**OFFICIAL** Dell XPS M1730 Owner's Lounge, *Part 4*

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by nzaptx, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Consi Pit

Consi Pit Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Does anyone tried Dark Souls ? - I wonder how it runs on M1730

2. sgheeter

sgheeter Newbie

Reputations:
  3. desone01

desone01 Newbie

Reputations:
    Can someone help me with information about the UJ220 Panasonic Blu-Ray drive.
    I have a M1730 with a TSST L632H drive with appears to be faulty. I obtained a UJ220 Panasonic drive from the UK. The drive is bare without a front bezel. Does the TSST bezel fit the Panasonic drive? If it doesn't can anyone suggest where I can get the correct bezel for the UJ220 drive.

4. desone01

desone01 Newbie

Reputations:
    The heatsink and fan is not upgradeable in the M1730. I recently upgraded the CPU to an X9000 without any heating problems. A tube of arctic silver heat conductive paste is essential when changing the CPU.

I am running a 9800M GTX video card with a seperate Ageia Physics card installed. It runs with no problems. I know the 9800M GTX has its own Ageia Physics processor built in. Mine runs ok with no problem at all.

5. slowtomove

slowtomove Newbie

Reputations:
    Two months ago I upgraded my XPS M1730 from a T9300 to an X9000. I just spread a paper thin coat of Arctic Silver 5 on the X9000 heat sink, tinned the copper heat sink by spreading AS5 on it and then wiped it off to fill in the microscopic holes in the copper and put it back together. Then I tightened the copper heat sink down securely. Also clean any dust off the radiator. The existing cooling system will work just fine. Remember to keep the back of the laptop raised off the desk about a quarter to half an inch when it's turned on for better cooling.

There's a really good description with photos somewhere in Notebook Review that I used to do the upgrade. Can't remember where it is, but if you google it you should be able to find it.

Well, it took me awhile, but I finally found the link to photos showing how to disassemble an XPS M1730 to upgrade the CPU to an X9000. Here's the link to the photos in Notebookreview:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-xps-studio-xps/385427-xps-m1730-disassembly-guide.html

It's a detailed task requiring careful execution, but not difficult.

BTW, Ripfire, tx for the photos. They made all the difference.

6. 72hundred

72hundred Revolutions-Per-Millennia

Reputations:
    Does anyone have any experience of getting a replacement keyboard under premium warranty - I emailed a few days ago as my " . " button has been loose for months and occasionally comes off.

They emailed back to say it wasn't covered. I paid over 150 euro for a 2/3 year extension (can't remember now), I'm really not impressed that this isn't covered. I can understand the battery not being covered.

7. eleron911

eleron911 HighSpeedFreak

Reputations:
    Well, in the meantime, I've installed the 304.79 driver, and it has a pretty decent SLI profile for it. Increase is around 20% in framerate. Although I am not running at max, its still in native resolution, 2xAA, all High/Very High.

Surprised to hear that. But a keyboard should be fairly inexpensive, but insist upon it. It should be covered, no doubt about it.

8. desone

desone Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My XPS M1730 Device Manager M1730.jpg

My Panasonic UJ220 Blu-Ray drive arrived today. It was a bare drive without the front bezel and rear mounting bracket. I currently had a TSST drive which wouldn't read some CDs. I removed the old drive and the front bezel. It fitted straight on the Panasonic drive with no problem. For all those out there considering an upgrade this is my feedback.

I installed a mini pci express tv tuner in my M1730 . It's a Yuan MC872 DVB-T tv tuner. For the antennae I ran a pigtail from the tv card to a spare spot next to the DVI video card outlet. The 9800M GTX video card has a small blank space where the SVHS video out would be. The outlet is a RPSMA plug. I simply drilled a hole in the plastic. The plastic is very weak and requires reinforcement with a thicker piece of plastic. All I had to do was change the aerial plug to a female SMA plug. The tv tuner works great with Windows Media Centre. TV looks great on the 1920 x 1200 screen.

I would insist on Dell honouring the warranty. If that fails you can easily source a new keyboard on eBay at a very reasonable price. If the keyboard is exactly the same you could remove the problem individual keys and replace them with new ones. The other option is to replace the whole keyboard whiich takes about 5 minutes. There are four screws holding the keyboard in place. You simply slide it towards the screen to remove it. Be careful not to damage the small cable which attaches to the motherboard. The lock catch moves vertically upwards to remove the cable. The assembly is the reverse.

9. 72hundred

72hundred Revolutions-Per-Millennia

Reputations:
    Many thanks for the suggestions regarding Dell and the warranty. I'm not impressed by it and will follow up with them by email.

I've another query though - what brand of screw drivers to you use to dissemble your M1730? Some of the old heads around here might remember ages and ages ago when I cleaned my fans and there was a thick application of dust on the fans... (I put up pic's)... anyways the laptop is doing the same thing as before now, over heating etc. But the last time I did it I stripped the head of my screw driver - so now I need a new one, that hopefully is of better quality.

10. desone

desone Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You need a small phillips screwdriver. Move the screen back as far as it will go and lift the on/off button panel from the right hand side of the screen. There is a small notch for a flat screwdriver blade. Lift the cover off carefully. There are four screws holding the keyboard in place. Slide the keyboard towards the screen and lift up about two inches. There is a small ribbon cable which attaches to the motherboard. A small lock (brown in colour) at the rear where the cable is mounted lifts up vertically to release the cable. The keyboard can then be removed. Assembly is the reverse. Make sure you seat the ribbon cable properly when reassembling and push the lock arm back in place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.