Official Gateway 78xx Series FX BIOS - 9c.05.00 thru 9c.17.00

Discussion in 'Gateway and eMachines' started by E-wrecked, Sep 25, 2008.

?

Sticky? What do ya think?

1. Sticky it!

91.3%
  2. Let it slip..

6.5%
  3. huh?

2.2%
  1. jmsigler2

jmsigler2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sorry for being very late in the game with a reply. TANWare made an excellent but fundamental comment about making sure the drive is initialized. Microsoft started this in Windows NT 4.0 under one of the service packs for security reasons. I think it has to do with detecting drives that have been moved from one machine to another. I had SCSI drives once upon a time and moving drives between machines at one point produced no error, even boot drives. But after loading one of the service packs I suddenly received a Dr. Watson error. Anyway, drives running under Windows require initialization.

Closer to your situation possibly with the Gateway P-7805u, I changed my system from non-RAID to RAID, from an OEM 32oGB drive to two Seagate 250GB drives in RAID 0. And now, I am running two Seagate Momentus XT 500GB drives in RAID 0 (Stripe) for almost a Terabyte of space. My cluster sizes are large, maybe 128KB, which I think was the default. In my Gateway P-173XL FX laptop, I have two Seagate Momentus XT 750GB drives running in RAID 1 (Mirror); I do not remember the OEM drive(s) I started with in this computer, so I cannot tell you if I switch from non-RAID to RAID on that system. I did a good bit of research on changing the system from non-RAID to RAID without having to reload the OS from scratch. Intel only support the path to reconfiguring the BIOS and then reloading the OS from scratch; however, an alternate path does exist. This path is tricky as you have to modify the registry before doing a backup-restore operation. But, I would do a backup "as-is" first. I would then do a backup-restore operation with the modified registry second. The effect of the modifications is to change the driver nomenclature from non-RAID to RAID, or vise-versa. Microsoft only loads one driver typically when loading a new OS from scratch, one for non-RAID or one for RAID. It knows what driver to load from the Registry settings which are likely pulled from the BIOS configuration. If you update the BIOS and Registry setting(s) for the disk driver from non-RAID to RAID before backup-restore, then the OS will look to load the RAID driver on demand. This worked for me. The danger I could see here is that you update the Registry, and BIOS maybe, then reboot the computer by accident or from some system glitch where you are then trying to run RAID with one drive, or the reverse non-RAID with two drives. So, you have to be careful. With research, you can find information on this process on the web as I did. I produced an artifact document on my research. I will try to find it and post it for you. It may be the eventual path you wish to take. In your case, you have two different non-redundant drives, one HDD, one HHD (or SSD) with a different voltage requirement. I have configured my dad's Lenovo Ideapad to use an mSATA SSD for a boot drive (or programs-applications drive), and his OEM 5400rpm drive as a second drive for data or backups. I would like to update the latter OEM drive to a faster 7200rpm HDD drive later and use the OEM drive for backups. I have this document and can provided it to you, but it is too large to upload here. You can reach me at jmsigler2@hotmail.com if you want to request a copy of this document from me.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  2. rfrance67

rfrance67 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello all,

I recently upgraded to W10, and it is working pretty well. I am having one issue that I have not been able to knock down, a BSOD during sleep, hibernate and shutdown. Happens every time, details are here if anyone else is having a similar issue:
    http://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crash...x0000001a-00000000-00004477-a.html#post514904

I am on 9C.25 (which is working fine for me BTW) but after upgrading a while ago (when I went from 4GB to 8GB, installed SSD, driver refresh and other general upgrades) it seems that this BIOS update has been pulled and some are reporting trouble with it. I don't game much, use it for CAD, media work and development, so haven't had thermal issues that I am aware of so far. Fans crank up sometimes under load, but no funny behaviour. Normal use CPU temps are in the 40Cs and 50Cs, GPU temp is around 75C (just now measured it) - which is hotter than I expected honestly. Only time I know it got really hot was I had a problem for a while that the latch switch would cause it to come out of suspend in a bag, then it got hot! Fixed that pretty quickly though, never saw any signs of damage from that.

Now I am wondering if possibly an earlier BIOS might have different DDR settings that could eliminate this issue. I read a few threads about DDR replacement and the 1T issue, and I don't have that problem. I am running two 4GB matched Patriot sticks (details below if anyone is interested in an upgrade to 8GB).

So I am wondering if I should retro back to .23 or even .17 and see if the timings are different? I don't really know how often they mess with those, or if they are pretty much all the same. I really don't know much about the guts of the memory configuration in the BIOS at all. I have seen references to people messing with the settings, perhaps out of BIOS, but that seems risky and not sure how it would work really. If I remember right from when I did the upgrade, some of the lower revs (I had .08 at the time of upgrade) didn't support 8GB.

If anyone has any ideas, I appreciate any and all feedback.

And thanks to all, especially TANWare for a lot of good info when I was doing the BIOS update the first time around. I love my 7805 and hope to keep it going for a while yet. Just have my fingers crossed that a mandatory OS/driver update doesn't come along and kill it!

Regards & thanks in advance!

Bob

Details on my 4GB sticks:

DIMM # 1
    SMBus address 0x50
    Memory type DDR3
    Module format SO-DIMM
    Manufacturer (ID) Patriot Memory (7F7F7F7F7F0200000000)
    Size 4096 MBytes
    Max bandwidth PC3-12800 (800 MHz)
    Part number PSD34G16002S
    Number of banks 8
    Nominal Voltage 1.50 Volts
    EPP no
    XMP no
    AMP no
    JEDEC timings table CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-tRC @ frequency
    JEDEC #1 5.0-5-5-14-19 @ 380 MHz
    JEDEC #2 6.0-6-6-16-22 @ 457 MHz
    JEDEC #3 7.0-7-7-19-26 @ 533 MHz
    JEDEC #4 8.0-8-8-22-30 @ 609 MHz
    JEDEC #5 9.0-9-9-24-33 @ 685 MHz
    JEDEC #6 10.0-10-10-27-37 @ 761 MHz
    JEDEC #7 11.0-11-11-28-39 @ 800 MHz

3. rfrance67

rfrance67 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello all,
    Case closed. I figured out that it was the Connexant softmodem driver. I fixed that (kind of a long story) but now I can go into and out of sleep, shutdown etc, with no BSOD! I documented the debugging steps including using WinDbg to figure out a recurring driver failure in the thread, maybe it will help someone. So I can confirm that there is at least on P78 out there on 9C.25 that runs great with no known issues.

Best regards,
    Bob

Here is the link one more time for future reference:
    http://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crash...x0000001a-00000000-00004477-a.html#post514904