*OFFICIAL* Gateway Creator Series Model: GWTN156-3 i5-10300H W/ RTX 2060

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by djweissman, Mar 19, 2021.

1. I922sParkCir

I922sParkCir Newbie

Reputations:
    That sounds great! Any chance you can run TimeSpy or share some game settings/framerates you've been seeing.

Also, is this with Optimus on? I've found that with the 115 watt vBIOS and Optimus enabled, the screen flickers a ton.

djweissman likes this.
  2. heero884

heero884 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for doing extensive testing with the 115w vbios and overclocking. I've been debating on doing the flash. Doesn't seem like increasing the wattage removes any significant barrier and mostly increases heat. Jarrod's Tech benched 6,791 for a stock 2060 115W and the 3DMark site lists 6,932 as the average score for a MAX-Q 2070. This laptop was such a good deal, it's too bad the battery is weak and the fan is a bit louder.

Time Spy (https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/62457607)
    Graphics: 6,943
    CPU: 5,110

GPU Max Temp 80
    CPU Max Temp 67

Setup
    GPU Core Clock +210mhz
    Memory Clock +500mhz
    CPU Undervolt -125mv
    Fan Boost On
    Display Mode dGPU Only
    2x 16GB RAM @ 2400MHz (Leftover RAM from another laptop, probably holding back my scores?)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    djweissman likes this.
  3. djweissman

djweissman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey

What tool did y’all use to flash that hp bios?

djweissman

4. Curtis Grove

Curtis Grove Newbie

Reputations:
    @djweissman
    Here is what you need. First up, get the version of nvflash that wont care about your device id being a mismatch:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/download/nvidia-nvflash-with-board-id-mismatch-disabled/

open up a CMD prompt as an admin (start menu search for 'cmd' and then in the options choose 'run as admin')
    You will need some basic dos skills to navigate to the folder you put your nvflash file (once extracted). put the files on my desktop and went there with
    • cd \Users\username\Desktop
    and I renamed it nvflash.exe

Now, you need a bios that matches your 2060. Strangely I found that the one referenced in this thread did not work for me. It was a 1F12 bios, while my 2060 (in the gateway creators) is a 1F15.
    Luckily, there is a vbios that has 115w for an HP that is a 1F15!
    Find your vbios info using the following in CMD:
    • nvflash.exe --list

My result:
    • <0> NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (10DE,1F15,1D05,1097) H:--:NRM S:00,B:01,D:00,F:00
    note my 2060 is a 1F15.

If yours says 1F12, use the bios referenced earlier in the thread. If yours says 1F15 use this one:

I then ran the command
    • nvflash.exe -6 225910.rom
    I had to select 'yes' to a few prompts, the flash was successful and then my screen went black. Nothing worked. I held the power off for about 10 seconds, then rebooted and ... things worked. Power target is raised! I haven't actually done any other testing beyond running a few tests while loading gpu-z to see that it is indeed going above 100w while before it would cap around 90w.

djweissman likes this.
  5. Curtis Grove

Curtis Grove Newbie

Reputations:
    Oh - one other note. Be sure to set the dgpu as primary (and only) in the bios. And expect that the idle power draw goes up by ~20-30w with these changes. Basically, RIP battery life.

djweissman likes this.
  6. djweissman

Reputations:
    Thanks. Very much been looking for a way to do this for awhile but was to Afraid to brick it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. whiterose

whiterose Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for this. I also had the 1F15 bios in mine and used the link to flash as well.
    I am doing some testing with Furmark now and I do see the "Board Power Draw" up to 115W and the GPU Chip Power Draw at 86W and the PWR_SRC Power Draw at 110.1W.

Isn't the GPU supposed to be drawing ~100W? Or is it the entire board?

EDIT: Have been playing Flight Simulator and have MSI afterburner on the top left of my screen and seeing that the limiting factor for the GPU is now "Temperature" which is expected since we're running hotter. I'm at 86*C for the GPU whereas the CPU is somewhere between 85-90*C now and this is with a repaste with MX4 that I did 9 months ago.

Will this affect our CPUs from keeping boost?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
    djweissman likes this.
  8. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's good to get confirmation, it's usually board draw power that indicates what you have. From above the increased temps don't make it worth it really, you'll get throttling, especially since the cpu on this like all newer intel laptop cpus are like furnaces. No matter what I play it's always at least 80c, low end old game like dead space or TW3 at 2k dsr. System failure chance goes up too for only like 5-10fps, nah. Highest I've measured board draw stock was 96w cyberpunk.

djweissman likes this.
  9. djweissman

Reputations:
    Agreed. I won’t risk my baby on the chance it may brick when updating vbios. I’m grateful mine gets same 96W draw. Anyone got an MSI Afterburner overlock that’s a stable profile. If so can you share plz?

Djweissman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hertzian56 likes this.
  10. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I haven't measured the wattage in cyberpunk with my msi oc, core 163 mem 515, not going to reinstall that garbage to do it either. I'd guess +5w so minimal, 5fps probably.

djweissman likes this.