not apply liquid metal to the GPU because the die is surrounded by capacitors and I considered them to have a slightly higher risk of exposure. Also, I didn’t want the conformal coating and tape to have an insulating effect on those capacitors and shorten their life.

I was expecting this to just refresh the thermals back to when I bought it, but it actually resulted in what I would consider a best case scenario. The idle temps are in the 30’s. Under a CPU only heavy load the CPU stays in the 50’s and only very occasionally jumps to the low 60’s when in a warm room.

I haven’t done enough testing and recording in Flight Sim but the CPU is now in the 80’s and the GPU is now in the low 70’s. Since the GPU and CPU share heat pipes, anything that lowers CPU temps, will help the GPU.

TimeSpy results are the same but the temps recorded are at about ~10 degrees lower at all points. Makes sense that the score didn’t change since the machine was never thermally throttling to begin with.

Lastly, when just doing CPU only tasks the fans are super quiet. It’s great improvement. If you accept the risk, feel comfortable repasting, and take all the precautions, I think this is a good way to go when it comes time to repaste. Just remember, if the liquid metal gets on any of the capacitors, or traces, it can totally destroy your laptop. With the conformal coating, tape, and applying just enough, I don’t see that as likely.

Things I used:
    Conformal Coating (MOST IMPORTANT):
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B8RY7M6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

High Temp Tape (ALSO VERY IMPORTANT): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072Z92QZ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A9KIGSI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011F7W3LU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

djweissman, hertzian56 and 4W4K3 like this.
  9. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Nice, will def help with longevity. That video has some good info on what is compatible too bc I've already tried one so called nvme that was sata really and not compatible. This runs hot default no doubt, I get consistent 80c cpu 75c gpu while gaming high level but haven't had any problems. If you haven't done it yet the eluktronics control panel with the fans set to office mode will cut down on the over aggressive fans and noise.

djweissman likes this.
  10. djweissman

Reputations:
    Well done. Opened mine two days ago and pulled freaking hair ball size pieces of cat hair out of the fans. Lowered temps dramatically. Just a friendly reminder. This is how much cat hair I pulled out of the fans! Crazy low temps now. https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/com...urce=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Attached Files:

hertzian56 likes this.