*OFFICIAL* Gateway Creator Series Model: GWTN156-3 i5-10300H W/ RTX 2060

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by djweissman, Mar 19, 2021.

1. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's all too bad, hopefully we can get other more typical user reports about it, just doesn't seem like that's the whole story. 25w should absolutely get you more than that. Synthetic benches are good but don't give the full picture. For example just switching to dgpu I got +22% gpu score in passmark, but almost nothing in the ul/3dmark stuff, but got 5-18% in the three games mentioned using their benchmarks. I'm all at stock other than the MSIAB OC. So games benches would be the best way to make relevant conclusions, we're not interested for non-gaming. I saw the largest benefit, %18, in a CPU game ACod and 5-10% in gpu games like Gears5 and HZD. This is all FPS benefit btw. That's an odd vbios as well, recently uploaded from an HP? weird. At least we have some info though.

djweissman likes this.
  2. I922sParkCir

I922sParkCir Newbie

Reputations:
    UPDATE! I actually ran windows update prior to updating the vBIOS, and installed KB5001330. That update apparently has been causing issues with game performance:

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-windows-10-update-thats-been-trashing-framerates-has-been-fixed/

I uninstalled that update, restarted, and jumped into MSFS 2020. Surprisingly the game ran better. The biggest difference was way fewer drops in performance during particularly taxing sections of the game. When flying through canyons, and close canyon walls I would see stuttering when turning my head. That appears to have smoothed out completely. The frame rates are much more consistent.

This is a GPU-Z log while playing with a little bit of a break in the middle.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1s__sGZJF_jONBs2xLNqUTYUa2kaiDUSfddmDPAoZhOs/edit?usp=sharing

It was about 18°C/65°F in the room I was playing in, so temps are a little lower than the 78°C I experienced last time.

You can see Board Power Draw hits the 120's a few times. I've seen some folks complain about screen flicker with this vBIOS, but I haven't noticed that.

It feels like the game went from just barely in the playable range to totally comfortable at the same settings.

hertzian56 likes this.
  3. hertzian56

Reputations:
    Yeah sounds good, honestly thought that someone would really take this up among all the owners out there and thouroughly report back with benchs etc but looks like not yet. Gimme a few months and I'll be down to do it though, the flash can't really hurt you if you are fully educated about it.

djweissman likes this.
  4. djweissman

djweissman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Your'e welcome. :)

5. djweissman

Reputations:
    I'm gonna risk it. i'll let ya'll know how it goes!!

Djweissman

hertzian56 and sfinney76 like this.
  6. whiterose

whiterose Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is anyone having the CPU throttle? Especially while playing Battlefield 5 or MS flight simulator. I monitor the temps with MSI Afterburner and it looks like its always throttling and dropping back to speeds of 3.2GHZ. I did repaste it in January with MX-4.

djweissman likes this.
  7. hertzian56

Reputations:
    Ok cool be careful and go through a few tutorials. Again it's not a huge gain from what others have reported but as new games come out and this gets older the extra will help along with all the other stuff you can do to soop up the whole system.

djweissman likes this.
  8. djweissman

Reputations:
    I will play it right now and let you know.

9. djweissman

Reputations:
    Thanks for the kind words of caution/warning. Wish me luck. What is a good program that flashes the bios or can someone tell me how to flash the vbios? Never done it b4.
    Djweissman

Last edited: May 24, 2021
    I922sParkCir likes this.
  10. djweissman

Reputations:
    I922sParkCir likes this.