Official Gateway 78xx Series FX BIOS - 9c.05.00 thru 9c.17.00

Discussion in 'Gateway and eMachines' started by E-wrecked, Sep 25, 2008.

?

Sticky? What do ya think?

1. Sticky it!

91.3%
  2. Let it slip..

6.5%
  3. huh?

2.2%
  1. laptop_central_station

laptop_central_station Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  2. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Moderator

Reputations:
  3. countryboyjt

countryboyjt Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a 7805u I am on 17 gpu fan dont work at all thinking of hardwiring it to get it to work not sure if I should upgrade bios or not from what ive read I want to oc my processor is 17 going to let me do that?

4. countryboyjt

countryboyjt Newbie

Reputations:
    do u have a 64bit version? plz trying to OC i need it unlocked ty

5. TANWare

Reputations:
    There is no way to unlock these for OC on the CPU. To overclock the CPU either you need to get a Xtreme CPU or for FSB you need to make a hard modification to the main board..............

6. psyauto

psyauto Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  7. x002657

x002657 Newbie

Reputations:
    THANKS to both of you (laptop_central & TANWare) for your replies.

I finally worked up the nerve to make the changes. Looking in SETUP for BIOS 9.05.00, the machine is set for AHCI. BIOS 9.23 and all but 1 driver have been installed and working, and looking in "SETUP" for BIOS 9.23 also shows AHCI. . The only 'driver' that hasn't installed is the AHCI/SATA driver. No "setup.exe" file was found in the zip for that driver, but there are 2 apps: iata_cd and iata_enu. I'm not sure what to do with those, and because Win 7 is already installed, I don't want to go through the pains of re-installing.

FWIW, I also installed the "PowerManager" app. Now the fan turns on/off more frequently, and the heat rises and falls, but that isn't a problem for me in the environment where I use the laptop (very noisy and pretty dusty).

So, the only problem I have left is how to get a 2nd SSD recognized.

When purchased, the machine came with dual HDDs. I replaced both with SSDs, but only the C drive is recognized. The 2nd drive, (what I hoped would be 'D'), is supposed to store small video files, (approx. 60-70 MB each) that I need to play. I was hoping to get smoother, less-choppy performance storing those on an SSD and playing from there, but I can't figure out how to get the 2nd drive recognized.
    Is that related to Intel's Matrix Storage Technology/Rapid Storage Technology?
    The readme file claims that the AHCI drivers must be installed prior to installing Win 7. I didn't know that at the time I installed the SSDs.
    If so, is there any way to install RST without having to re-install Win 7? Would doing that solve my problem?
    Or, is this machine simply incapable of using dual SSDs?

Any additional feedback/input would be appreciated.

Thanks so much.

8. x002657

x002657 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have to correct my prior post...sincere apologies for the confusion...I think I was suffering temporary insanity.

I do NOT have 2 SSDs. My C drive is an SSD, and is working fine. My 2nd drive is a 750MB HDD. That is the one not recognized.

When I checked the 9.05.00 BIOS before updating to 9.23.00, the machine was originally set to AHCI without the RAID option available.
    After updating to 9.23.00 BIOS 'SETUP' still showed only IDE and AHCI as option.
    I eventually removed the HDD, rebooted, and checked BIOS 'SETUP' again, and RAID appeared as an option in the BIOS "SETUP".
    I then re-installed the HDD, and "RAID" still appeared in the BIOS 'SETUP".
    However, after Win 7 has loaded, and when selecting "Computer/Manage", the drive still does not appear.

So, while the 9.23.00 BIOS has provided the RAID option, and presumably made other necessary changes, I'm still unable to get the HDD recognized.

Any ideas on how I should proceed would be greatly appreciated.

9. TANWare

Reputations:
    Once the drive is there go to, in control panel, administration tools, computer management and disk management. You will need to initialize the drive then format it etc.

10. x002657

x002657 Newbie

Reputations:
    Another thing I noticed that may be prevenitng recognition of the 2nd drive (a Seagate Momentus drive) is that it is rated at 5V while the SSD (a Crucial M4 drive) and the Seagate HDD are both rated at 4V.
    Might that voltage difference be the reason the why the Momentus drive is not being recognized? I also noticed that once it's in the machine, even though it isn't recognized by Disk Manager, it does get very warm.

Am I relegated to only drives rated at 4V?