*OFFICIAL* Gateway Creator Series Model: GWTN156-3 i5-10300H W/ RTX 2060

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by djweissman, Mar 19, 2021.

1. djweissman

djweissman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    GWTN156-3 | Gateway USA | Laptops | Ultra Slim | Gateway

[​IMG]
    15.6" FHD Performance Notebook
    Model: GWTN156-3

The Gateway Creator Series 15.6" Performance Notebook is a powerhouse equipped with 10th Gen Intel i5 and an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 allowing you to game with ease or breeze through you daily tasks. The Tuned by THX display screens provide rich, vibrant colors and better contrast and are paired with the Tuned by THX Audio which lets you experience the theater level quality while in the convenience of your home. During gaming, you will feel like you are in the center of the action with the THX Spatial audio software which provides stereo and spatial surround sound through headphones by simulating a 7.1 surround sound.

• Windows 10 Home
    • 10th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-10300H Processor (2.5GHz, Up to 4.5GHz, 8M Cache)
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB vRAM
    • Tuned by THX™ Audio & Display
    • 256 GB Solid State Drive
    • 8 GB Onboard RAM
    Available Colors

[​IMG]
    Inside Box

Product Dimensions

Length: 14.8”

Height: 9.6”

Width: 0.8"

[​IMG]
    Gateway Laptop

Laptop Charger

Warranty Book

Quick Start Guide

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Product Specs
    Processor

10th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-10300H Processor (2.5GHz, Up to 4.5GHz, 8M Cache)

Display

15.6” LCD IPS Display, (1920 x 1080), 120Hz

Hard Drive

256 GB Solid State Drive

Micro SD

Micro SD Slot (Up to 512 GB) x 1

Speakers

Built-in Stereo Speakers x 2

Front Camera

1MP Front-Facing Camera

Battery Life

Up to 8.5 hours of battery life

RAM Memory

8 GB Onboard RAM

Ports

USB 2.0 x 1 USB 3.0 x 1

Microphone

Built-in Microphone

[​IMG]
    Main Features
    Windows 10 Home
    Tuned by THX™ Audio
    Tuned by THX Disaply
    Built-in Microphone
    Built-in Stereo Speakers x 2
    Up to 5 hours of battery life

[​IMG]

Take it Anywhere
    THE GATEWAY CREATOR SERIES 15.6" PERFORMANCE NOTEBOOK IS A POWERHOUSE EQUIPPED WITH 10TH GEN INTEL I5 AND AN NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060 ALLOWING YOU TO GAME WITH EASE OR BREEZE THROUGH YOU DAILY TASKS. THE TUNED BY THX DISPLAY SCREENS PROVIDE RICH, VIBRANT COLORS AND BETTER CONTRAST AND ARE PAIRED WITH THE TUNED BY THX AUDIO WHICH LETS YOU EXPERIENCE THE THEATER LEVEL QUALITY WHILE IN THE CONVENIENCE OF YOUR HOME. DURING GAMING, YOU WILL FEEL LIKE YOU ARE IN THE CENTER OF THE ACTION WITH THE THX SPATIAL AUDIO SOFTWARE WHICH PROVIDES STEREO AND SPATIAL SURROUND SOUND THROUGH HEADPHONES BY SIMULATING A 7.1 SURROUND SOUND.

If you are thinking of getting one of these great laptops, they can sometimes be found here refurbished for $650. Refurbished Gateway GWTN156-3BK 15.6" Notebook Intel i5-10300H Processor 2.5GHz 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 10 - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

This is a great unboxing and review of the laptop with a look inside. Gateway Creator Series 15.6" Performance Notebook: Yes, They're Back... - YouTube upload_2021-3-19_9-28-49.jpeg

MUX switch is located under the “advanced” tab in the bios. Enabling the dGPU only will enable more options in the Nvidia control panel.

Undervolting is also located in the advanced section of the bios. (capped at –50)

Recovery has the ability to install from the internet as well as the local partition. This is something I haven't seen since owning a MacBook a decade ago.

This is a great thread started by hertzian56 with tons of useful info. Gateway Creators Series 15.6" RTX 2060 i5-10300H | NotebookReview

Drivers can be found here thanks to Catlas_Se7en from Reddit: https://help.maingear.com/article/68-maingear-vector-2020-drivers-and-bios-downloads

Drivers can also be found here: Eluktronics RP-15 Laptop Review: The Ryzen 7 4800H Impresses Yet Again - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

I've also stumbled upon this thread which refers to a chassis/model similar to this: TONGFANG GK5CN5Z / GK5CN6Z / GK5CQ7Z / GK5CP0Z | NotebookReview

This is a review of the Ryzen version assembled by Eluktronics: Eluktronics RP-15 Laptop Review: The Ryzen 7 4800H Impresses Yet Again - NotebookCheck.net Reviews.

Thanks to Plane_John for this thread that contains a lot of information. Gateway Creator 15.6” Performance Notebook i5/RTX2060 First Impressions : GamingLaptops (reddit.com)

This thread has a lot of information that's very helpful. https://slickdeals.net/f/14537105-g...tx-2060-649-free-shipping?page=32#commentsBox

GPU is Nvidia and panel is FreeSync.

Time Spy with directx 12 upgrade:

Combined score: 6,243
    Graphics Score
    CPU Score

CyberPunk 2077
    high with ray tracing and dlss around 50 FPS
    the adjustable bar for quality was only 3 ticks lower than max.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    sfinney76 likes this.
  2. SirSherlockHolmes

SirSherlockHolmes Newbie

Reputations:
    Decided to mess the BIOS & EC, unfortunately, GatewayUSA does not provide their own files. The system came stock with N1.02. I decided to install the BIOS & EC from XMG's Intel Core 15 which has an i7 over an i5. But the same chassis. The BIOS is N1.03 and actually enabled some additional features. The boot logo of course changed, but the only issue I am now experiencing is that I didn't realize (my fault) that the XMG model has a different Media/FN key layout, so the EC update remapped the FN keys. So f11 which is normally Brightness Down on the Gateway is Airplane mode on the XMG. This is slightly annoying, but liveable, so hopefully, I can revert back to the Gateway EC (Can't find a copy of it) to restore the proper mappings.

Also, the Performance profile button next to the power button has been remapped to a fan boost button. Everything else is working great with no issues.

These were the files I used:
    Bios-XMG_CORE_XCO15E20_XCO17E20_RTX2060_BIOS_N1.03
    Bios-CORE-15_XCO15E20_GK5MR0O_RTX2060_EC_11.630

djweissman likes this.
  3. djweissman

djweissman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sir,

I wonder how we would obtain the factory bios. I'm still hoping that they make drivers available to us since the laptop has sold so well. Did you notice performance differences or fan differences when flashing a new EC?

4. SirSherlockHolmes

SirSherlockHolmes Newbie

Reputations:
    I was able to get the factory EC and BIOS for the Gateway I will be keeping the XMG bios but using the Gateway EMC to get my propper media keys back.

3BK_intel_CML_10L_GK5MR0O_ESI_BIOS_N.1.02_EC_1.16.20_20200810.zip (dropbox.com)

djweissman likes this.
  5. whiterose

whiterose Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone been able to unlock the bios and see perhaps if we can squeeze some more power out of the GPU?